Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'm currently using the Corsair H-50 and the temps are so-so. I'm in a quest to find the best aftermarket cooler and I picked up a Noctua NH-D14 to see how it fares.

The NH-D14 is coming in the mail in the next few days and I'm going to post the results of multiple stress tests to determine which cooler works the best.

My i7 920 is currently at 4.0GHz at 1.30625 V-core. I want to push this chip further, and until I can do watercooling we're going to need the best cooling solution.

I will be using the manufacturer supplied TIM (Shin-Etsu on H50 and Noctua NT-H1)

Tests:
1. LinX 20 runs problem size 25,000
2. OCCT 1 HR
(using Coretemp to measure CPU temps)

Test subjects:
1. Corsair H50 (mounted as intake with fans in push/pull--stock Corsair fan + XION 120mm)
2. Noctua NH-D14 (with stock fans)

Ambient Temps:
20*C

TEST RESULTS (link to Screenshots):
Corsair H50
OCCT max temps: 76, 73, 72, 68
LinX max temps: 80, 77, 74, 72

Noctua NH-D14
OCCT max temps: 68, 66, 63, 62
LinX max temps: 72, 71, 67, 66

Summary:

The Corsair H50's hottest temp was 80'C while the Noctua NH-D14's hottest temp was 72'C. In all of my stress testing (Intel Burn Test, OCCT, LinX and Prime95) my LinX temps are always the highest, therefore I think that it is the best to point out while testing. Furthermore, the Corsair H-50 is a solid cooler and definitely a space saver, but it did not provide results as good as the Noctua NH-D14.

So...

There you have it...the Noctua NH-D14 is our winner!!

*Note*
The point of this test is to determine which is the better cooling solution for my setup. I am neither claiming to be the authority on heatsinks nor claiming my testing to be infallible

·
Registered
567 Posts
Should mention what TIM your using too

·
Junglist
7,233 Posts
To mention:

TIM
Fans Used
Ambients temps.

I can see the Noctua coming out on top here!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
i will be following this thread, really looking forward to the results as i have both these coolers on my list along with the venomous

·
Registered
95 Posts
I can tell you right now - the NH-D14 wins.

For two significant reasons:

1) less noise (maybe much less - there have been some complaints of noisy H50s)
2) zero risk of catastrophic failure

The temp results will be so close, they won't matter.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by eCoManiac View Post

1. Disagree

2. Disagree

What constitutes so close it doesn't matter? 5-10 degrees? (If so, that matters to an overclocker
)

Furthermore, convenient that's your answer considering you own the NH-D14 lol

·
Banned
916 Posts
Quote:

im betting the NH-D14 has failed and burnt up more cpu's then the coolant from the h50 has killed........

·
PC Evangelist
47,497 Posts
From reviews done NH-D14 does not perform all that well. H50 in the other had is as good as top air coolers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Had I known I was posting on the H50 fan club board, I woulda brought my umbrella.

Look, I thought I was going to buy an H50. But as is my wont, I researched it first. On this forum, and others, some people are complaining. First, some are getting noisy pumps. And then maybe the quieter pumps will get noisy some day. Who knows?

Second, I read Corsair is buying some guy all new components because his H50 leaked all over his system.

Now I think water cooling is great. It can be done right with care and attention to detail. But it might be asking a bit much to believe a company can mass produce a self-contained water system with high reliability that can compete cost-wise with far simpler designs.

Like the NH-D14. Hell, this thing is so massive, both fans could fail and it would cool passively well enough to keep the cpu from burning up. Then there's the fan fail warning, and thermal throttling. And if a fan gets noisy, I'll replace it.

But first and foremost, I don't have to worry about the NH-D14 raining on my system some day.

And for performance, I'll bet you guys the NH-D14 is within a degree or two of the H50. Of course, the op will need to do three mounts each to make sure they're not a factor.

nh-d14: "...best CPU air-cooler in the today's market"

·
Banned
916 Posts
Quote:

Had I known I was posting on the H50 fan club board, I woulda brought my umbrella.

Look, I thought I was going to buy an H50. But as is my wont, I researched it first. On this forum, and others, some people are complaining. First, some are getting noisy pumps. And then maybe the quieter pumps will get noisy some day. Who knows?

Second, I read Corsair is buying some guy all new components because his H50 leaked all over his system.

Now I think water cooling is great. It can be done right with care and attention to detail. But it might be asking a bit much to believe a company can mass produce a self-contained water system with high reliability that can compete cost-wise with far simpler designs.

Like the NH-D14. Hell, this thing is so massive, both fans could fail and it would cool passively well enough to keep the cpu from burning up. Then there's the fan fail warning, and thermal throttling. And if a fan gets noisy, I'll replace it.

But first and foremost, I don't have to worry about the NH-D14 raining on my system some day.

And for performance, I'll bet you guys the NH-D14 is within a degree or two of the H50. Of course, the op will need to do three mounts each to make sure they're not a factor.

nh-d14: "...best CPU air-cooler in the today's market"
lol yes, 1 guy had his system leak...and it was user error and corsair is still paying for it for him.....1 guy...there are over 1000 people on this site using the h50. not 1 has leaked. I am affriad of water in a pc, and have read every single piece of information i can on the h50, noise pumps? the noise from the "loud" pumps is still lower then most med CFM 120mm Fans.. and the coolant used in the h50 is not conducting, its coolant not water....same type of coolant used in car raidators, u know, the stuff you can pour over your alternator and wont hurt it..

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
My vote has to be for a Corsair H50 Watercooler. The reason is because I have owned a NorthQ 3890 Watercooler which is pretty much similar to a Corsair H50 Watercooler & it cooled better than my old Thermalright. Ultra. Extreme. 120mm.

If both the coolers are used with push / pull configuration & the same fans the Corsair H50 Watercooler will win hands down.

-----
Corsair H50 & NorthQ 3890 watercoolers are low end and will not cool like a custom built watercooling kit but they will cool better than a high end air cooler

With that in mine the Corsair H50 Watercooler is a KICKASS product

I’m SickStew and keep your questions coming

LOL I love 3d-game-man Rodney Reynolds

1 - 20 of 229 Posts