Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be building a machine to replace my current router. It's only been a couple months since I finished my main case mod, but I already have the bug again. This time I'm going to attempt to create something from scratch. It will be running Untangle and serve as my router, firewall, and IDS. Here's what I have so far - a mess.

DSC03317.JPG

Specs of this beautiful PC that was given to me:
Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2Ghz
1.5GB DDR RAM
Gigabit NIC

Still waiting on a second gigabit nic to ship here. I know having anything over 10/100 is overkill but that's OK
thumb.gif

Other than that I still need a hard drive, which I will probably get this weekend.

Building materials:
  • plywood
  • acrylic
  • angle iron to cut a hdd mount
  • quarter-round edge molding
  • 1" dowel rod
  • case feet ripped off my Antec
So this is the plan:

Plywood base painted and overlaid with sheet of acrylic. 5 pieces of dowel rod to standoff the mobo. HDD mounted underneath mobo. PSU on its side next to all that, painted.

I would scan a picture of my sketch but I can't draw worth a crap so I will just upload pics as I work. I realize there may be little interest for something like this, I'm just using it as a way to organize my thoughts. And don't expect a beautiful work of art, its going to be functional more than anything, just a compact platform to set in the hutch above my desk.

• Rep+
Reactions: t-ramp

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, yours is beautiful! I really like the stained wood. Mine will definitely be much rougher than that, but we'll see how it turns out
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a lot done yesterday. The corners on the edge molding didn't come out perfect, but cutting those at exactly a 45 is a lot harder than it looks, even with a miter saw.

With the acrylic sheet laid over

And just an idea of where this is heading..

Drive mount cut from angle iron

Several hard drives and other hardware in line for testing.

Overall, this has turned out MUCH nicer than I expected it to. So much so, that I think I'm going to give it a dark stain rather than just going over it with spraypaint. It should turn out a lot nicer that way; never stained wood before though.

Staining the wood and painting the metal parts/PSU is really all I have left. Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Metal parts sanded. Paint this weekend if I have time.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cut a paint template:

Put down some primer yesterday, wet sanded it today.

All ready to lay down a couple black base coats tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The finished wood.

Mockup of what it will look like when finished, with the acrylic over the wood.

There were a couple setbacks during this step. I had measured carefully and believed the HDD would fit, but for some reason it won't fit in those rails by just a fraction of an inch. I should have caught that mistake earlier. Long story short I will have to repaint those pieces.

Also, I had planned on using two PCI NICs, but for some reason this PC refuses to power up with two NICs installed. Just one boots up fine, but two will not start the cpu fan up. I think this power supply is a little sketchy, whatever. I will just roll with the onboard NIC and the PCI one.

Project is nearing completion, but I'm ridiculously busy with preparing to graduate college and get a job, so this is going on hold for a week or two.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure, I will update with that as well, detailing the install and setup. Working on obtaining a small hard drive on the cheap right now.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope, I did look at my options and considered smoothwall but I've heard UT is very easy to setup and manage. For a first time thing I figured I would try it, if it doesn't work out I may give monowall a shot.

Build will be completed this week.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had untangle for a couple of years, then we got an Astaro firewall at work and I've been running it at home now. It's free for up to 50 ip addresses I believe. I found untangle to be clunky in comparison.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just finished setting everything up. Some pics from the install:

IMG_0146.jpg

When you install Untangle you are basically installing a debian distro, complete with grub and all that.

IMG_0149.jpg

After formatting the hdd, the actual install took about 15 min.

IMG_0150.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndoggfromhell;13796811
I found untangle to be clunky in comparison.
YES. I knew that going into this, but it was still kind of silly reading all the things it needed to install during the initial installation process. It is definitely not a lightweight system.

IMG_0151.jpg

It's a good thing I'm leaving this sytem on all the time, because it takes about 5 whole minutes to boot. I am running old hardware, but not that old - it can boot Lubuntu in a fraction of the time.

IMG_0154.jpg

config screen, blah blah

Untangle.jpg

Installed several packages, though the main one I'm after is the IDS.

Some pics of the lit machine sitting on the hutch above my monitor:

IMG_0157.jpg

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0155.jpg

Overall I'm pretty pleased with the result. I had no problems with installation and setup, aside from a small mishap where I got my NICs switched around (my mistake). There doesn't seem to be any added latency at all to the network.

It does everything I need it to for now, build successful!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liighthead;15378118
random bump

but nice work on the bench
smile.gif

untangle box does? :/
Thanks. I can't tell, did you have a question? I'm not actually using this machine anymore, switched to redundant pfSense firewalls running inside VM's. Untangle is nice, but pfSense has a lot of free features that UT would make you pay for.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, I see. it was a firewall/gateway. Basically a replacement for a traditional router that's placed in between the cable modem and network switch. More customizable and better security than the linksys router it replaced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts