Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys... just picked up a laptop for cheap off of craigslist. Replaced the battery and charger but it's not prompting me that it's charging when I plug in the charger... I've looked it up the best I could on google and I believe I've pinpointed the exact problem considering there's a vista label on the laptop but it seems to have been upgraded because the driver page on the manufacturer website doesn't even list any win7 drivers.

Here's the link for what I found.

http://jeffreypalermo.com/blog/plugged-in-not-charging-windows-7-solution/

Now I wouldn't be here if it were that simple
tongue.gif
... when I go into the device manager it only lists Microsoft AC and another one that I can't even uninstall. The "Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery" doesn't even show up at all so that's were I'm stuck right now.

If anyone knows a fix for this I would greatly appreciate a point in the right direction but as it stands right now I'm having a problem with it not charging and having it randomly shut down which I think I fixed by applying some electrical tape to the tip of the charger.

Another question... I don't know if It's running a legitimate copy of windows 7 or not... I've never seen or dealt with a non-legitimate copy of windows 7 so I don't know what the dead ringers are if any. So if anyone knows how I can figure that out as well I'd be grateful.

Thanks!

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I gotcha thanks for that but I've already bought a new battery and charger for it. Computers just not prompting me that the battery is charging which apparently is a known problem with PC's designed for vista running win7. My problem is that the fix involves uninstalling a driver that the computer doesn't have.

As for the activation part... my suspicions were correct unfortunately. It's always a dead giveaway when the automatic updates have been shut off for 2 years XD. I'm going to update it if no one can help me out with this problem and see what happens... if it locks me out I have the serial # for vista on the bottom still so I'll try my luck with that.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Windows update prompts me that windows update needs to update XD... I think it's running windows 7 pre-SP1. I haven't dealt with that yet... I just know it's going to brick that copy of windows. I'm skimming by at the moment because there's a light that prompts how the battery is doing when it charges at least. Yellow blinks when it's about to die... a solid yellow when it's charging... and green when it's fully charged. Unplug the cable though and your guess is as good as mine... just run it until it dies.

Of topic though... what selling price would you put on my rig in my sig. Thinking of craigslisting it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts