Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a PC for my friend a while back on an extreme budget. It is a quad core PC with a Q8300 2.5ghz The CPU had a vid of 1.2875 (kinda high for a 45mn CPU). Anyway .. after a long time of his PC crashing randomly during gameplay .. I finally decided it might be a CPU overheating issue. Though this seemed unlikely because I had tested his CPU for thermal issues with a stress testor and it passed easily .. but then I read a buch of posts about how BC2 caused more overheating issues than other games. SO .. if you are having BC2 issues .. and you dont know why .. please get coretemp and go to the setting and set it to temp logging so you can find out once and for all if your CPU is overheating and if that is causing your game to crash. We tried everything else. I feel bad it took us so long to fiogure it out .. but it was a new PC that had passed thermal tests with flying colors so ..

IDK .. BC2 is a really CPU warming game maybe?

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
I doubt this was caused by overheating...

If you actually used a stress testing program, which one was it?

LinX or Prime95 will raise your temps to far higher levels than BC2 will.

Your problem would more likely be due to instability. When BC2 starts using the CPU, RAM and GFX cards it puts a heavy load on the chipset as a whole... Moreso than individual testing programs designed for CPU/RAM will.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
I doubt this was caused by overheating...

If you actually used a stress testing program, which one was it?

LinX or Prime95 will raise your temps to far higher levels than BC2 will.

Your problem would more likely be due to instability. When BC2 starts using the CPU, RAM and GFX cards it puts a heavy load on the chipset as a whole... Moreso than individual testing programs designed for CPU/RAM will.
well thanx but ur wrong. The CPU got as high as 76c which is definitely too hot for this CPU. The stress testing program I used is a simply program called CPU stabtest. Its not as thurough as prime or linx but it give you a good general feel of things. Anyway those tests were far under par. I think his comp has really crappy ventalation in the place the he keeps it for the most part.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo205 View Post
it wouldn't hurt to run linX though
i never said it would .. CPU is at stock though so stability is not an issue.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post
i never said it would .. CPU is at stock though so stability is not an issue.
If you built the system yourself then yes stabability is an issue. You will probably have to set your voltages manually at least.

Leaving everything on "AUTO" doesn't mean you are always stable.

76c on the CPU shouldn't make it crash. I can run 50 loops on LinX and the CPU hits 82 due to my rubbish mounting of the TRUE, however it passes all 50 loops and doesn't crash.

I still say the system is not stable. I suggest you download and run Prime95, on Blend mode for 8 hours. This will stress the CPU, NB and RAM.

For a full test, open up a program called Furmark as well and run it at the same time. That will load up the rest of the chipset and GPU. Leave that open for a few hours.

But still, you can call me wrong if you like but I do have a lot of experience overclocking and stabalising multiple LGA775 CPU's.

·
Registered
192 Posts
well i had a problem like his after i put my gtx 260 in for physx i missed and knocked my cpu power cable out just a little bit so it wassn't getting all the power it needed so when i was playing bc2 or crysis my pc would restart so that was my problem

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker View Post
If you built the system yourself then yes stabability is an issue. You will probably have to set your voltages manually at least.

Leaving everything on "AUTO" doesn't mean you are always stable.

76c on the CPU shouldn't make it crash. I can run 50 loops on LinX and the CPU hits 82 due to my rubbish mounting of the TRUE, however it passes all 50 loops and doesn't crash.

I still say the system is not stable. I suggest you download and run Prime95, on Blend mode for 8 hours. This will stress the CPU, NB and RAM.

For a full test, open up a program called Furmark as well and run it at the same time. That will load up the rest of the chipset and GPU. Leave that open for a few hours.

But still, you can call me wrong if you like but I do have a lot of experience overclocking and stabalising multiple LGA775 CPU's.
Well im sorry but this just is not the case. I dont care enough to go over all the voltages and frequencies that this CPU has been at. Its not a stability issue. 76 is just the last temp that was recorded in the logger and anyone who does stress testing should know that if u r at 76 under 80-90% load then a quick spike to 100% could easily send the temps upwards of 80 .. and not even make it into the temp logger.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Quote:

Well im sorry but this just is not the case. I dont care enough to go over all the voltages and frequencies that this CPU has been at. Its not a stability issue. 76 is just the last temp that was recorded in the logger and anyone who does stress testing should know that if u r at 76 under 80-90% load then a quick spike to 100% could easily send the temps upwards of 80 .. and not even make it into the temp logger.
You are being really ignorant

I am sharing my experience, of problems with you and suggesting what you do to try and rectify them but you don't want to know.

Very rarely do temperatures cause a crash as opposed to an unstable system.

Stop reading only what you want to read and listen to others. Until you can prove to me that it is temperatures causing the issue then neither of us is right.

However my theory is far more likely than yours. Rule my theory out by doing what I said before you go and tell you friend to spend money on cooling.

·
Registered
192 Posts
dude your asking for help but yet you are not taking the advise at this rate no one will even bother trying to help you

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I am not asking for help. I dont mean to be blunt but I am sharing information and nothing more. I dont care what you think is wrong. This is the thread. I dont want your opinion this time. Im sorry, I'm an ass hole. I have way more experience with this PC than you do. And I also know about overclocking, and this CPU is at stock.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Quote:

Actually, I am not asking for help. I dont mean to be blunt but I am sharing information and nothing more. I dont care what you think is wrong. This is the thread. I dont want your opinion this time. Im sorry, I'm an ass hole. I have way more experience with this PC than you do. And I also know about overclocking, and this CPU is at stock.
Read my posts about "Stock" again.

You clearly don't know as much about PC's and overclocking as you think you do. Because if you did, you would understand what I am saying to you.

As for this being a help thread. You have said "BC2 is making my mates PC overheat". Thats not helpful.

Also, is it the PC crashing or just the game?

If it is just the game then no way is it overheating and also is probably not a stabability issue either. Most likely drivers.

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by CovertCover View Post
Your not going to listen to someone who has done 7 hardware reviews, and obviously knows a lot more than you do about overclocking? My computer originally hit 90+ before I re-seated my heatsink and it didn't crash. This guy is

Well you have an i7, its completely different.

·
Banned
4,341 Posts
i had a overheating issue with BC2 that wasnt present in any other game. my freezing stopped after i put a fan on my northbridge on my p5n-d motherboard. Nothing else ever caused me any problems.

So it might not be the CPU itself that is the heating problem.

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Quote:

Well you have an i7, its completely different.
I have had 4 different 775 quads and a 775 dual.

Q6600
Q6700
QX9650
Q9650
E8600

1 - 19 of 19 Posts