Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Just shooting from the hip, but I would say that alcohol cools by evaporation. You need a liquid that facilitate heat transfer, not evaporate. I think you would have a pressure issue with any liquid with such a low boiling point.

EDIT: http://www.therminol.com/pages/products/xp.asp Try looking into something like this. Most likely too expensive for such use and certainly over kill.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
Well, let's stick to the obious. Liquid nitrogen....

·
Registered
391 Posts
water unless you have time and money to burn. Water is by far the best proven liquid to use that is easily obtainable and won't drain your wallet :lol

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kickassclone

water unless you have time and money to burn. Water is by far the best proven liquid to use that is easily obtainable and won't drain your wallet :lol

Distilled water?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

Distilled water?

distillation takes the minerals out of the water and is less corrosive over time. That is why you use it. Regular water will work by all means but it means more maintenance and headaches.

Make sure you always add some watter wetter or other anti-corrosive also. Mixing different metals such as copper and aluminum makes anti-corrosive agents even more important.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Yes, water is the best you are going to do without running a pressurized system. Even in our manufacturing environment where faster cooling = $$$ the only other cooling method we use is antifreeze with chillers so that you can go below 32F. Otherwise, we use the exact same materials and technologies.

·
Registered
965 Posts
What about that water you get from culligan?

More specifically "Eco water"
They bring us 4 5 gallon jugs every week or two, and we leave our old jugs on hte front porch.. Is this distilled water?

And is distilled water needed if you are gonna use 5% anti freeze?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee

They bring us 4 5 gallon jugs every week or two, and we leave our old jugs on hte front porch.. Is this distilled water?

It's filtered water, but not distilled. Probably better than using just straight tap water, but it's still going to have some of the minerals that cause corrosion in it. Distilled or De-ionized water should run about $1 a gallon or less at any grocery store.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee

Distilled water should be used no matter what additive you use. It has all of the minerals removed from the water, so it is pure H2O. I would strongly urge against the use of Anit-Freeze. Use Water wetter.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
^^ Everyone is correct, use distilled water. There might be some other substances that have a better heat transfer, but none of them would work well in a computer setup, plus they are much more expensive.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lando95

^^ Everyone is correct, use distilled water. There might be some other substances that have a better heat transfer, but none of them would work well in a computer setup, plus they are much more expensive.

This debate is settled
distilled equals .77 cents at Target for a gallon. This should not be a problem and if it is then something is very wrong.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I've heard of a lot of people using a distilled water and methanol (methly alcohol) mix. The water is water, and the methanol acts as a biocide and anti-freeze, as well it is more conduvctive than water so it helps I'd imagein. I'd probably go a 20-30% mathanol 80-70% distilled water in my WC setup (if/when I get it).

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

Yes, water is the best you are going to do without running a pressurized system. Even in our manufacturing environment where faster cooling = $$$ the only other cooling method we use is antifreeze with chillers so that you can go below 32F. Otherwise, we use the exact same materials and technologies.

Hey, I worked at some manufacturing job for a winter and I was a drill/tap ***** and some time on the mills. I must have drilled a couple thousand holes that winter. Anyways we had to use this blue coolant stuff to keep the drill bits and in-mill bits cool, it was actual coolant for that application and it came in 5 gallon buckets. That stuff would probably work well.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlazeR

Hey, I worked at some manufacturing job for a winter and I was a drill/tap ***** and some time on the mills. I must have drilled a couple thousand holes that winter. Anyways we had to use this blue coolant stuff to keep the drill bits and in-mill bits cool, it was actual coolant for that application and it came in 5 gallon buckets. That stuff would probably work well.

Was it added to water or used directly? Either way, the contents of most machining coolants is water and a soluble oil/lubricant to help maintain the cutting edge of the tools. When they heat up they can become either brittle or soft (annealed)...neither a good thing when cutting steel. The water helps deal with the heat and the lube helps deal with the friction. These fluids, since the lube is usually partly organic, do foster bacterial and fungal growth when used in recirculating setups with storage tanks so a PC setup would be no good, especially when increased ambient temps=incubator plus the delta-T properties are lower because of the oil. Just thought I would inform.

As it has been said, distilled water + water wetter designed for this application is best way to go.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

Was it added to water or used directly? Either way, the contents of most machining coolants is water and a soluble oil/lubricant to help maintain the cutting edge of the tools. When they heat up they can become either brittle or soft (annealed)...neither a good thing when cutting steel. The water helps deal with the heat and the lube helps deal with the friction. These fluids, since the lube is usually partly organic, do foster bacterial and fungal growth when used in recirculating setups with storage tanks so a PC setup would be no good, especially when increased ambient temps=incubator plus the delta-T properties are lower because of the oil. Just thought I would inform.

As it has been said, distilled water + water wetter designed for this application is best way to go.

Well said, dont use that stuff

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plague

for your alchohal idea, copper + corrusive liquids = bad times

You know what, I did not even think of that. I should be ashamed since I did take an Alternate Fuels class and deal with changing all the components so that the alcohols dont corrode components. I think the alcohol idea sprung up late night when I was thinkin about how they cool superchargers by injecting rubbing alcohol.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts