Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Astronomers have spotted gamma ray emissions coming from the Crab Pulsar at far higher energies than expected.

This challenges notions of how these powerful electromagnetic rays - like light, but far more energetic - are formed, researchers suggest in Science.

They found emissions at more than 100 gigaelectronvolts - 100 billion times more energetic than visible light.

The Crab Nebula that hosts the pulsar continues to amaze astronomers, despite being one of the most studied objects.

The remnant of a supernova that lit up the skies on Earth in 1054, it has been taken in modern times to be a constant source of light - so constant that telescopes were trained on it for calibrations.

But earlier this year, the Crab was spotted emitting gamma-ray flares that have confounded astronomers.

Within the nebula lies the Crab Pulsar - a tiny, rapidly spinning neutron star that sprays highly energetic electromagnetic rays out at its poles like a lighthouse beam, sweeping past the Earth 30 times a second.

The pulsar's enormous magnetic field is known to gather up particles and accelerate them - in a process much like particle accelerators here on Earth.

As those particles move in curved paths, they emit the gamma rays that we can measure.
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15203788

·
Registered
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy;15206689
My uninformed thoughts wanted this to be about crabs with laser eyes.
+1
How frikin hard is it to get frikin crabs with frikin LASER BEAMS attached to their heads?

(Anyone else think of War of the Worlds all of a sudden?)

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi123;15206789
+1
How frikin hard is it to get frikin crabs with frikin LASER BEAMS attached to their heads?

(Anyone else think of War of the Worlds all of a sudden?)
first it must be sharks with lasers on their head

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizzleBoy;15206689
My uninformed thoughts wanted this to be about crabs with laser eyes.
First thought:

why-not-zoidberg.jpg

Har-har and I'm an I dare call myself an optical engineering major.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts