Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just put in a brand new corsair 750tx, but im pretty sure that the fan controller on it is broken. i haven't heard it change speed and it's quite loud. after googling it appears that this is a common problem. i could easily open it and attach the fan to my motherboard to solve the noise problem, but doing so would void the warranty. is there a bathtub curve for power supply failures and if so how long should i wait before being reasonably certain that it won't die on me? i know people will suggest rma but there is really no reason to since i could easily solve the problem myself. the MTBF is posted as 100,000 hours so i figure i won't have to use the warranty if i make it out of the danger zone, if one exists. i suspect that they do burn in tests at the factory to weed out the bathtub failures...

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
MTBF is not life expectancy. In fact MTBF is absolutely meaningless to general consumers.

It's not worth voiding the warranty... Email Corsair and see if they are willing to cross-ship you a new one.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Ive been meaning to make an article on bathtub curves. Will start on it when Im back from CES

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
do you think i should rma it as well phaedras? it's seasonic made. ugh what a hassle

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
corsair got back to me today and they wanted me to pay for shipping it to them. nah...
i cracked open the psu and pulled the fan. yate loon D14SH-12, thats a 140mm high speed fan.i replaced the psu fan with a 120mm low speed yate loon i had.
i think the fan controller was working after all, because the thing is loud at 30% in speedfan and it won't spin at 25%. it can move a hell of a lot of air at 100% though. it's on my cpu heatsink right now, but not for long.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts