Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just started putting my gf's comp together, amd 550 be, and noticed one of the pins at the top part of the CPU is bent completely back...it won't sit completely flush. Should I return this, or bend it back? If I bend it back, what do you recommend using?

·
Banned
4,703 Posts
If not, get a credit card and some extreme care ready. It's doable, but be seriously careful and DO NOT try to bend it back unless Newegg say they can't deal with it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
i bend an unbend cpu pins all the time, of course they are on surplus cpu's that i dont use for everyday computing but i still have never had a pin break

i would suggest warming it up a bit with a soldering iron so it doesnt snap, but you have to be carefull not to overheat it

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
before i would, i would try this so you dont waste time with the RMA

take a credit card and slide through each row/column and carefully and lightly bend the pins straight...

Pins are CRUCIAL for ur cpu to function properly, however it has to be there. A lttle bend doesnt do anything as long as it can be bend back

If that doesnt work, u have nothing to lose, RMA it

·
Premium Member
7,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Chief
View Post

Return it.

Ive bent pins back but broke one one time... Not good.

I was tooo late to save that chip... You can always stick that pin into the socket lol that would work!! haha

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Well, i work on servers and we used to get replacement cpus that had bent pins sometimes and you really don't have to get them completely straight to work. Most of the time the pin is in one of the outside rows and if you carefully put that side in first, it will go in...... I have had some luck in bending pins back, but some of them have broken when doing it....seems like when it is not bent all the way down, it is fine. The ones i've seen that were bent all the way down... not so much....
Now, most of the time they are intel, so no more pins on the cpus..... but sometimes we get a bent pin (not sure you can really call it a pin) on the cpu socket on the motherboard and then, eh... sometimes u can make it work...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
They need to make pin free, No pins on the mobo no pins on the cpu. I wish they would make computer parts less breakable, but just like cars then you would never have to replace anything if stuff didn't break.

I hate plugging in the ATX power to my 750i so much bending and you have to push so hard I am always afraid of breaking the dang thing.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
can you guys use screws to replace push pins? Since i don't have no backplate but i have washers? Can it be done? PLEASE ANSWER ! nobody won't help and it's rude!

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcnuttie View Post
can you guys use screws to replace push pins? Since i don't have no backplate but i have washers? Can it be done? PLEASE ANSWER ! nobody won't help and it's rude!

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6 View Post
before i would, i would try this so you dont waste time with the RMA

take a credit card and slide through each row/column and carefully and lightly bend the pins straight...

Pins are CRUCIAL for ur cpu to function properly, however it has to be there. A lttle bend doesnt do anything as long as it can be bend back

If that doesnt work, u have nothing to lose, RMA it

If it came that way why the hell would you try to bend it back Youra. That is so stupid... If it breaks he is SOL and retailer may not do anything. Youra you continue to give bad advise(he does this a lot)... as usual..
RMA it OP.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts