Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of getting the 905e because of the much lower TDP, VCore required and temps...but will overclocking it be limited unlike a black edition? Say I wanted to take it to 4GHz, would it be able to without hitting a wall?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Theres no way the 905e would be able to overclock that high. And the Black edition thing is just saying that the cpu has an unlocked multiplier. But if you want to hit 4 ghz, you're gonna need nice overclocking board and a 955 or a 940.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlord369 View Post
Theres no way the 905e would be able to overclock that high. And the Black edition thing is just saying that the cpu has an unlocked multiplier. But if you want to hit 4 ghz, you're gonna need nice overclocking board and a 955 or a 940.
Wouldn't lower TDP and lower VCORE have a better chance? It hits 3.2GHz with a lower VCORE than the 955...and don't the new Phenoms like lower temperatures than more VCORE? So all in all lower TDP, Lower VCORE, Lower Temp = higher O/C?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAlex View Post
Wouldn't lower TDP and lower VCORE have a better chance? It hits 3.2GHz with a lower VCORE than the 955...and don't the new Phenoms like lower temperatures than more VCORE? So all in all lower TDP, Lower VCORE, Lower Temp = higher O/C?
Sure the chips like a lower temp but this is a powersaving chip. And also, the reason for the lower vcore is cause it runs at such a low frequency. But I think the most you could squeeze out the chip is like 3.2

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Quote:

thing is, you can only push your ref clock so far.
and its not very far at that
thats why you need a black edition
to push your multiplier

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
with the 905e you'll be need a very good mobo and ram in order to achieve those high clocks.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When FUD reveiwed it they got it to 3.5 with the stock cooler...wouldn't proper cooling do better? AND a better motherboard (they used a UD4P lolo).

Maybe this is a turning age in CPUs? :O A new secret oc'ing beast?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrAlex
View Post

When FUD reveiwed it they got it to 3.5 with the stock cooler...wouldn't proper cooling do better? AND a better motherboard (they used a UD4P lolo).

whats wrong with a ud4p?
i doubt any other board could do better, it probably didnt run into temp issues, just ref clock limits.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by zomgiwin
View Post

whats wrong with a ud4p?
i doubt any other board could do better, it probably didnt run into temp issues, just ref clock limits.

Uses the 790X chipset. Im sure a 790FX will be better for OC, because it's not a crippled version of another chipset.

Motherboards I expect to OC more:

Crosshair III
M4A79T Deluxe
MSI 790FX-GD70
DFI LP DK 790FX-M3H5

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:

Uses the 790X chipset. Im sure a 790FX will be better for OC, because it's not a crippled version of another chipset.

Motherboards I expect to OC more:

Crosshair III
M4A79T Deluxe
MSI 790FX-GD70
DFI LP DK 790FX-M3H5
Sorry to disappoint you but that will have little to no bearing on your overclock. Just because a motherboard is a cheaper version of another chipset doesn't reduce it's ability to overclock.

·
Banned
5,782 Posts
Quote:

Maybe this is a turning age in CPUs? :O A new secret oc'ing beast?
Since when was the UD4P a bad mobo?

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
I don't like ud4p but just because it is 790x chipset doesn't mean it won't overclock as good as 790gx/790fx (but because it is a Gigabyte is the reason.) And besides, on old phenoms, ACC (sb750) controlled big overclocks, not the NB. Anyway, get a 905e if you want to save a little on your power bill, and get a black edition if you are going to overclock.

·
Banned
5,782 Posts
I can do 3.93GHz on a suicide run (on stock cooler I wouldn't dare go that high 24/7) and I can crossfire my 4890s with their full potential being used so somebody explain to me what is wrong with the 790X chipset.

·
Tappy tap tap
4,288 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Afrodisiac View Post
I can do 3.93GHz on a suicide run (on stock cooler I wouldn't dare go that high 24/7) and I can crossfire my 4890s with their full potential being used so somebody explain to me what is wrong with the 790X chipset.
Nothing is wrong with the chipset. I like my mobo. I can easily take my 940 to 4.5 on a suicide...I haven't dared go higher.

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok...sorry just thought 790X since it was a crippled chipset would have crippled o/cs, guess I was wrong. :s

·
Banned
371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dopamin3
View Post

I don't like ud4p but just because it is 790x chipset doesn't mean it won't overclock as good as 790gx/790fx (but because it is a Gigabyte is the reason.) And besides, on old phenoms, ACC (sb750) controlled big overclocks, not the NB. Anyway, get a 905e if you want to save a little on your power bill, and get a black edition if you are going to overclock.

Gigabyte makes some of the best boards money can buy. Just look at the GA-EP45-UD3P.

OP- I seriously doubt you will get 4ghz on that thing. Even with an amazing motherboard you will struggle to get above 3.7

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
790x/790gx usually requires less volts than a 790fx for the same oc.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sarngate
View Post

Sorry to disappoint you but that will have little to no bearing on your overclock. Just because a motherboard is a cheaper version of another chipset doesn't reduce it's ability to overclock.

The actual chipset itself has no bearing, but FX boards are marketed as top of the line and are more likely to have an 8 pin cpu power plug and better mosfet cooling and such.

The X/GX boards also sometimes don't have as many OCing options in the bios.

This isn't always the case, my GX board has the same options as my FX board, but only 4 pin power plug for the CPU

1 - 19 of 19 Posts