Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Running little late for crystmas (typo intended) wish list, but still how many users here are unhappy with their behemoth rigs? In other words, why downsizing trend didn't affect PC gamers community yet? I'm for one would be perfectly OK with incoming i5 broadwell soldered to motherboard equipped with power supply. The whole system could cost as much as a discrete processor, and be more efficient as well. Why this trend has not caught up yet?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I love my behemoth rig!

But there is value in having smaller computers if you want to move them around a lot.

·
Registered
321 Posts
My computer is everything I wish my car still was. It's big, it's simple to fix (for a knowledgeable person) with very few tools, it's easy to upgrade, and there's room in it to work. Tweaking the hardware is half the fun of building it myself. If I was just looking for a system to play games on, I'd have a console. A computer marketed to me as pre-assembled in a small, energy-efficient form factor would be great if all I wanted to do was game on the cheap. However, I enjoy assembling, overclocking, and attaining as much performance as possible without buying everything "extreme" edition just because it's the top end. I know I'm simplifying my explanation, but I'm trying to clearly show how I feel about my "behemoth" rig. I love the CM HAF 932 case and I really love the hardware in it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking420 View Post

.. gives my 970's room to breath
Why do you feel that power efficient 970 needs something more "substantial" than micro, or even mini ITX enclosure? I attribute your perception on poor job by tech review sites. Somehow, they convinced gamer community that metal box enclosing their system matters. Instead of publishing yet another silly build:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/q4-2014-system-builder-marathon-conclusion,4024.html
they could put the same hardware in different cases, run the benchmarks, and convince the reader that there is really little difference. That perhaps the front fan diameter makes more difference than the case volume. If you feel that the enclosure is too small just equip it with 140 mm (or 200 mm!) fan, and this should take care of the problem.

OK, here is my question phrased differently. You have standard ATX case now. For your next build, you would upgrade everything, and yet keep the system dimensions as they are? Why something designed 30 years ago (standard ATX) still matter?

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tegiri Nenashi View Post

Why do you feel that power efficient 970 needs something more "substantial" than micro, or even mini ITX enclosure? I attribute your perception on poor job by tech review sites. Somehow, they convinced gamer community that metal box enclosing their system matters. Instead of publishing yet another silly build:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/q4-2014-system-builder-marathon-conclusion,4024.html
they could put the same hardware in different cases, run the benchmarks, and convince the reader that there is really little difference. That perhaps the front fan diameter makes more difference than the case volume. If you feel that the enclosure is too small just equip it with 140 mm (or 200 mm!) fan, and this should take care of the problem.

OK, here is my question phrased differently. You have standard ATX case now. For your next build, you would upgrade everything, and yet keep the system dimensions as they are? Why something designed 30 years ago (standard ATX) still matter?
Noise is another factor. A giant case has room for plenty of radiators- so much that my computer is completely silent, even under full load.

A 970 in a mini itx case won't be silent under load.

·
Registered
748 Posts
While I love my 900D, I've been feeling the 'call' of mITX more and more keenly lately
biggrin.gif
I think I'll downsize for my next build, the idea of having a rig that can power 4k yet is small enough to carry under one arm is really awesome. Plus, there are some really beautiful SFF cases out there.

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
Idk why but sff builds all look the same too me, they also feel very boring, I know they aren't and I know they are hard to do but they just make me think wow! Another copy of a rig I saw /yawn.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I downsized and hated it. Not enough room to work, looks cluttered as all get out, and no expansion options after a certain point. As soon as I find a good micro atx board that can house an nhd14 I'm off of mini itx forever.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuhfhrh View Post

A 970 in a mini itx case won't be silent under load.
To become convinced I want to see the numbers.

Here is the cute mini system I'm thinking of.

Case dimensions: 10" x 10" x 10". 200 mm fan in front. With optical/hard disc obsolescence, there is no obstruction within this "wind tunnel". The SSD can be mounted on the side, and by the virtue of its size takes negligible volume. 970 on the other side doesn't obstruct airflow either. Both CPU and GPU can even have passive radiators, because 200 mm fan airflow should be more than adequate.

To summarize, I appreciate modular design as well. However, I think modularity should be left only where it matters: discrete GPU, memory, storage. Even PSU can be migrated to the motherboard.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
If you want to game on any decently dense panel, ie. over 1440P, you're going to need a couple gpus especially at 4k or triple panels. Start adding gpus and that mini case won't cut it nor will the cooling. I don't think I could ever go back top single 1080P, ever.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Single 970 runs QHD just fine, but let's focus on SLI. I don't see how two cards aligned parallel to airflow are much different from single one. The internal temperature is a function of case volume only when you have inadequate ventilation.

To address another concern -- as we are speaking of micro ATX system in mini ITX sized enclosure -- yes, this is cramped space. This is because standard power supply would take almost half of the volume! To put it blundly, I see little justification for a device, whose only function is to convert 120v AC to 12v DC while introducing ridiculous cable mess inside the enclosure -- it should be built into the motherboard:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1533218/motherboards-with-built-in-ps

·
Old to Overclock.net
996 Posts
I have a 600T right now and if anything, I'm looking at going bigger with the 900D. Nothin' gets the ladies to de-pants themselves quicker than the sight of a glorious, towering, multi-GPU'd, behemoth of a rig, glowing in the corner. Chicks dig the long FPS.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkcyde View Post

Chicks dig the long FPS.
Fingers Per Second?
headscratch.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts