Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source
Quote:
Freezing an Android phone can help reveal its confidential contents, German security researchers have found.

The team froze phones for an hour as a way to get around the encryption system that protects the data on a phone by scrambling it.

Google introduced the data scrambling system with the latest version of Android called Ice Cream Sandwich.
Pretty cool if you ask me. Doesn't really seem like much of a concern to the end user, since you'd physically need to have the phone and the custom software to access any of the data, but still very interesting.

·
Premium Member
14,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinWaffle View Post

Very cool. -10C, in fact.
tongue.gif

Seriously though, that is very interesting/odd news.
smile.gif
ASLKDFJALSKD!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif

I was gonna make that pun
mad.gif
mad.gif

Nice discovery though, goes to show that no matter how strong we make the software... it still has hardware's vulnerabilities,
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'm pretty sure i saw this kind of article in OCN Before...

cant find the link right now, since i have to get to class like in 1 minute lol

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Oh yeah, i heard about this a few weeks ago.

what makes it work, is that by freezing the ram chips, they retain their data for a short time after losing power. If you can get the phone to boot back up in that short period of time between power down and boot up, you can then hack into it and pull the residual data left in the ram.

I think a member on XDA posted it a few weeks ago. (I keep wondering why I read news stories, only to see them here days/weeks later and think I'm having some weird deja vu episode)

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post

Oh yeah, i heard about this a few weeks ago.

what makes it work, is that by freezing the ram chips, they retain their data for a short time after losing power. If you can get the phone to boot back up in that short period of time between power down and boot up, you can then hack into it and pull the residual data left in the ram.

I think a member on XDA posted it a few weeks ago. (I keep wondering why I read news stories, only to see them here days/weeks later and think I'm having some weird deja vu episode)
This is nothing new in the computing world in general as this whole accessing data that's in RAM has been at least discussed before...I just imagine that its easier to do with a phone than a full computer let alone a server.

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
It's a cold boot attack. What's scarier is people using Android SDK to circumvent the swipe pattern logon / lockscreen (flashing via Android SDK to basically wipe the pattern logon).

Unless you have top secret info or compromising pictures like some idiots (http://consumerist.com/2013/03/06/yet-another-accused-thief-makes-rookie-mistake-of-uploading-pics-from-stolen-ipad-to-the-cloud/) ... don't worry about it because as far as losing your phone if you have IMEI & GPS it's all tracable
The funny thing about those who steal technological toys like iPads and iPhones from others is often that they don't really know the capabilities of the electronics they've swiped. Even if they do, incriminating photos have a way of showing up and biting them in the rear. A woman accused of stealing an iPad ended up providing her own mug shot when photos her kids reportedly took were uploaded to the owner's cloud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts