Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source

Quote:

Chocolate lovers may soon be able to print their own 3D creations thanks to work by UK scientists.

A 3D printer that uses chocolate has been developed by University of Exeter researchers - and it prints layers of chocolate instead of ink or plastic.

Although still a prototype, several retailers have already expressed interest in taking on the device.

Someone alert frickfrock.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
come on frickfrock... YOU should have posted this.... son i am disappoint!

OT neato! would love to try this out, seems like it could be a lot of fun/make valentines day a bit easier (IE customized chocolates for my girl would be much simpler than having to figure out which colorful plants to get her and then figure out how to be sweet)

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Network
View Post

And with a pricetag that of the entire United States, who wouldn't buy one?

I doubt that - and the technology could make quite a hobby, since there are a lot of old plotters available that could be retrofitted - and it would give MasterCAM another material to do things with.

It would be great for prototyping, like if the part sucks, you just bust it apart and the shop can eat it for a snack. Can't do that with say, aluminum.

·
Banned
319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvanPitts
View Post

I doubt that - and the technology could make quite a hobby, since there are a lot of old plotters available that could be retrofitted - and it would give MasterCAM another material to do things with.

It would be great for prototyping, like if the part sucks, you just bust it apart and the shop can eat it for a snack. Can't do that with say, aluminum.

Did you read the article? It's not a printer made of chocolate, it prints with chocolate.

·
Politically incorrect
9,548 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 8ight
View Post

It costs -$36T?

The price tag of the USA is more like -100 to -120T.

My wife is dying for these things to become widely available. Beware the chocolate fantasies of the female species!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:

View Post

No
.. The US is worth little more than $900,000...

You did see the negative sign right...? Also where the hell is frickfrock!?

·
Banned
319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by guyladouche
View Post

I imagine that the quality of the chocolate would be quite bad in order to conform to being "printable." Neat to see, pointless to use.

Well all chocolate melts at the right temperature, but as you can tell from the pictures, anyone could do it in the same amount of time with their hands, it's just a small tube pretty much. So yeah it's probably total crap.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Did you read the article? It's not a printer made of chocolate, it prints with chocolate.

He never made that assumption. He was referring to the use of chocolate as a medium to prototype with. Re-read his post dude

·
Banned
319 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bavarianblessed
View Post

He never made that assumption. He was referring to the use of chocolate as a medium to prototype with. Re-read his post dude

Yep, totally. He totally meant the future depends on chocolate. Cars, boats, planes, spacecraft. All made completely of chocolate.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yep, totally. He totally meant the future depends on chocolate. Cars, boats, planes, spacecraft. All made completely of chocolate.

reading comprehension fail

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.