Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been running Slax6.1.2 in Copy2ram mode for about 24 hours now, and I notice that when I leave the computer for a few hours it takes about 15 seconds to sorta 'wake-up' when I return. But when it does its rocket fast.

I have 2gb of corsair 667 in this thing... is it possible the ram is culprit? How can I keep the ram 'excited' when everything else is idle to test this?

BTW, I'm really loving this new Slax version! Next I'll test the latest Puppy in C2R, but I gotta tell ya, I'm tempted to just forget about Puppy and keep Barking Slax in all its 4 leaf clover glory!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Is the computer going into hibernate? If so it copies what ever is in ram to your swap space. So when you reactivate it must copy back from swap space to your ram.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StupidMonkey
View Post

I've been running Slax6.1.2 in Copy2ram mode for about 24 hours now, and I notice that when I leave the computer for a few hours it takes about 15 seconds to sorta 'wake-up' when I return. But when it does its rocket fast.

If the computer's gone into (S3) sleep then it has to redetect and reinitialize all the hardware when it wakes up. This may take a few seconds longer on Linux than it does on Windows, or it may just be that it's taking longer because the computer is old.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shughard
View Post

Is the computer going into hibernate? If so it copies what ever is in ram to your swap space. So when you reactivate it must copy back from swap space to your ram.

Live CDs virtually never use swap space, since they're set up to not touch the hard drive by default.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10
View Post

Live CDs virtually never use swap space, since they're set up to not touch the hard drive by default.

I stand corrected I didn't think about it being a live cd.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts