Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm starting a new project, prob early next year, but I'm in the planning phase. Its P4 obviously, but I want advice on motherboards. I'm in the fortunate position of not being worried about price, but I want something based on the 875 chipset, and that I can seriously overclock. I've heard that either ASUS, DFI or ABit are good choices, but I must admit, unless strongly suggested otherwise, I'd go for DFI or asus. It's going to host either a 3.0 or 3.2 S478 CPU, which will be water cooled. If anybody has got a similar board that they have already overclocked, so they know it definitely works well, thats even better. I have an MSI 925X mobo on my current machine, but it does not overclock well, so I'm starting a new project. I'm very much open to suggestions from other board manufacturers, so please fire away with your expertise guys :-D

Thanks in advance,

Matt

EDIT = Ok, I've been reading up and how about this - ABit IC7-G? Apparently they're really hard to get hold of? Anyway, I've found a place that has 1 in stock, is it going to do the job do people think?

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
I would go with one of the 865/ or 875/LGA hybrid boards. The DFI 875P-T was the one that fugger from xs.org broke 6 GHz with. Maybe a 3.6 or 3.8?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoAffinity

I would go with one of the 865/ or 875/LGA hybrid boards. The DFI 875P-T was the one that fugger from xs.org broke 6 GHz with. Maybe a 3.6 or 3.8?

Hmmm, interesting, gonna have a think, got an LGA775 machine already, n I wanted S478 as the gears a bit cheaper if I blow it up lol! Gonna chew it over for a while though. Can I just say what an immensely useful site this is, you guys know your stuff, and seem very happy to help. The guides rock, read the awesome PSU sleeving guide yesterday, ordered the kit at 3:30, arrived this morning, and I'm doing it this weekend, I'll let you all know how badly I screw it up lol. Seriously though, I've learnt loads in 2 days reading, so cheers guys.

Matt :-D

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MattTodd

I have an MSI 925X mobo on my current machine, but it does not overclock well, so I'm starting a new project. I'm very much open to suggestions from other board manufacturers, so please fire away with your expertise guys :-D

Thanks in advance,

Matt

EDIT = Ok, I've been reading up and how about this - ABit IC7-G? Apparently they're really hard to get hold of? Anyway, I've found a place that has 1 in stock, is it going to do the job do people think?

im pretty sure the 478 counterparts are more expensive then the LGAs...so it would be cheaper to do a 775 instead.the reason that the msi board dussnt over clock well is because its a msi, not because its a 925x.....if u get a better mobo for your pressy, u will be able to get way higher OCes. but if u want to take the 478 route, i have the ic7-g and it is 1 awsum mobo, with great reliablility....but my 925XE abit mobo is absoulutly hands down the coolest and best mobo ive ever got.
but the ic7 g isnt hard to get, just its upgrade, the ic7 Max 3 which is unfindable.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Oh sorry, didn't see s478 (maybe you edited it in after I posted?).

Well then, anything in the way of Asus' P4C800 line, Abit's IC7 line or DFI's Pro875 Lanparty line. They're all top notch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts