Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Valve expects to offer prototypes of its upcoming video games console for testing within four months time.

The firm's chief executive Gabe Newell revealed the news to the BBC ahead of the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (Bafta) Games Awards.

Valve's online PC games store Steam has already proven highly popular and analysts suggest the console, called Steam Box, could have a big impact.
Source

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
"But the surrounding app ecosystem is unlikely to match other consoles which have Netflix, video conferencing tie-ins and other non-gaming aspects.
I thought it was going to basically be a PC...
headscratch.gif

obviously, a PC would support netflix, video-conferencing software, and so much more than any console. Well I'm confused now.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Have they released hardware specs for this? Also what games can it play? Windows, Linux, Mac? All of them?
Can we build our own?

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatfoodnow View Post

headscratch.gif

obviously, a PC would support netflix, video-conferencing software, and so much more than any console. Well I'm confused now.
If it 's a true linux box, that rules out alot of "PC" software. The netflix web plugin, for example, uses Microsoft Silverlight, hence it won't run in linux. Windows exclusive or silverlight based video conferencing software won't work either, and using wine isn't exactly an option for something like a steambox.

But Android, iOS, Xbox, PS3, Wii, etc all have native applications for these sort of things. Getting a native netflix app for for another linux based system doesn't seem that hard... I wonder what the issue is.

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
Every single thing you plug into a television has a Netflix app these days, right down some of the cheapest blu-ray players. Something tells me a Netflix app won't be too difficult for Valve to make happen.

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
Quote:

headscratch.gif

Well it's a PC running Linux, currently Netflix is unsupported because it uses Silverlight although I've recently heard some people got Netflix working with WINE. Or maybe one of the Android Apps could work with a little emulation.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ah, yeah I forgot it uses silverlight, I just got netflix a couple days ago and all my Linux boxes are in a state of repair right now, so I never put two and two together in my head
tongue.gif

Valve should be able to whip something up pretty easily though.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Quote:

headscratch.gif

IMO it doesn't need to be a PC. A console that supports my PC games would be great enough. Now figure in steam's "buy once play anywhere" model and I could carry over my games. Unified friends list, transferable progress through steam cloud... I'm over here drooling thinking about the possibilities
biggrin.gif

Considering today's tech even the TV's and Blu-ray players have Netfilx built in. I think it'll be a waste of resources to support it when everybody else already does. I wouldn't even consider it unless they went all the way and included a blu-ray player as well.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I would bet intel or amd. Something x86-64. I can't imagine they would want the incompatibilities of ARM. The vast majority of their library will be difficult to get to work on linux. Why would they also layer recompiling for ARM on top? Unless the steambox turns out to be glorified phonegames for your TV, in which case I'm not interested.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Steam Box won't be using ARM. Only recently is Ubuntu expanding to ARM and ARM would completely contradict Valve idea of open platform. Valve already stated Window will be able to be install on Steam Box and last I check window 8 RT isn't going retail.

·
Skating Enthusiast
8,165 Posts
I would buy this if the hardware is good.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I guess it will probably be running on Linux, if it would've been Windows it would just be another OEM computer. But if it runs on linux it would only be able to play certain games that are either developed for Linux or ported and thats like 5% at max of the enitre steam library? I dont see a reason why any pc gamer would buy this next to his normal PC. it isn't any different than a normal computer like the PS3 or Xbox360 is( exclusive game titles etc. ) People that aren't familiair with linux won't buy it either. Also I wonder if hardware can be upgraded or not.

Tbh, I predict a complete faillure for the Steambox. I dont see how it could become a a successful Product.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Well, I think the Steam Box idea and concept in itself will sell extremely well. But, I'm kinda thinking they're going to marry it up with their own kind of OS.Something that pretty much boots up either straight into your Steam account or a login screen..

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
People that aren't familiair with linux won't buy it either.
People buy Android that aren't familiar with Linux. Any user-friendly GUI you put on top of Linux requires nothing more than common sense (just like Windows). Gnome, KDE, Xfce, Cinnamon, Unity are all just read, point, click.

Steambox may not take off like the other consoles, but it is a good step for Linux gaming. A main reason gaming companies don't make games for Linux is because it isn't stable in terms of compatibility. What works on one kernel might not work on another, that is why having 100 distributions is a pain to support for companies and they don't even want to venture down that road. It is also why Valve only officially supports Ubuntu.

Having a Development platform that is locked down where one company has control over the OS and game makers work with that company on compatibility will lessen the burden of game development on Linux.

·
Registered
5,751 Posts
I cant see how this is going to work? don't get me wrong i want it to in a fashion (as long as i can alt tab out or customise the hardware and desktop) but using big picture there is still a long way to go with regards to ease of use. With big picture "play games on the big TV" yea, ok.. but then a lot of games have a launcher where you choose resolution, refresh, graphical settings and you need a mouse for that!
funnily some of the PC's biggest games have an intermediate launcher like most if not all of Bethesda games

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Steambox is going to be the new windows phone.

They should be focusing on making PC exclusive games. Valve isn't going to make a huge impact on the gaming market with their steambox as x86 and AMD are going to do towards gaming as a whole in the next generation of consoles. Steam isn't a hardware company and them getting involved in hardware is not exactly "involved". They are merely acting like a Dell with a personal OS and throwing dated games on the platform. Good for them, bad for us.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts