Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang it!

Re-installing PC today (new motherboard) and loading up BC2. About a third of the way in, it states cannot read cab file.

The CD is almost scratch free so I can't figure out what the issue is.

Is there a way to use my key from my retail version to get the steam download?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi, try going to your device manager and uninstalling your dvd drives. Restart your pc and let it auto reinstall them, this worked for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This solution is more complicated:

"Here is a fix for a corrupt cabinet file!! I work couple of hours to find out solve for this error. For me the error was from c3.cab-file.

SOLUTION (needs windows 7 or Vista)

1. Open corrupted cabinet file on windows explorer (not winrar etc.) Windows 7 have its own software. for cabinet files.
2. Select all the files in cabinet-> right mouse->extract...extract some where on your hard disk, no errors
3. Download some software which can make cabinet files. I used ZipGenius 6 (freeware)
4. Select all extracted files from original cab-file and make new cab-file with ZipGenius.
5. Copy all (you dont have to copy corrupted cab-file) data from your BFBD2 cd or iso-file to your computer.
6. Copy the cab-file maked with ZipGenius to its original place, to BD2 install directory(directory where you copy files from cd) remember to rename it same name as corrupted cab-file was.
7. Install game from setup.exe!!
8. Thats it!! Works for me! "

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's the C3 for me too!

·
Registered
998 Posts
Sorry BC2 keys are not accepted on steam but, you can put your key into EA Dlmanager and download it through that, by sadly, no steam support for retail buyers.

• Rep+
Reactions: Robilar

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bazuny View Post
Sorry BC2 keys are not accepted on steam but, you can put your key into EA Dlmanager and download it through that, by sadly, no steam support for retail buyers.
So I can use a retail key with the EA Download manager?

I'll give that a go first.

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The DL manager looks like it will work,

when I select download it gives me the option of the standard game or the limited edition, what is the difference?

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Odd, the retail version i bought was not the limited and yet its letting me download the limited version.

Oh well

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar View Post
The DL manager looks like it will work,

when I select download it gives me the option of the standard game or the limited edition, what is the difference?
I'm not sure. But here's a protip: Back up your game once you D/L it!! It downloads to a certain directory, and you can back that directory up. Last I heard, EA only allows 6 months to D/L your game again, or some stupid stuff. All I know is that it is very wise to back up this directory somewhere safe. I despise EADM, but I was forced to use it when I purchased a key on OCN.

• Rep+
Reactions: Robilar

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good idea thanks. I will throw the download on my external drive as I frequently reload my pc.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robilar
View Post

Good idea thanks. I will throw the download on my external drive as I frequently reload my pc.

Yeah I did some research into it, and I don't remember the specifics but I know that after a certain amount of time, it doesn't let you redownload it. You can take the issue up with EA, but it's a hassle. Just easier to copypasta it somewhere else. You can view where it downloads in the settings tab. Just backup the directory that is entitled with the email you use.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
The limited edition gives you early access to a few weapons like the tracer gun or the M1911.

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, thanks for clarifying. I'm currently L28 with only a couple of the medic weapons to unlock (least favored class...) so I guess its moot.

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor_Jesus
View Post

Yeah I did some research into it, and I don't remember the specifics but I know that after a certain amount of time, it doesn't let you redownload it. You can take the issue up with EA, but it's a hassle. Just easier to copypasta it somewhere else. You can view where it downloads in the settings tab. Just backup the directory that is entitled with the email you use.

I found the directory in question.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts