Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Microsoft has made a new proposal to European competition regulators that it hopes will end their row over the firm's Internet Explorer web browser.

It proposes that European buyers of its new Windows 7 operating system will be offered a list of potential browsers when they first install the software.
Read on here

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
How exactly does it "offer" other browser alternatives.

Honestly, I can't side with either the EU or Microsoft. They've both acted a little irrational/extreme/sensitive.

And as much as I personally dislike Internet Explorer, it is useful to have installed so that one may more easily download an alternative browser using IE. The issue for me, is being able to uninstall IE. But even this is understandably problematic as 3rd party programs rely on the IE engine. Sure, one could replace it with gecko (like wine does), but then these programs may not function properly as the developers programmed it to utilize IE functions specifically.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Apple has Safari.
Linux has Firefox.
Microsoft has Internet Explorer. WHAT?!? WE CANNUT HAZ DAT.

Srsly, just because they have the largest market share doesn't mean you should get jealous and treat them different to apple or any other OS.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daney
View Post

Apple has Safari.
Linux has Firefox.
Microsoft has Internet Explorer. WHAT?!? WE CANNUT HAZ DAT.

Srsly, just because they have the largest market share doesn't mean you should get jealous and treat them different to apple or any other OS.

Agreed, I don't even know what this will do.

"I've been using IE for 10 years but I'm going to press this Opera button... Oh great now I'm confused I can't find anything, I'm going back to IE for good, wait, wheres the menu I got when I plugged my computer in?!?!"

This is just going to add more confusion, if I want something better then IE I'll go look for it myself.

·
Premium Member
5,971 Posts
"Hi, hello, Mr. McDonald? EU here. Being the biggest fast food chain, we find it anticompetitive that you only offer big macs. From now on you have to serve 6 dollar burgers too, as well as whoppers. Please desist further from being so successful."

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrtn400
View Post

First bowing to Apple, and now bowing to other browser devs?

Microsoft is going soft.

well that may be why they arent Microhard.. :/

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
This is completely unnecessary. I don't like IE, but hey go ahead and use it.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkknight512
View Post

Agreed, I don't even know what this will do.

"I've been using IE for 10 years but I'm going to press this Opera button... Oh great now I'm confused I can't find anything, I'm going back to IE for good, wait, wheres the menu I got when I plugged my computer in?!?!"

This is just going to add more confusion, if I want something better then IE I'll go look for it myself.

This.

Also, if you don't know how to change you web browser, why would you care about it?

If you know how, then you can use whatever you want. If you haven't got a clue then the likely hood is you won't gain anything from a new browser, you won't be able to use it etc.

Sorry if it doesn't make sense

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003
View Post

Total BS microsoft shouldn't have to include products from its competitors!

I agree the EU is taking it to far here. What about all the other competing programs like; start menus, themes, file managers, video players, video editors, text editors, etc. You get the point lol.

If the EU goes as far as to do this with browsers why not do it to every other program on the whole OS. I guess someone at Mozilla or Opera is paying the EUs bills.

·
Registered
948 Posts
*meh* This doesn't bother me.

Anyone who actually buys an operating system and has the know how to install it isn't going to be phased by putting firefox on a USB key. If Windows 7 Install prompts me, I'll pick one, but I've no qualms about finding a browser elsewhere.

The only change is really going to be the OEM builders- and which browsers they choose to support when pre-configuring a system. Which, because people are stupid, will probably be IE with the possibility of others.

I think this will end the 'row' with the EU commission - it's pretty much what the EU guys were asking for.

As for whether it's right of the EU to ask this of them or not: try to think of it this way. If a buggy browser, with a history of security exploits and incorrect rendering of web pages had achieved majority use by virtue of being included with software, it would hurt the end users. Factoring in consumer ignorance, you could easily make a case for the inclusion of alternatives and education of consumers so they can make an informed choice.

Now the EU Commission lose me at this point: If it were back in the IE 6.0 days, MS getting slapped and told to fix IE so it works properly, or risk the forced introduction of alternatives would make sense to me. But the new IE is a very competent browser in my eyes, so I'm not seeing the 'harm' to consumers.

The monopoly laws try to look out for the little guy, but the alternative browsers are all free, and I'd see more ethical dilemmas raised from creating a "Browser Marketplace", where you pay for a more secure, effective browser, and if you don't want to you deserve to be a victim of fraud?? No thanks.

Anyone who is computer literate can make their own mind up about which browser to use, I'm glad we all agree on that - I'm just happy I have the option to uninstall IE now, especially after MS lied about it being unremovable in the past.

Now let me nuke MS Hearts, Minesweeper and Internet Checkers.

tl;dr
- EU Commission are getting what they asked for.
- People who are ignorant don't deserve shoddy security and improper display of web pages, BUT
- Doesn't make sense now IE is actually worth using.
- Won't actually help the consumers who won't see Windows 7 for another 5 years, nor the PC-literate who know enough to get an alternative when they want.
- ^^Because of this, no matter how much Hi-5ing that takes place as a result of this; the actual change to the 'consumers' who would have otherwise been impacted on by using IE out of ignorance is actually quite a small number imo.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AntiTalent View Post
Anyone who is computer literate can make their own mind up about which browser to use, I'm glad we all agree on that - I'm just happy I have the option to uninstall IE now, especially after MS lied about it being unremovable in the past.
Back when this whole fiasco started with Win9x, IE was unremovable. It's the Windows NT line (NT, 2000, XP, etc) that runs it completely separately. I agree that it was shady, but it wasn't a total lie.

But that still doesn't mean that they should have to remove it. Back in the Win9x days it actually mattered - most people back then were just starting to get internet connections, and maybe if they knew about a choice then they wouldn't have gotten so attached to internet explorer. But now it's way too late to change it.

I can't even tell you how many customers look at me with a puzzled face when I ask them what "internet browser" they use.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manyak View Post
Back when this whole fiasco started with Win9x, IE was unremovable. It's the Windows NT line (NT, 2000, XP, etc) that runs it completely separately. I agree that it was shady, but it wasn't a total lie.
Ah fair enough, that's what I get for trusting the internet for my info
Still glad I can remove a program I don't use though.

Cheers for the correction though, Manyak.

I agree that a lot of people don't even know the word 'browser'. Kind of a shame they are all free, otherwise we'd have seen massing of advertising extolling their various virtues and benefits by now.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Quote:
first of all thats not 100% correct. In NT, 2000 and XP ie is still built in to the core of windows. Even if you remove the associated files for ie6 (that comes built in to xp) parts still remain.

For example if you have no browsers installed in XP (and this could be a possible solution for Windows 7 eu aswell) If you open an explorer window for example C: and then delete the path and change it to http://overclock.net the web page will still display despite the fact that you think you have completly removed ie. Dunno if this works in vista or 7 but it deffinatly works in XP (i had to do it when i had no browser installed cos i removed it with nlite)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Well in all the stupidity of all of this MS is making the right decision of offering different drowsers while starting. I just hope I could install Chrome, Firefox and IE at the same time and not just one of them, because I use all 3 for different things.

·
Premium Member
7,006 Posts
This is BS, makes me mad. Apple should now be forced to propose its customers Windows as a main operating system, if we want to go that route.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeeky
View Post

first of all thats not 100% correct. In NT, 2000 and XP ie is still built in to the core of windows. Even if you remove the associated files for ie6 (that comes built in to xp) parts still remain.

For example if you have no browsers installed in XP (and this could be a possible solution for Windows 7 eu aswell) If you open an explorer window for example C: and then delete the path and change it to http://overclock.net the web page will still display despite the fact that you think you have completly removed ie. Dunno if this works in vista or 7 but it deffinatly works in XP (i had to do it when i had no browser installed cos i removed it with nlite)

Hrm, I was positive it only worked like that with the 9x line. I'm gonna try this out later.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Emmanuel
View Post

This is BS, makes me mad. Apple should now be forced to propose its customers Windows as a main operating system, if we want to go that route.

Agreed. Microsoft may do some shady things, but you can't punish one company, when they do exactly the same thing that there competitors do, just because they're the biggest. If this is what the EU wants, then Apple and every Linux distro should be forced to follow the same route as well. This is just going to cause a lot of confusion, and I bet 90% of the people are going to choose IE in the end anyway because its what they're used to.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts