1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if i use a bclk of 100 4.2 ghz my ram is set to 1806

if i use a bclk of 200 my ram is set to 1600 4.2 ghz

is it better to have the faster ram or the higher bclk for PERFORMANCE

i can easily go back to 1806 and drop the bclk to 100 or so and have the ram set to 7 7 7 24 1t

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Wait, can't you use a 10x memory divider?
If you're at 200BLCK and RAM is 1600MHz you're using 8x; bump it to 10x and you'll have 2000MHz.

Regarding clocks vs timings: with the IMC on Nehalem chips; frequency > latency, so having 2000MHz CAS9 would be more beneficial than 1800MHz CAS7.

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by candy_van
View Post

Wait, can't you use a 10x memory divider?
If you're at 200BLCK and RAM is 1600MHz you're using 8x; bump it to 10x and you'll have 2000MHz.

Regarding clocks vs timings: with the IMC on Nehalem chips; frequency > latency, so having 2000MHz CAS9 would be more beneficial than 1800MHz CAS7.

yes but the ram is never stable at 2000 ever

we have tried everything not possible which is why i am at 1806

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rud3Bwoy
View Post

yes but the ram is never stable at 2000 ever

we have tried everything not possible which is why i am at 1806

Wow really? Which kit is that CAS9 or CAS8?
Did you try loosening the timings / upping the volts a bit as well?

Given how much those kits cost, I'd actually send it back to Corsair if it can't run at stock settings...

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

View Post

Wow really? Which kit is that CAS9 or CAS8?
Did you try loosening the timings / upping the volts a bit as well?

Given how much those kits cost, I'd actually send it back to Corsair if it can't run at stock settings...

nope can't run at stock

cas 8

and its not the ram because the ram works fine at anything besides 2000

1906 runs fine for about 6 hours

no issues running 1806 and anything below 24 hours testing

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Well if it's not the RAM it's the board; and that board should have NO problem reading 2000MHz RAM...

At least it's the CAS8 set though; maybe try 2000MHz w/ 9-9-9-24 / voltage bump if you need (EDIT: guess you may have tried that
)
If you're fine with running it at 1806 / tighter timings fine (you're not going to notice any difference in gaming), it's really other applications / benching where you'd really want to have the 200MHz over timings.

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by candy_van View Post
Well if it's not the RAM it's the board; and that board should have NO problem reading 2000MHz RAM...

At least it's the CAS8 set though; maybe try 2000MHz w/ 9-9-9-24 / voltage bump if you need (EDIT: guess you may have tried that
)
If you're fine with running it at 1806 / tighter timings fine (you're not going to notice any difference in gaming), it's really other applications / benching where you'd really want to have the 200MHz over timings.
tried that to nothing

right now i am at 7 7 7 24 1t 1806

good?

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
Well yea looks darn good

Again so long as you don't mind the fact you're not hitting 2000MHz it's not going to be a very noticeable (if at all) difference in your games etc.

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

View Post

Well yea looks darn good

Again so long as you don't mind the fact you're not hitting 2000MHz it's not going to be a very noticeable (if at all) difference in your games etc.

i am guessing its the ram

my 1866 back on my rampage 2 and 920 did 1900 or a little above no issues

these sticks have issues

also i seen others with the same issues as well

anyway

you think the ram can go even lower if so suggestions?

because 6 6 6 24 does not boot at all

·
semi-legit
7,980 Posts
The lowered CAS isn't going to make much of a difference as opposed to what you have now.
Again with the Integrated Memory Controller, latency is greatly reduced already so tighter timings don't yield as much of a benefit as upping frequency.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts