Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 272 Posts

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source
Quote:
Prepare to clash on the battlefields of tomorrow and take your place in the ranks of Overwatch®-a legendary force of soldiers, scientists, adventurers, and oddities-in the Open Beta! Assemble your friends and try out the ultimate team-based shooter for FREE May 5-9 on PC, PlayStation® 4, and Xbox One.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I also got into the stress test and that was the most fun I've had playing a shooter in a long time. It's especially fun to get a group of 6 friends together and just have fun but still try to win. And the friends I played with would play whatever role was needed for the team so everyone got to learn each role.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invaderscs View Post

I also got into the stress test and that was the most fun I've had playing a shooter in a long time. It's especially fun to get a group of 6 friends together and just have fun but still try to win. And the friends I played with would play whatever role was needed for the team so everyone got to learn each role.
Yeah we did too. I think this weekend I had some moments that rank in my top 5 gaming experiences of all time. First game I've played that actually had every class feel cool and worth playing. I was worried about their stance that you will probably switch classes alot but now seeing it in action I get it. We did Route 66 with me and 2 friends. I was bastion. One was Reinhardt. One was mercy. I went turret on the payload. He walked in front of me with Reinhardt and shielded and our Mercy kept us up and my dmg boosted. We literally ran the whole map. Nothing lived long enough for his shield to drop off. Was an instant classic. I couldn't stop laughing.

edit: also due to this weekends shenanigans I can never hear the tune CHARGE the same way

·
Registered
296 Posts
While the game itself looks top-notch (Blizzard quality yay), I was just a little disappointed to find out that the game updates clients at 20hz. By competitive standards that is very low and we're talking up to +50ms flat delay.

I get that Blizzard are trying to cater to a very wide variety of internet connections ranging from dial-up modems to fiber lines. But IMO for a 2016 shooter-style multiplayer game, 30hz should be the absolute minimum and 45-60hz is preferred. Even Call Of Duty has been 30hz for a long time now.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I am fanatical about this game. I haven't been this obsessed with a game probably since Halo 3 or possibly even Starcraft: Broodwar.
I got into both of the stress test weekends and it was like crack, I couldn't get enough - of the 72 hour weekend I played at least 48 hours, and of the 36 hour weekend I played 24-25 hours.

Don't know what it is about this game but I'm hooked, after I played the stress test weekend I went out and pre-purchased the Collector's Edition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post

While the game itself looks top-notch (Blizzard quality yay), I was just a little disappointed to find out that the game updates clients at 20hz. By competitive standards that is very low and we're talking up to +50ms flat delay.

I get that Blizzard are trying to cater to a very wide variety of internet connections ranging from dial-up modems to fiber lines, but IMO 30hz should be the absolute minimum and 45-60hz is preferred. Even Call Of Duty has been 30hz for a long time now.
I believe I heard them say something about for LANs, tournaments, etc that the the game update frequency would be increased, although I'm not entirely too sure.

From what I've played personally the game plays like butter and I have had no connection issues or feeling of any lag or delay at all.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Quote:

I get that Blizzard are trying to cater to a very wide variety of internet connections ranging from dial-up modems to fiber lines. But IMO for a 2016 shooter-style multiplayer game, 30hz should be the absolute minimum and 45-60hz is preferred. Even Call Of Duty has been 30hz for a long time now.
interesting.I never really felt like there were times where I was getting hit when I shouldn't be. in bf4 I would feel that stuff instantly and it was pronounced. this played really smooth throughout. the delay between shooting and seeing dmg or getting hit felt good. I'm going to look into this some see what others are saying as well

·
184 Posts
I absolutely fell in love with this game during the stress test. It went from "hey that looks interesting" to "take my money!"
biggrin.gif

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post

I believe I heard them say something about for LANs, tournaments, etc that the the game update frequency would be increased, although I'm not entirely too sure.

From what I've played personally the game plays like butter and I have had no connection issues or feeling of any lag or delay at all.
They were quite clear and specific on this, actually:

Yes, a higher tick rate would be better, but it's not the panacea some people claim. I do expect it to eventually make it to the general servers, but based on the infrastructure change required it's not something they can really pull off at the last minute. Custom games and tournaments are just not going to be high enough volume to make a difference for hardware.

Not having "feeling of any lag or delay at all" is really critical though, and that's their Favor the Shooter design principle. What it means is that if you can see it, you can shoot it, and if you see your shot hit, then you get credit for a hit. There is no leading of shots or predicting where the enemy is going to be in order to compensate for network and processing latency. You just run out and start shooting, and it feels right.

What feels wrong, though, and why people complain about tick rate, is the result of being NOT the shooter. Since the other guy is favored, you can be behind a corner on your view, but in plain sight on the other guy's view, and so you get shot through the head by a sniper bullet. It does feel wrong to have this happen, but I'd trade that for never, ever, EVER having to lead my shots every single time. Because you don't get to have neither.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

their Favor the Shooter design principle.
I believe the proper term is client-side hit registration. It's been around in many games for a long time. Basically it favors laggers and is the biggest culprit when it comes to getting killed around corners by laggers. Client-side hit reg also makes the game slightly more vulnerable to cheating, as a 3rd party tool can send false information about hits to the server.

Server-side is best IMO. It works excellently with low latency, no more dying to laggers around corners (they have to lead), punishes the heck out of laggers, and encourages players to play within their server regions.

Although in some unique cases (like BF4) a hybrid system known as client-side server-authoritative is used. In this case the hits are client-side, but the server decides "should this hit be registered?" after taking into consideration the latency/location/etc of both players. This is even better, albeit much more complex to implement.

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
I don't get the love for it personally, I played in the first closed beta, for about 3 hours, that it was rather slow paced and boring. I am however loving Battleborn, yes yes I know they are two diff games, don't kick me plz.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

I don't get the love for it personally, I played in the first closed beta, for about 3 hours, that it was rather slow paced and boring. I am however loving Battleborn, yes yes I know they are two diff games, don't kick me plz.
Well things might have changed since then, also the speed of the game depends mostly on the character you pick to use.
Tracer gameplay with zooming around will always be faster then Bastion which is a turret for instance.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow that's awesome news!! I got the chance to play the closed beta for a couple of hours and it really exceeded my expectations. Overall a solid game and extremely fun.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Absolutely loved the limited playtime that I had with Overwatch! It's got the almost flawless arcade style team based shooter feel that I have dearly missed since I last played Q3F...

The hype for Overwatch is real and totally justified!

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
6,116 Posts
Quote:

I believe the proper term is client-side hit registration. It's been around in many games for a long time. Basically it favors laggers and is the biggest culprit when it comes to getting killed around corners by laggers.
That's not an accurate description of it at all.
Quote:

Although in some unique cases (like BF4) a hybrid system known as client-side server-authoritative is used. In this case the hits are client-side, but the server decides "should this hit be registered?" after taking into consideration the latency/location/etc of both players. This is even better, albeit much more complex to implement.
But, this is. Watch the video I posted above.

1 - 20 of 272 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.