Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Unwilling Beta tester
7,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
The first recognisably modern computer is to be rebuilt at the UK's former code-cracking centre Bletchley Park.

The Electronic Delay Storage Automatic Calculator (Edsac) was a room-sized behemoth built at Cambridge university that first ran in 1949.

Creation of the replica has been commissioned by the UK's Computer Conservation Society (CCS).

The three-year re-build will be carried out before visitors to The National Museum of Computing at Bletchley.
Link

And before anyone asks, no it can't.

Edit:

I am constantly surprised by how recent computers are; some of the people who worked on arguably the first modern computer are still alive:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC
The early work of the re-build will involve scouring archives and talking to the remaining Edsac engineers to get a better idea of how the machine worked.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerJohn;11994024

I laughed

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
They should make the same computer using modern electronics next to it, to compare the size of the two
tongue.gif

·
Registered
522 Posts
Quote:

I am sure you are going to catch a lot of people off guard with that one.

Pretty funny.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Link

Edit:

I am constantly surprised by how recent computers are; some of the people who worked on arguably the first modern computer are still alive:
I have a teacher at uni who used to work on computers when they were still as big as an entire room. She's not a sack of bones, so yeah, they are quite recent
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangg1;11994434
A calculator from the dollar store?

~S
BrendanFraser2.gif

·
Premium Member
3,821 Posts
Oh Man. I thought they were going to re-do the Acorn Atom. I loved that computer.

But really how much more power would this have than say a normal scientific calculator? I know my phone could run circles around it
smile.gif

Sent from my phone using my fingers.

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
It really is amazing to see how fast we've evolved technilogically in the last century as opposed to the rest of recorded history. Just think, there are some people still alive who saw cars become mainstream, televisions, men sent to the moon, computers, the internet....

Pretty amazing.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine;11995847
It really is amazing to see how fast we've evolved technilogically in the last century as opposed to the rest of recorded history. Just think, there are some people still alive who saw cars become mainstream, televisions, men sent to the moon, computers, the internet....

Pretty amazing.
Yea we came along way and pretty fast. And my grandpa is one of those people. I wonder what he thinks.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Nice post... I was reading this earlier.

Incidentally: The first computer I owned had a MASSIVE 1K RAM!
cool.gif

Yet, you could still play graphical games on it lol.
lachen.gif

I quickly upgraded to 16K RAM and was blown away by some of the games I could play.
drum.gif

Lol... a few years later I got a computer capable of COLOUR!
eek.gif

I think it will be interesting to rebuild this comp... if only for the sake of history and curiosity.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip69;11994592
But really how much more power would this have than say a normal scientific calculator?
You've got it backwards... it would be much less powerful than a scientific calculator.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts

·
Iconoclast
30,987 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiru;11994199
They should make the same computer using modern electronics next to it, to compare the size of the two
tongue.gif
You wouldn't be able to see the modern one if it were built using the best tech available now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_hax;11997856
You've got it backwards... it would be much less powerful than a scientific calculator.
Yep.

A TI-89 is at least two orders of magnitude faster than EDSAC and has 20 times the RAM.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless;11998794
You wouldn't be able to see the modern one if it were built using the best tech available now.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. It'd be fun to compare.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Specs lol

Quote:
BBC
Unveiled on 14 February 1946, Eniac had more than 17,000 valves, tipped the scales at 25 tonnes and consumed 150 kilowatts of power.

Tech specs: 3000 valves, 4096 bit memory, 18 instructions
First operation: 6 May 1949
Creators: Maurice Wilkes, Bill Renwick, Tom Gold, David Wheeler, Eric Mutch

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiru;11994199
tongue.gif
sounds like it could be a tablet.....

·
Premium Member
8,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ae804;11999263
sounds like it could be a tablet.....
No. You can effectively produce the same amount of power in nanocircuitry that you could that ancient machine. A Tablet is still far too large for comparison purposes.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts