Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bent a USB header when routing PCI cables near it. The motherboard stopped posting/displaying image. It did with a different GPU, for a while, but when doing another test with this second GPU, it too stopped working. I have done extensive tests but what I really want to know is if this bent USB is culprit of no post/image displaying or not as RMA has denied warranty on basis of this damage nor have they helped me locate problem I've been having.

Attachments

·
Senior OCN Member
42,059 Posts
A damaged USB header can brick a whole motherboard if you damage it i did the same thing once and i had to RMA the board
Asus boards are the worst when it comes to this

·
Rig Advisor
4,644 Posts
It's possible/probable. They don't look too bad. Just bend them back into place. If you send it for an RMA like that, they will site user error and deny your RMA. You really don't have many other options as I see it. Just know if you do decide to bend it back in place and happen to damage the same area again, it will likely snap the pin off completely. I would avoid using that particular header at all moving forward.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's possible/probable. They don't look too bad. Just bend them back into place. If you send it for an RMA like that, they will site user error and deny your RMA. You really don't have many other options as I see it. Just know if you do decide to bend it back in place and happen to damage the same area again, it will likely snap the pin off completely. I would avoid using that particular header at all moving forward.
Pin was bent by pressure from PCI cables, I routed GPU power cables in cable hole near the pin and realized it was poor placement. As i took both 8 pin cables out I bent it. I did not nor have plans of using the pin, but my motherboard has POST issues with GPUs, it doesn't post and when it does it does not last. So I am most anxious to know if it's USB pin that's causing the POST issue or if it's a separate issue.

·
Rig Advisor
4,644 Posts
Pin was bent by pressure from PCI cables, I routed GPU power cables in cable hole near the pin and realized it was poor placement. As i took both 8 pin cables out I bent it. I did not nor have plans of using the pin, but my motherboard has POST issues with GPUs, it doesn't post and when it does it does not last. So I am most anxious to know if it's USB pin that's causing the POST issue or if it's a separate issue.
Are we sure this isn't a PSU failing?

·
Registered
903 Posts
It doesn't look like anything is shorted (pins touching other pins), so it shouldn't be the cause of any problems you're experiencing. For clarity - it is not the cause of any problems unless the pins are touching.

You can bend them back with a flathead screwdriver (you might want to so that another smaller bump in the future doesn't cause a short. Those pins are not particularly delicate - being bent (like they are now) and then bent back shouldn't affect them. They'll just be back in place and as rigid as new.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Are we sure this isn't a PSU failing?
It sounds like the motherboard to me.

Have you reset the CMOS? (shorted the CMOS pins or removed the BIOS battery)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It sounds like the motherboard to me.

Have you reset the CMOS? (shorted the CMOS pins or removed the BIOS battery)
Troubleshooting:

• Clear CMOS by shorting pins
  • Updated BIOS
  • Tried with three different GPUs in main PCI-E slot. The one I had problem with did not display image anymore. A GT 710 did POST and get to OS (and continued to work the many times I tried). So did a 3060 but the 3060 stopped working the second time I installed it.
  • Installed main GPU in PCI slot 2, and it worked. It's lower speed though
  • Did memtest and it passed. Tried with single modules.
  • Wiped off GPU gold plate and CPUs and checked them both for damage
  • Checked for PSU by using additional PCI E cable I requested from manufacturer. Tried different PCI E slots on PSU ports.
  • Basically ran the system with minimal hardware connected to it did not solve issue
  • Mouse and keyboard worked fine when system did display OS during times I got system to display with different GPUs and PCI slot
  • Looked at CPU core temps with Afterburner and they look fine

·
Registered
903 Posts
(I'm assuming the second slot is x4 to the chipset and your main GPU is nvidia)

Try installing the main GPU in the secondary slot then reinstalling the OS (to a blank hard drive if you want - it's just for testing at this point). Once that's done and you've completed all your motherboard/chipset/GPU, well, all driver updates really, move your main GPU up to the motherboard's primary slot and see if it still works there. If it doesn't, try putting the 710 in the primary slot.

If the problem isn't solved, then in my opinion, there are two possibilities:
  • the motherboard is broken
  • CPU PCIe lanes are broken

It's unlikely this problem is from a dirty contact after all the inserts/removes you did, but as a last effort you can try spraying some electrical contact cleaner into the slot and quickly repeatedly removing and inserting one of your graphics cards like 7-10 times. Then let your GPU sit outside the case for 5-10 minutes while all the contact cleaner evaporates. If it's a contact there's about a 98% chance it will be fixed on the first try, but at this point there's nothing to lose so you can repeat the process to make absolutely sure it's not a contact. While the GPU is out while the slot is drying, you can spray its contacts and wipe with a paper towel. At the end, right before reinserting the graphics card, run your fingers down its contacts to ensure no dust remains from the paper towel on the leads.

Rectangle Font Electric blue Magenta Event

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its 6700 XT thats main GPU that did not work. The 3060 was different that I tested with, it worked first time but later when I installed it again it too stopped working. Second PCI slot that 710 and 6700 XT still work with is x4 or x8, its second of the two PCI-Es suiteable for a GPU. I sprayed inside main PCI-E slot with a electric duster too, I forgot mentioning that. The OS is fresh install so I am certain its not issue, and it boots just fine with 710 or 6700 XT in the second pci slot.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Its 6700 XT thats main GPU that did not work. The 3060 was different that I tested with, it worked first time but later when I installed it again it too stopped working. Second PCI slot that 710 and 6700 XT still work with is x4 or x8, its second of the two PCI-Es suiteable for a GPU. I sprayed inside main PCI-E slot with a electric duster too, I forgot mentioning that. The OS is fresh install so I am certain its not issue, and it boots just fine with 710 or 6700 XT in the second pci slot.
Not duster, contact cleaner.

Is the second slot wired through the chipset or up to the CPU?

Chipset is usually only x4, not x8

1 - 13 of 13 Posts