Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Banned
15,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Carmaker Volvo has said all new models will have an electric motor from 2019.
The Chinese-owned firm, best known for its emphasis on driver safety, has become the first traditional carmaker to signal the end of the internal combustion engine.
It plans to launch five fully electric models between 2019 and 2021 and a range of hybrid models.
Source

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
When you don't can't compete with any of the superior gasoline engines from BMW, Mercedes, Nissan or even Toyota, it's not a surprise they'd give up gasoline to pursue electric motors.

·
Overclocker
11,680 Posts
And where will we charge them? Drive or move to Scandinavia or Switzerland etc. so we can charge up the car? The amount of electric charging and fast charging stations is abysmal and even from all the Tesla videos from these most developed/rich countries it is quite apparent many are not even functional and people resorting to literally drive into a Tesla dealership location along their route to charge. It is simply not there yet. You're literally forced to drive between charging stations and have outdoor electric sockets on all your houses/apartment/garage available at best even at your workplace, your parent's place, where ever you go, hotels, ... seems all you end up doing is hunting for charging station every 3-4h of driving and then what? Charge for several hours most likely instead of 10min... Fine if you have charging stations where you are going up to 400km a day, otherwise electric is worse so far.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syan48306 View Post

When you don't can't compete with any of the superior gasoline engines from BMW, Mercedes, Nissan or even Toyota, it's not a surprise they'd give up gasoline to pursue electric motors.
it is not about that, when you see their own country air pollution quality. It is not surprise.

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,351 Posts
This is hilarious. A recent study from Scandinavia has showed that those how push electric cars are hypocrites. Electric cars do not decrease pollution as some say, they simply focus it on another venue. Are people aware of the fact that the pollution from producing one Tesla battery is equivalent to 8.2 years of pollution from a traditional engine? So running your traditional engine for 8.2 years will have the same impact on the environment as the production of the so called 'clean' energy source. Now run the numbers on Tesla alone and multiply accordingly.

The same study looks at other manufacturers and their numbers are lower than Teslas in terms of pollution when producing said batteries. Take the other brands, identify the number of batteries, multiply and see what nice numbers you end up with.

Now quite a few people came out to debunk that SWEDISH study saying that the carbon footprint for said Tesla batteries will zero out after 3 years, however, these people are factoring the co2 emissions in producing petrol without the co2 emissions in producing electricity. One of their de facto arguments is the ability to use your Tesla with solar panels and drive around with a clean charge. In the words of a great philosopher of our time 'sounds good, does not work'.

Electric cars, with the current know how employed to produce batteries and generate electricity to charge them are not the sliced bread people are looking for. Producing clean energy and batteries is not cheap and levies will be needed. It is okay because producing million of batteries on a monthly basis is way better for the environment than having all these cars on the road.

The hate for Diesel and Petrol is driven by a single motive : dried up coffers in trade blocks like the EU where wrong decisions and spoiled brat attitudes with hundreds of millions are leading to under development .

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Volvo is Chinese owned? Why did I think it was Swedish?

·
Registered
169 Posts
The impact on global warming may be limited in some cases with electric cars they do have a great benefit of not polluting the cities nearly as much which by itself is already a huge improvement over diesel and gasoline used in non electric cars.

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
As has been said, good PR, but the combustion engine, even in their lineup, will continue for more years. The combustion engine has this problem of emitting air pollutants everywhere they go, so even if battery powered cars overall produce just as much CO2 and other pollutants, they are more confined in the space where that happens, so in the end people will be able to breath better in the cities, that's an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyph3r View Post

Volvo is Chinese owned? Why did I think it was Swedish?
Because it is. The company that makes the trucks, buses and construction equipment, that is.

Volvo Cars, which makes only the passenger cars, was bought by Geely in 2010. And because you might have seen some recent ads on TV for Volvo cars where the catchphrase is "Made by Sweden." (they will be relocating a few factories to China, but until now the factories are still in Sweden).

Related, just to keep you and others on par, Geely also acquired a 51% controlling stake in Lotus Cars in May of this year.

·
Premium Member
8,233 Posts
I want to see some diesel electric powertrains. But With enough battery life so that going a short distance doesn't use any fuel.

I would be all over a vehicle like that.

Not that I really care about gas prices. I have a 14 Camaro and a 05 Jeep. My MPG Avgs are 20 and 14, and really don't have a problem with that fact.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Quote:

BMW said the very same thing earlier but in 2020. Electric versions of their whole lineup. Volvo just tried to one up them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaker View Post

This is hilarious. A recent study from Scandinavia has showed that those how push electric cars are hypocrites. Electric cars do not decrease pollution as some say, they simply focus it on another venue. Are people aware of the fact that the pollution from producing one Tesla battery is equivalent to 8.2 years of pollution from a traditional engine? So running your traditional engine for 8.2 years will have the same impact on the environment as the production of the so called 'clean' energy source. Now run the numbers on Tesla alone and multiply accordingly.

The same study looks at other manufacturers and their numbers are lower than Teslas in terms of pollution when producing said batteries. Take the other brands, identify the number of batteries, multiply and see what nice numbers you end up with.
Here, read.

So keep your Facebook hate in check, please.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

And where will we charge them? Drive or move to Scandinavia or Switzerland etc. so we can charge up the car? The amount of electric charging and fast charging stations is abysmal and even from all the Tesla videos from these most developed/rich countries it is quite apparent many are not even functional and people resorting to literally drive into a Tesla dealership location along their route to charge. It is simply not there yet. You're literally forced to drive between charging stations and have outdoor electric sockets on all your houses/apartment/garage available at best even at your workplace, your parent's place, where ever you go, hotels, ... seems all you end up doing is hunting for charging station every 3-4h of driving and then what? Charge for several hours most likely instead of 10min... Fine if you have charging stations where you are going up to 400km a day, otherwise electric is worse so far.
catch 22
gotta start from somewhere

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

90% of cars sold in the early 1900s were electric. Funnily enough, no one wanted to buy a gasoline powered car because "there is no where to fill them, and even in the few places available to fill them, it cost a fortune." Now look at where we are.

·
Meep
5,592 Posts
Quote:

Can't compete? Their engines are more suitable for the European market already. Their 320hp 2L turbocharged 4 cylinder engine with a co2 emission of 169g/km in the new V90 AWD is more competitive here than BMW's 340hp 3L 6 cylinder engine with a co2 emission of 177g/km in the 5-Series Touring xDrive. Its because we get taxed mostly on displacement and co2 emmisions, making Volvo's engine a more attractive offer in the real world.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi2007 View Post

As has been said, good PR, but the combustion engine, even in their lineup, will continue for more years. The combustion engine has this problem of emitting air pollutants everywhere they go, so even if battery powered cars overall produce just as much CO2 and other pollutants, they are more confined in the space where that happens, so in the end people will be able to breath better in the cities, that's an improvement.
Not sure I'm down with city folk dumping their pollution into my sanctified and half-assed sustainable rural sanctuary~

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles3000 View Post

Quote:

Can't compete? Their engines are more suitable for the European market already. Their 320hp 2L turbocharged 4 cylinder engine with a co2 emission of 169g/km in the new V90 AWD is more competitive here than BMW's 340hp 3L 6 cylinder engine with a co2 emission of 177g/km in the 5-Series Touring xDrive. Its because we get taxed mostly on displacement and co2 emmisions, making Volvo's engine a more attractive offer in the real world.
I guess I was being somewhat sarcastic but was also referring to well known top end engines such as the S55, M278, VR38DETT or other well older well known engines like 2JZ or VR6. There's nothing from Volvo that's "well known"
wink.gif

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriWheel View Post

Not sure I'm down with city folk dumping their pollution into my sanctified and half-assed sustainable rural sanctuary~
Mining lithium and other materials, right? Some countries that up to now are still rather uneventful in that area, but have lithium reserves, will see an uptick in that activity in the coming years. I wonder if that is taken into account in the math.

·
Super Moderator
14,121 Posts
Quote:

I guess I was being somewhat sarcastic but was also referring to well known top end engines such as the S55, M278, VR38DETT or other well older well known engines like 2JZ or VR6. There's nothing from Volvo that's "well known"
wink.gif
Volvo have never directly tried to compete with M cars, AMG models or the GTR. That's why there are no "top end" engines from them. However, Volvo engines are used in high-end cars. The B8444S which was originally used in the XC90 V8 and S80 V8 was used in the Noble M600, a car that was in theory meant to compete with the Ferrari 458, McLaren MP4-12C, Lamborghini Gallardo, etc. but in practice was closer to the Zonda, Aventador, Ferrari 599, etc. There was also the the 2.5 turbo I5 that was used in the 2nd gen Focus ST, RS and RS500 that was a rebadged B5254T3.

Most of the Volvo I5 and I6 engines were on par with engines such as the RB26 and 2JZ with their I6 being far superior to the VR6. They just weren't as well known as those engines, because the RB26 and 2JZ were used in sports cars and the VR6 in hot hatchbacks whereas the Volvo engines were in those "slow, old peoples cars" so no one bothered with them. There are people out there who have no problems tuning Volvo I5s (mostly) and I6s to over 1000hp with some stock internals, just like people could with the RB26 and 2JZ.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts