Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy-- Intermittent long time lurker, first time poster.

Right now I'm on an Athlon 64 x2 overclocked to about 3.3Ghz (Stock 3.0) and an 8800GTS (also overclocked slightly). It's nice, there's nothing it can't run but I do have to back the settings off on most newer games to keep decent framerates.

I want to build something more up to date. My goal is for the new box to devour any game that's out right now, but I don't want to waste money on overkill. I'm getting out of AMD, this processor runs hot and doesn't overclock all that well.

Here's what I've come up with:
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=14794286

Few questions--
When I built this computer a few years ago, you were generally better off spending twice as much on 1 GPU rather than going SLI. The only time it was really viable is putting 2 top end GPU's together to get ridonkulous framerates, but you'd get driver and compatibility issues. Is this still the case?

Exactly how amazing is SSD? Is it worth a few hundred bucks to get one? It's more expensive per GB than RAID, does the difference pay off?

Has anyone made a computer yet that FSX can't smack around like a redheaded stepchild? I enjoy flight sim, and I'm sure it'll run better on the new rig than my current one, but it's a poorly written game and is very heavy on the CPU. I'm curious if It would be worth it to get a 960 instead of a 950, though the price different is pretty huge.

Can't decide on a keyboard. I want something quiet, smooth, and I kinda like pretty lights. They make me happy inside.

Thanks for the advice

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I would say it is still better to spend more on a beefy single card as opposed to having two cards. For the reasons you listed, scalability and driver problems. With that said if you do go the multiple GPU route I'd definately go with Nvidia as it seems they are doing a MUCH better job of it then AMD is at the moment.

SSD wise I'm sure you will get different answers from different folks. Me I have no problem with waiting an extra 15 seconds or so for my OS to boot up if it saves me 200 dollars lol. Regardless price per GB ratio on SSD's compared to Raid is absolutely horrible! SSD's are really expensive. Honestly though they are pretty amazing. It really just comes down to how much money you want to spend. If you have the income and buying a SSD won't keep you from purchasing a better CPU or GPU then sure no reason not to try it. NEVER sacrifice your CPU or GPU for an SSD though. Not if you're mainly wanting a PC for gaming.

Those are just my 2 cents

·
Super Moderator
32,930 Posts
That build looks absolutely killer, and should work for quite a while. I would suggest finding the i7 920 or 930 instead (if still available) and just overclocking it. They'll hit the same speeds for less money

I personally NEVER go dual GPU. Yes, they still have issues. Is it worth it, to some, sure. For a single monitor, that GTX480 will be MORE than enough for now.

SSD's are great, but only really useful for your Operating system and main programs. They won't help any at all in gaming, other than a second or two off loading screens (big deal). I'm more than happy with my RAID0 on these F3's, and it was a much better buy in my opinion over an SSD because I get 2TB instead of 60GB of space. I just can't justify spending so much on so little space. Just my opinion, others swear by SSD's.

No, it wouldn't be worth it to get the 960. Get the 920 or 930 and overclock it instead. Any i7 will hit 4.0-4.5GHz with ease (somewhere in that range).

Keyboard, that's all personal preference, but for your build, I would suggest looking into a mechanical keyboard
. There's a Mechanical Keyboard guide somewhere on this site that should tell you everything you need to know about them.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Live near a Microcenter?
cause you can get an i7 930 for 100 less there

SSDs are great for boot drives, but realisticly you will also need another HD for storage.
I have one and love the boot times and program loads, but I also have a spinpoint f3 for storage ect...

SLI has definly come a long way in the past few years, it is a viable option.
Weather you start with sli or ugrade to sli later is another stroy...

Any I7 9** cpu will have a more or less equal chance of OCing well. You would be better off with an above average i7 930 than an average 960.
Buying used is a great option, you can buy a chip that is known to hit 4+ Ghz with low volts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I was going to go with the 930 but it's a $15 difference on the egg. Is the 950 not even worth that much?

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wholy crap, Justin I think you just saved me a hundred bucks. There's one about 30 minutes from where I live, I'd never heard of them before. Think I'll be going with the 930 after all!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traches View Post
Wholy crap, Justin I think you just saved me a hundred bucks. There's one about 30 minutes from where I live, I'd never heard of them before. Think I'll be going with the 930 after all!
Proof that OCN = Win!

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Quote:

Has anyone made a computer yet that FSX can't smack around like a redheaded stepchild? I enjoy flight sim, and I'm sure it'll run better on the new rig than my current one, but it's a poorly written game and is very heavy on the CPU. I'm curious if It would be worth it to get a 960 instead of a 950, though the price different is pretty huge.

Can't decide on a keyboard. I want something quiet, smooth, and I kinda like pretty lights. They make me happy inside.

FSX is really one huge hulk of bad programming. it smacks around my rig too. although not as much as my old P4 rig i had before

get the 930 and oc or get the 960 and not have to oc as much, you usually will hit the same wall. but my 960 was pretty dang easy to 4.0-4.2 seeing as it runs stock at 3.2GHz.

and i think most of OCN shares your views on lights
i know i do heh.

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
the RAM is not good for the price(Corsair is good, of course, but for $180 you can do better than CAS 8). I'm a mushkin fanboy, but really check out their blackline kit. CAS 7 for a lot less $$$ and it's still 1600MHz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-030-_-Product

They have the best customer support I have ever dealt with - and their products are just as good.

If you still want to spend around $180 on RAM, check out the redline. CAS 6 1600MHz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-121-_-Product

Notice the MIR, comes out to be $175 AR for CAS 6

Quote:

Exactly how amazing is SSD? Is it worth a few hundred bucks to get one? It's more expensive per GB than RAID, does the difference pay off?

I built an i7 rig for a friend last week and I was surprised how snappy the SSD makes everything. There is no more waiting for anything - like when you start typing in start search, results instantly pop up. On my computer it still takes .25 seconds, but with an SSD it's like .001.

960 vs 950 shouldn't make a difference. You're going to top out around 4.2GHz unless you get a full water setup with either of them.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Definitely going to look into those mobos as well. You know I always had a sneaking suspicion that newegg wasn't the only respectable place to get computer bits...

Anyway it's 2AM, bed for me.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by chatch15117 View Post
the RAM is not good for the price(Corsair is good, of course, but for $180 you can do better than CAS 8). I'm a mushkin fanboy, but really check out their blackline kit. CAS 7 for a lot less $$$ and it's still 1600MHz.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-030-_-Product

They have the best customer support I have ever dealt with - and their products are just as good.
Taking your advice on the RAM, I had just picked corsair figuring I couldn't go wrong...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts