Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:

A recently observed global decline in spam e-mail could prove to be short lived, researchers say.

A network of infected computers used to produce spam has sprung back to life after a lull of several weeks.

The Rustock botnet - as it is known - mysteriously stopped sending spam e-mails in early December, resulting in a massive decline in spam.

But according to security firm NetWitness, it restarted activity early on 10 January.

Overall spam levels are still below their levels in August 2010, when Rustock began to wind down its activity.

The reason for the lull was not immediately apparent, Alex Cox of NetWitness told BBC News.

Those controlling Rustock do not appear to have made major strategic changes to their spamming campaigns, he added.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-12154118

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:

The reason for the lull was not immediately apparent, Alex Cox of NetWitness told BBC News.

If those were exact words. HAHA.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Maybe the owner of the botnet was trying to give everyone some christmas cheer and share in the season and decided to give everyone a little break.

·
Scrub since 2010
1,837 Posts
My Spam has not decreased since October... in other words not even on december I saw difference...

I daily have to make new filters on my gmail
stupid lottery / africa / japan / rap crap I have never signed up for

But my hotmail is full of spam
- allot of them appear that are from my contact list... and we can't filter it... those person have to fix their own hotmail account.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendblink23;11960750
My Spam has not decreased since October... in other words not even on december I saw difference...
tongue.gif

I daily have to make new filters on my gmail
stupid lottery / africa / japan / rap crap I have never signed up for

But my hotmail is full of spam
tongue.gif
- allot of them appear that are from my contact list... and we can't filter it... those person have to fix their own hotmail account.
You get spam on Gmail. I haven't received any spam on it since I made my account. I thought that it was only hotmail that fails to filter spams.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
I never get spam into my gmail inbox--but it does pile into the spam-filtered box, probably 3 a day for mine, give or take, though I don't really look at it.

Hotmail has always been wretched for me for intelligent auto-filtering of spam.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter
View Post

A spam email hasn't made its way to my inbox in years, gmail FTW.

Yeah, I don't know how Gmail manages to filter so much spam while hotmail constantly has the spillway to my inbox in operation. I laugh whenever I see Microsoft saying they are working hard to filter junk mail. Ironically enough, the e-mail I give out when I don't trust the person/company/entity receiving it is a hotmail address, so I suppose I am asking for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts