Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
There had been speculation about the possibility after the firm posted an advert in April saying it wanted to find a way to create "body-doubles" for workers unable to travel to meetings.

However, the executive warned it could be many years before the tech launched.
Source

·
Old school gamer
1,889 Posts
So let me get this straight. 3D in home TV has all but bombed out, 3D Gaming has all but been ignored, 3D Photos are consider a waste and now they thing 3D video calls will make it real?

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar63 View Post

So let me get this straight. 3D in home TV has all but bombed out, 3D Gaming has all but been ignored, 3D Photos are consider a waste and now they thing 3D video calls will make it real?
Moar like 3D in cinema is highly profitable, 3D TV's are getting there slowly, and Oculus Rift is a game changer for gaming.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeekei View Post

Finally! I've been refusing to make a video call because of it only being crappy 2D!
Not sure if srs?

This is going to fail imo. Since when did something 3D be successful?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorched912 View Post

Not sure if srs?

This is going to fail imo. Since when did something 3D be successful?
of course he's not serious!
No, of course I'm not. Hopefully, neither is Skype.
redface.gif

·
Old school gamer
1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sannakji View Post

Moar like 3D in cinema is highly profitable, 3D TV's are getting there slowly, and Oculus Rift is a game changer for gaming.
3D Cinema works and notice I did not say otherwise. 3D TV has been a huge bust with companies losing money right and left on it. Oculus Rift is at BEST a nitch product and will not go mainstream.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Quote:

3D Cinema works and notice I did not say otherwise. 3D TV has been a huge bust with companies losing money right and left on it. Oculus Rift is at BEST a nitch product and will not go mainstream.
3D cinema has been a joke, 24 fps with those jittery blurry "action" scenes, no thanks. Avatar in 3d was awful, The Hobbit is the only 3D movie I have seen since then and mostly to just see the difference in 48 FPS.

The biggest reason people go to 3D movies is because the tickets cost more, giving them the illusion that they are superior to a 2d movie.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickles View Post

3D cinema has been a joke, 24 fps with those jittery blurry "action" scenes, no thanks. Avatar in 3d was awful, The Hobbit is the only 3D movie I have seen since then and mostly to just see the difference in 48 FPS.

The biggest reason people go to 3D movies is because the tickets cost more, giving them the illusion that they are superior to a 2d movie.
Doesn't help the resolution our eyes see is cut in half since the 3D at Cinemas are polarized. Every movie i've seen in 3D is blurry at the cinema. (and, no, my vision is not at fault).

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
Quote:

The biggest reason people go to 2D movies is because the tickets cost less

tongue.gif

There are some that just don't like 3D that much, but I'd be willing to bet that VAST majority dislike the price of the ticket more than any negative impact 3D may give them.

3D can be done very well, there have been some great examples. It's just that it's $15 for ONE ticket, and let's face it, hopefully none of us here are going to the movies alone. So right off the bat, you're paying $30 for 2 tickets and the date/gf wants Sour Patch kids, so that's another $5. No wonder 3D isn't catching on as much as it could....

·
Banned
12,731 Posts
Another day, another Microsoft failure.

Does ANYONE really know what the business world wants there anymore? I mean this is "cute" and all, but companies don't care about this, and they certainly don't care about Surface RT and especially Windows 8. They are so far out of touch with companies (and consumers too) it isn't even funny any more.

·
Premium Member
17,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrossewacker View Post

The biggest reason people go to 2D movies is because the tickets cost less

tongue.gif

There are some that just don't like 3D that much, but I'd be willing to bet that VAST majority dislike the price of the ticket more than any negative impact 3D may give them.

3D can be done very well, there have been some great examples. It's just that it's $15 for ONE ticket, and let's face it, hopefully none of us here are going to the movies alone. So right off the bat, you're paying $30 for 2 tickets and the date/gf wants Sour Patch kids, so that's another $5. No wonder 3D isn't catching on as much as it could....
Doesn't help they don't let you bring your own compatible glasses, and even if you keep the old disposable glasses they still charge you the same price. Most of that ticket price is because of the cost to make and recycle all those one time use glasses.

I also greatly prefer my home 3D setup over the 3D at the theaters. Not to mention, you can buy the 3D Blu-ray and have money to spare assuming you aren't going to the movie alone.
Quote:

I can tell you right now that my Avatar 3D Blu-ray, on an actual set that doesn't halve the resolution, is simply stunning. Granted I have roughly 20 grand in equipment in my home theater, so I can't really vouch for lower end hardware. Every single animation movie that has been release in 3D is breathtaking as well. While there's some "real life" 3D duds, it's very rare I prefer the 2D version and you can always toggle 3D off. Even Titanic looks incredible in 3D, and The Hobbit is probably some of the best 3D I have seen on my setup. I honestly couldn't picture it look better.. it's the exact same quality as the 2D picture yet way more immersive.

I have sampled some of my friend's lower end setups in the past, and while it wasn't as impressive, I would still prefer it over the 2D version. The only case where I feel 3D is worse is on passive sets that halve the resolutions. Sadly those are the majority of low/mid tier 3D sets currently. By the way, the only time I have seen "jittery blurry" 3D is on the lower end setups... and at the theaters.

·
Read Only
5,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

Another day, another Microsoft failure.

Does ANYONE really know what the business world wants there anymore? I mean this is "cute" and all, but companies don't care about this, and they certainly don't care about Surface RT and especially Windows 8. They are so far out of touch with companies (and consumers too) it isn't even funny any more.
+1. I mean, one bad mistake is one thing, but then to keep making mistake after mistake is just sad.

I'll understand 3D calling when this question can be answered, "why do I need it?"

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Everyone to their own. I don't like the way business has introduced 3d to us (cost plus plus plus) but still I like to own it. I like ALL the movies ive seen in 3d and have purchased a second 3dtv as I see them as a benefit not a curse. The biggest issue with 3d is that every company wants their own version of hardware and its all incompatible with everyone else's hardware. Greed is the problem not the media, the media suffers in the end along with the consumer.

I say go for it, perhaps they will do something right and enhance the experience for end users.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I didn't even know skype was still relevant. A lot of people have just switched to google+ Nevertheless, why the hell are these companies pushing 3D on everything?

·
Legend
901 Posts
Quote:

That is some messed up thinking of the devs...

·
Linux > All
1,676 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis View Post

Until it goes full holographic, interactive, I don't care.
wink.gif
lol
This. For my part current 3d tech gives me a headache, nothing more : / Also blurry as hell, just a waste of money from what I've seen. Star Trek holodeck style though... I could get on that bandwagon real fast.

And yes, Microsoft is proving almost daily how out of touch they are with what people actually want.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts