Overclock.net banner

Basic Software for Web Designers/Developers/Programmers

522 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  StarryNite
Well I have a thread about Mac alternatives... but I need some basic software for XP... I've decided against getting a Macbook, atleast until the next update comes out... so I'm going to be staying on windows for a while so I'm fine paying a moderate amount for software...

What are the best programs for:
  • Revision/Version Control (Programs that handle revisions without creating physical files)
  • Local Dev Servers (To Test files)
  • FTP Apps? Filezilla?
  • Timelogging/Invoicing for Freelance work
Also, on a side note:

Anyone know any good tutorials on slicing up images with CSS instead of using HTML tables? I've heard that using tables is bad because tables render differently in different browsers, they take longer to load and can break easily with small errors such as in tags.

Thanks again!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Quote:

Anyone know any good tutorials on slicing up images with CSS instead of using HTML tables? I've heard that using tables is bad because tables render differently in different browsers, they take longer to load and can break easily with small errors such as in tags.

Thanks again!

Its not so much different rendering as an accessibility issue. I can't think of any tutorials right off hand, because I learned from a book.
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by timw4mail
View Post

Its not so much different rendering as an accessibility issue. I can't think of any tutorials right off hand, because I learned from a book.

It's pretty difficult, as there's too many browsers and the CSS box model was never designed to do what web designers are doing with it (why we're waiting for CSS 3.0 to become standard). They're using divs the same way they did tables (which got us into this whole mess in the first place).

To convert from image slicing without tables would mean a lot of divs, and anyone who ever had to make a XHTML 1.0 Strict website can attest, it's a hair pulling experience to get them to work in even the major browsers.

Check the HTML coding for vBulletin, you'll still see tables. It won't change until after CSS 3.0 is standard. W-a-y too much work to convert.

OP, if the design is pretty simple it will suffice. If it's more than 3 images, get a appropriate book and learn the CSS/XHTML tags well (especially how to use divs, and what designers are doing with the box model, and how browsers treat margins and padding differently).
See less See more
use filezilla for ftp i use it all day long and no problems :\\
Quote:

Originally Posted by StarryNite
View Post

It's pretty difficult, as there's too many browsers and the CSS box model was never designed to do what web designers are doing with it (why we're waiting for CSS 3.0 to become standard). They're using divs the same way they did tables (which got us into this whole mess in the first place).

To convert from image slicing without tables would mean a lot of divs, and anyone who ever had to make a XHTML 1.0 Strict website can attest, it's a hair pulling experience to get them to work in even the major browsers.

Check the HTML coding for vBulletin, you'll still see tables. It won't change until after CSS 3.0 is standard. W-a-y too much work to convert.

OP, if the design is pretty simple it will suffice. If it's more than 3 images, get a appropriate book and learn the CSS/XHTML tags well (especially how to use divs, and what designers are doing with the box model, and how browsers treat margins and padding differently).

enlightening post

I guess I'll stick with tables for the meantime... I'll still probably go to the library and check out some books on CSS/XHTML and learn some about divs.

edit:

oh and I have another request... are there any web blogs that discuss all the latest news about coding/programming? I guess it can branch outside of web technologies...?
See less See more
* Revision/Version Control (Programs that handle revisions without creating physical files)
hands down TortoiseSVN, it integrates with explorer. Then get WinDiff, very good diff tool.
* Local Dev Servers (To Test files)
get a WAMP stack, i've used XAMP, it's good.
* FTP Apps? Filezilla?
filezilla is good, sftp over ssh2 is a necessity for me.
* Timelogging/Invoicing for Freelance work
can't recommend one here, all the best ones imo are on mac :/

look up tutorials on liquid css.
then on making columns using divs.

then i'm sure you'll find out that you really only need to use tables for tabular data, and not for layouts

hth
See less See more
Quote:

Originally Posted by commandercup
View Post

oh and I have another request... are there any web blogs that discuss all the latest news about coding/programming? I guess it can branch outside of web technologies...?

Best to get a background primer in what scripting and programming you're interested in first (as it's an acronym soup out there!). That way you can better understand what's being discussed. If you went to a site about Ruby (on Rails) if you didn't know something about it, you'd swear it's much like Python or Perl -- but it's not.

Online, usually, the scripting you'll be following mostly is CSS/XHTML; php; and javascript (unless you're MS orientated, where it would be ASP; .net; and C# -- and the site for that is MS's Tech9). All three work hand-in-hand in web design, and you'll be using them religiously. Web developers also will learn how to use graphic programs (raster and Flash), to also impliment them into their designs.

It's a pretty hefty field to master, and few do (wind up specializing in either programming or graphics, instead).
See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.