Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
New001
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why has no smart phone producer made a smart phone that has a battery that can last a few days with regular use? For years now I've had high end phones ($800++) which have the among the best batteries on the market, yet I'll never get through a full day on one charge. Why is it so difficult to find a readily available phone that can last days without charge, but also provides basic smart phone features. I'd happily give away 99% of the apps I use, coverage, camera quality, size of phone, quality of screen, etc, etc, for the extra battery life (without juggling multiple batteries).

** why do i need to do a human verification for every post this is a joke. this site has gone to hell....

·
Overclocker
11,643 Posts
Dunno my cheap China phone with 2000mAh compared to 3000mAh it had originally lasts about a week of my use.

The problem with phones is that screens eat crap ton of battery, especially OLED types, the larger the worse. Also the performance expensive phones and even cheaper phones have is quite big, offering low lag and decent app performance, pretty graphics and other stuff, this eats battery. So does having WiFi on 24/7, bluetooth, ... higher speed connections 3G/4G, ...

It is not what big corporations want to sell, they go after best specs nonsense hunt, the bigger the better the faster the better etc.
Not after a pocketable phone that is a phone lasting a week and not a phablet lasting a day at best.

You would have to hunt down for less known devices that are very simple, much more power efficient and come with a big battery.

Want to play games on your phablet all day and last a week, forget it. Even web browsing will eat the battery in no time.

The problem isn't batteries, some are OK on more recent devices but the processing power, displays and wireless connections eat this battery quickly.

·
Totally Tubular
1,508 Posts
Why has no smart phone producer made a smart phone that has a battery that can last a few days with regular use? For years now I've had high end phones ($800++) which have the among the best batteries on the market, yet I'll never get through a full day on one charge. Why is it so difficult to find a readily available phone that can last days without charge, but also provides basic smart phone features. I'd happily give away 99% of the apps I use, coverage, camera quality, size of phone, quality of screen, etc, etc, for the extra battery life (without juggling multiple batteries).
Because you are in a very small minority, and they don't make smartphones for you. People want more features, not less.

It would take an unexpected breakthrough in battery technology to get what you want. Or, a manufacturer going against all sense and making a less-smart smartphone.

·
TEC Veteran
2,007 Posts

** why do i need to do a human verification for every post this is a joke. this site has gone to hell....

If you want a phone with good battery life, your best choice IMO are actually the two new Android Blackberries. I get 2 days minimum out of my KEYone Black Edition, and my Wife was so impressed that she wanted the Motion (which is the no keyboard version that is also waterproof/dustproof) shortly after. If I come off charger at 8am, by 10pm I am usually at 65-70% still. Motion battery life is slightly better.

I regularly get 8-10hrs SOT with no battery saver mode, no downclocking, no crazy tweaks, and I charge it every two days. 5 emails+Twitter synced to hub, constant BT with my Gear3, HOURS of web browsing and Twitter per day, light gaming here and there, and at least a few hours of music a day. One of the few Androids (only one besides the Pixels?) to get monthly security updates direct from Google so you always have the latest security patch, and modern features like fingerprint sensor(integrated in the space bar, pretty cool) and the same camera sensor as the Pixel2. The DTEK software lets you easily monitor app behavior and permissions and adjust each individual permission on an OS level so the app doesnt yell at you for disabling things like Location (so apps like Groupon will work but wont drain your battery by pinging location 30,000+ times per week in the background). No resource hogging launcher and overlay, no carrier bloatware, nearly bone stock Android OS.

It won't benchmark big fancy numbers since it is a mid range processor, and the screen isnt a billion res...but with 64GB internal, 2TB micro SD slot, 4GB Ram, monthly Android patches, USB-C, 2 day battery life, and a headphone jack it really is a killer daily driver phone :thumb:. Can get it for around $500 unlocked, no contract, worldwide bands. It is a pure productivity device with very few sacrifices for normal use.

For a more capable media consumption device the Motion has all of the above but without the keyboard so much bigger screen, an even larger battery (4000mah), and is waterproof and dust proof.

Also, if you live in a Northern climate the battery doesn't drain super fast in below freezing weather like many phones :)

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,578 Posts
OnePlus 5T had a pretty good battery life with decent OS skin. Full charge lasted me almost 2 days with occasional PPSSPP sessions, reading, calls and lots of music. Dash charge was also amazing. I still returned the phone because I don't expect it to last 4 years like my iPhone 5S unfortunately. Software support is very meh.

·
Premium Member
6,747 Posts
I've got a Garmin golf smart watch and the battery life is claimed 5 days...I think I get more around 6-7 days. It's nuts! For my iPhone 6s I got a mophie case for it. I love the case and it keeps my phone mostly fully charged all day. I could probably go 2 days without charging my phone. The low power mode will also keep the phone lasting awhile but you guys are definitely right...the screen is the major drawback on battery life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts