Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beach Bum's guide to eliminating BC2's negative mouse acceleration

This guide will show you how to remove negative acceleration/"input normalization" from the mouse inputs. There were other methods, but they sacrificed the ability to adjust sensitivity in game and crippled vehicle free-look and the UAV. I developed a similar but different set of value changes to change as few values as possible and retain stock functionality. I've also included a guide for adjusting vehicle sensitivity independently of infantry sensitivity. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Can you post it here as well? Google Docs is blocked at work.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Great guide, but does PB allow these changes? (sorry if this is a noob question)

EDIT;

Quoting BeachBum's guide it says:
Quote:

As far as I know, these settings are PB safe. I haven't gotten banned/kicked from my own server yet, and I've put in many testing hours on it.

Still, would be nice to hear something from EB just to make sure

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Guide for Removal of Negative Mouse Acceleration (Input Normalization) in BattleField: Bad Company 2
by Beach of http://www.slingblades.org

After reading a few guides for this fix, and reading about some of their side effects (unusable UAV, LightVehicle free look locked up), I did a bit of thinking about how the air/land/infantry sensitivity values had to interact with the "gamesettings.ini" settings and decided there had to be a better way to do things. I decided to leave the "gamesettings.ini" values stock and work on the scale settings in the .dbx files. After a bit of trial and error I came up with the value changes that not only eliminate the negative mouse acceleration (heretofore referred to as "normalization"), but allow you to keep the stock in-game adjustment functionality. This guide will also include lists of variables that you can change to tweak each vehicle sets' sensitivity independently, as you were able to in BF2.

On to the meat of this guide, the actual procedures and value changes. There will be no pictures, because they're not necessary. IF you follow my directions to the letter and possess common sense you won't have a problem.

First, make a backup of the input folder, named input-backup or something else reasonable. I will not accept responsibility for you screwing your game up. If you don't make a backup, you can delete the input folder to reset your settings back to stock. You will, however, lose your custom keybinds.

The first file we are going to edit is "infantry.dbx". Open the file in Notepad.
Ctrl-F and search for "ConceptPitch". Below that there will be a few blocks of data. The instances we want to edit end with "MouseInputActionData". The particular values we are editing in are as follows:

<field name="NormalizeInput">false</field>
<field name="ScaleValue">0.01</field>

You may have multiple instance entries. Be sure to change these two values for each instance that ends in "MouseInputActionData" under the "ConceptPitch" entry

Search for "ConceptYaw". Alter each "MouseInputActionData" entry with the same values as you did for "ConceptPitch" for the ones under ConceptYaw"

We have now eliminated normalization for the Infantry unit. You will still be able to adjust sensitivity with the ingame UI without borking your settings. If changing ingame still makes you nervous, make a backup of your altered .dbx files and/or make the .dbx files read-only.

Now we need to remove the normalization in the Land Vehicles.

Open the "land.dbx" file.
Ctrl-F and search for "ConceptPitch". The only value that needs to be changed is the following:

<field name="NormalizeInput">false</field>

This must be changed under each "MouseInputActionData" instance under "ConceptPitch".

Search for "ConceptRoll". Replace "true" with "false" in the necessary fields.

At this point normalization is disabled completely, as there is no normalization on the air vehicles.

Onto the advanced portion of the lesson, adjustment of sensitivity for the land and air vehicles independent of the main sensitivity setting in-game.

In the "land.dbx" and "air.dbx" files under "ConceptPitch" and "ConceptRoll" (not Yaw, that's only in "infantry.dbx"), you'll notice a familiar field:

<field name="ScaleValue">XXXXX</field> (Where "X" = what we're going to be adjusting).

"X", as you may have figured out, is a sensitivity multiplier. This value is multiplied by the main senitivity that you adjust in-game. Increase this value, increased sensitivity, but ONLY IN THE LAND/AIR VEHICLE, independent of your infantry sensitivity setting. This negates the need for all those fancy mice with the on-the-fly sensitivity buttons. I've also included the fields that determine camera senitivity in case your freelook views in the light vehicles or mouselook in the helicopter need adjustment. As a reminder, the in-game sensitivity adjustment affects ALL sensitivities; infantry, land, and air. In each case you need to adjust the "<field name="ScaleValue">XXXXX</field>" field.

Recommended values*:
"land.dbx" "ConceptPitch" and "ConceptRoll": Authour uses "0.1"
"ConceptCameraPitch" and "ConceptCameraYaw": Authour uses ".011"

"air.dbx" "ConceptPitch" and "ConceptRoll": Authour uses "2.5"
"ConceptCameraPitch" and "ConceptCameraYaw" (Mouselook adjustment) Authour uses ".01"

*Trial and error is the only way to make adjustments. You have to close down the game, make the value change, start the game, test in a game, then make another adjustment out of game if needed. Write down the original value or REFER TO YOUR BACKUPS. My values basically gave everything a boost, most heavily the turrets and the helicopter (turrets include IFV's and MBT's along with vehicle mounted turrets and stationary turrets).

Don't expect to be able to flip the turrets around and become a master stunt pilot with the helicopter. DICE has programmed maximums on the rate of roll/pitch/yaw on each vehicle that are not user editable. Find a sensitivity close to the max rate that still gives you fine control without being squirrely for best results.

As far as I know, these settings are PB safe. I haven't gotten banned/kicked from my own server yet, and I've put in many testing hours on it.

Feel free to pass this around the internet, all I ask for is the credit for it.

Regards, and happy gaming,

Beach Bum {SB}, http://www.slingblades.org

• Rep+
Reactions: DuckieHo

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be sure to let me know if anyone has any problems, I wrote this guide AFTER I had done the tweaks, and I think I caught all of the variable changes I made and remembered what everything did.

As for PB/Terms of Use issues, I'm leaning towards the idea that this is on the level, because it's a user change that is on the same line as the positive mouse acceleration, and that's user editable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the double post, but I've made some changes to the file due to some feedback. I'd forgotten that I've bumped my Yaw and Pitch factor to 1.0, and some users reported having to bump their sensitivity quite a bit to get it back to their normal levels. I've determined that a ScaleValue of "0.0125" is sufficient to get it close enough to the stock scale that had normalization. I'd also recommend that everyone bump their Pitch and Yaw factors up, as it seems to have made the mouse much more smooth and precise.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guide has had some updates, there's now a fix for Helicopter pilots that disables auto-leveling

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
Blocked at work.

Is this the problem where when in vehicles and some turrets mouse sensitivity is drastically reduced?
Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by thiru View Post
You can also use this.
I haven't tried either yet.
I'm not sure what that program does to the files to adjust the sensitivity. I know most of the configurators out there use a method that will wonk out your UAV and freelook.

As far as I know, nobody else has figured out how to disable the autoleveling for the helicopter, so nyeh.

·
Premium Member
8,652 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BeachBum
View Post

I'm not sure what that program does to the files to adjust the sensitivity. I know most of the configurators out there use a method that will wonk out your UAV and freelook.

As far as I know, nobody else has figured out how to disable the autoleveling for the helicopter, so nyeh.

I only use the helicopter when I'm trolling 24/7 Atacama Desert servers

I've just tried this program and it lets you change the soldier/vehicle/heli/freeview sensitivities one by one. What's free view/free look anyway?
I also haven't seen any differences with negative acceleration off. I don't even know what it is

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Peen
View Post

What exactly is this? Can someone sum this up?

It's to remove negative acceleration and tweak soldier/vehicle/heli/freeview mouse sensitivity among other things.

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
Seriously? Some workplaces block Google Docs? o_O

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post
I wanted to try this but for the life of me I can note find a file named input

I have files named settings .con and 1 called game settings .con and another called
game settings .bin all in the BFBC2 folder in My documents I am also still on XP
if that has an affect on it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beach Bum's Guide
If you do not have an input folder, you need to go to your keybinds settings and change one and then close the game. This will create the input folder and the .dbx files
Length.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts