Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys

I just saw the announcement for this upcoming BenQ model:

https://www.google.dk/search?q=BENQ...69i57j69i59.6195j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And as far as I know, BenQ exclusively uses AUO optronics panels, so this doesn't seem to be another monitor with the Curved samsung panel. And from what I can on TFT central, quote:

"This looks to be a new AUO panel since the two current M315DVR01.0 and 1.1 panels are curved format"

Source: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_32gk850g.htm

So im guessing this new BenQ will be using either M315DVR01.0 or M315DVR01.1? Has these been used before? Because I can see it's 90% DCI-P3, so this would mean the color gamut also is something like 120-125% sRGB? So almost Quantum dot?

Anything im missing? :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
The LG 32GK850G is using M315DVR panel with backlight by LG, that has already been confirmed by Tftcentral. Even though that panel is supposed to be curved...either LG ordered a custom flat version from AUO or they flattened the panels themselves (if such is even possible). The entire M315DVR series is supposed to be curved, as denoted by the R in the name.

The majority of BenQ monitors use AUO panels but not exclusively, there exist monitors from them with panels from other panel manufacturers. So there's still a chance it uses the Samsung panel again.
But I agree, in terms of probability it is most likely it has M315DVR01.0 CELL with enhanced phosphor WLED (PFS-LED) backlight for the 90% DCI-P3 coverage.

To find out for sure, it's possible to differentiate AUO/Samsung VA matrix by looking at subpixel photo that shows subpixels while partially dimmed. (AUO dims bottom section, Samsung dims top section)
Also some BenQ monitors have easily accessible service menus (Power On+Menu buttons) and there it usually lists the panel.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Just got one and it serves my purposes just fine. I'm more than satisfied with it.

·
Overclocker
11,633 Posts
It's curved, don't care who makes it, probably AUO, removed from my watch list long ago, there is a curved VA in that size also with Gsync but it goes unnoticed. Most likely a curved variant of the same panel/CELL used in LG. No one should be getting curved monitor, not for movies, not for games, not for desktop use.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought the BenQ EX3203R and this far (used it about a two weeks now) I'm quite happy with it. Will see what I think about this screen after month or two. It uses 144Hz VA panel and in service menu it shows thats its: TPV TPM31WQ1DVR01.A . No idea who is this TPV, never heard of them. At first i thought it was AU Optronics like moust of the BenQ screens.

The screen has DisplayPort 1.4 and compared to the previews BenQ EX3501R I had, it even works (it shows 1.4 not 1.2 like the other one). The automatic brightness control works like a charm this time and even the HDR looks good and after switching from HDR to SDR it doesn't mess up the sharpness settings (Old EX3501r did that). It's really good for work, reading documents and web. This screen is just easy to look at. And its quite capable in gaming to. I only found some patterns in games that smear. But usually there's not much smearing. It doesn't have the issues I had with the BenQ EX3501r. But when you want really fast gaming monitor go for the Asus 165Hz TN panel. I have one for fast gaming and let me tell you - its night and day compared to any other panels I have used. It's ultra fast and 0% smearing. But for office work I don't like it.

So if this info is usefull for someone then good. I just wanted to give some feedback on the EX3203R.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I bought the BenQ EX3203R and this far (used it about a two weeks now) I'm quite happy with it. Will see what I think about this screen after month or two. It uses 144Hz VA panel and in service menu it shows thats its: TPV TPM31WQ1DVR01.A . No idea who is this TPV, never heard of them. At first i thought it was AU Optronics like moust of the BenQ screens.

The screen has DisplayPort 1.4 and compared to the previews BenQ EX3501R I had, it even works (it shows 1.4 not 1.2 like the other one). The automatic brightness control works like a charm this time and even the HDR looks good and after switching from HDR to SDR it doesn't mess up the sharpness settings (Old EX3501r did that). It's really good for work, reading documents and web. This screen is just easy to look at. And its quite capable in gaming to. I only found some patterns in games that smear. But usually there's not much smearing. It doesn't have the issues I had with the BenQ EX3501r. But when you want really fast gaming monitor go for the Asus 165Hz TN panel. I have one for fast gaming and let me tell you - its night and day compared to any other panels I have used. It's ultra fast and 0% smearing. But for office work I don't like it.

So if this info is usefull for someone then good. I just wanted to give some feedback on the EX3203R.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TPV_Technology
"It sells its products under its own AOC and Envision brands"

So AOC is now manufacturing panels? lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TPV_Technology
"It sells its products under its own AOC and Envision brands"

So AOC is now manufacturing panels? lol

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Never used AOC monitors.
This far haven't found any stuck or dead pixels. Or had any issues to mention of. Only thing I dont get it is the color space. It's DCI P3 90%. How is it compared to RGP color space that LCD screens usually have? The colors this far look good and have nice contrast, its VA after all.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Never used AOC monitors.
This far haven't found any stuck or dead pixels. Or had any issues to mention of. Only thing I dont get it is the color space. It's DCI P3 90%. How is it compared to RGP color space that LCD screens usually have? The colors this far look good and have nice contrast, its VA after all.
How is the 5% and 50% grey uniformity? and backlight bleed with the curved panel?

https://www.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2016/5-percent.png
https://www.rtings.com/images/test-materials/2015/204_Gray_Uniformity.png

·
Registered
27 Posts

it looks fine to my eyes. I don't notice anything unusual or bad. The backlight bleed is OK. Maybe its little bit brighter in the lower left side. But nothing I notice during movies, gaming and using this screen for web/work.

I was between this BenQ and MSI gaming 31,5" model (i like the bigger screen with 1440p, easer to read when working). Will c if it was a good investment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same - I also have this monitor and found no issues with BLB or uniformity, in contrast to the C27HG70 I had before, which had that plus the "dirty screen effect" on greys.
@wuudu one problem I have is that I can't save the sharpness setting. The font is a bit too sharp for me at 110% display scaling in Windows, so I'd like to reduce sharpness to 7. But each time the monitor goes to sleep it resets the sharpness back to 10. Do you also have this problem?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Same - I also have this monitor and found no issues with BLB or uniformity, in contrast to the C27HG70 I had before, which had that plus the "dirty screen effect" on greys.

@wuudu one problem I have is that I can't save the sharpness setting. The font is a bit too sharp for me at 110% display scaling in Windows, so I'd like to reduce sharpness to 7. But each time the monitor goes to sleep it resets the sharpness back to 10. Do you also have this problem?
Sounds like it can handle the curving process pretty well then.

You should contact BenQ support, it's awesome, totally different than bigger companies like LG. If there's actually something wrong with the monitor firmware - they will pass the message along and fix it.

·
Banned
8,804 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sounds like it can handle the curving process pretty well then.

You should contact BenQ support, it's awesome, totally different than bigger companies like LG. If there's actually something wrong with the monitor firmware - they will pass the message along and fix it.
Thanks, I'll try that! Do you happen to know if BenQ monitors usually have user-updateable firmware?

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Thanks, I'll try that! Do you happen to know if BenQ monitors usually have user-updateable firmware?
No idea, does the manual say anything about a usb port for updating?

Can you see a faint blue line like this at the border, when looking at an angle? If so, it's the Samsung panel.

Attachments

·
Overclocker
11,633 Posts
Considering AOC is a brand created by Philips, which is, in turn, partly owned by TPV, a panel manufacturer, one can say AOC is (directly or otherwise) manufacturing their own panels.
I don't think they make any of these faster larger panels. They do rebrand all of their previous panels they've used in AOC and Philips from Samsung, AUO, etc. They make monitors and change external parts. They like to change backlights etc. then rename the panel. DVR01 is AUO's name for their panel.

Z321QU has the "same" curved panel but offers rip off sync. Can't say it's a popular model either.

Samsung VAs dims pixel parts the other way compared to AUO, that's an easy way to tell them apart. This was always supposed to be AUO, it took similar ages for it to get to market too, the Samsungs have been around for ages, I've yet to see a BenQ monitor with Samsung panel, they probably only use AUO for such panels instead of Samsung.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No idea, does the manual say anything about a usb port for updating?

Can you see a faint blue line like this at the border, when looking at an angle? If so, it's the Samsung panel.

No, there's no mention of updating the firmware anywhere, but I thought maybe there may be some commonly known ways to do this.

I'll check about the line when I get home, but from what I've read this is an AUO panel and not the 31.5 inch Samsung VA 144hz one, as that one has various issues that's shared by all models other than the C32HG70 that use it, which is why I tried to avoid it.

I'll also write BenQ about the sharpness setting issue, but if there's no way to update the firmware the point might be moot... :/

·
Overclocker
11,633 Posts
There is often a way to update the firmware but not a user friendly one or one where the manufacturer would actually give you the updated firmware. Samsungs can supposedly be user updated but I haven't tried the weird process myself. Most monitors cannot be updated by user as they lack a service USB port and tools to update available to users.

·
Registered
27 Posts

I have the sharpness setting @ its default value and this far it hasn't changed. I changed it to value 7 and after turning off the screen and on again it was still @ 7. I had this type of problem with BenQ EX3501r. After the HDR auto efekt reset the screen to standart it changed the sharpness value to 10 and left it there (from the value 5).

·
Registered
27 Posts
No, there's no mention of updating the firmware anywhere, but I thought maybe there may be some commonly known ways to do this.

I'll check about the line when I get home, but from what I've read this is an AUO panel and not the 31.5 inch Samsung VA 144hz one, as that one has various issues that's shared by all models other than the C32HG70 that use it, which is why I tried to avoid it.

I'll also write BenQ about the sharpness setting issue, but if there's no way to update the firmware the point might be moot... :/

I dont think that this one is AUO panel. Its - TPV TPM31WQ1DVR01.A . So the manufacturer seems to be AOC .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts