Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I was messing around with adding Ubuntu, as a dual boot option, along with my current Win7 install. Now, one of my secondary hard drives is showing up as a dynamic simple volume when it used to be a basic primary partition. This drive is only used for game installs and media storage. Are there negatives to having it now set as a dynamic simple volume?

I ask because it seems like the only way to convert it back to a basic primary partition is to re-format the drive.

Cheers!

Edit: Resolved based on info in responses.

·
Registered
48 Posts
A Dynamic volume is simply one that can be used as part of what is essentially a software RAID array.

As a Dynamic simple disk, that means it is not part of an array and therefore there is no real difference between it and a standard partition

PS. In Windows RAID0 is called spanned volumes, RAID1 mirrored and RAID5 is only available in server 2008 if i remember correctly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
No concerns here... Basic VS Dynamic offers more options when formatting in regards to performance when you have multiple HDDs or need more than 4 Partitions per HDD.

If you do want to convert it back... (No real benefit IMHO) then you would need to backup all data on the drive, delete all Volumes, then convert back to basic, then create your new Basic Partition, and restore data from backup... Hope that helps...

You can also check this out for more detail...
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...85(VS.85).aspx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts