Quote:

Originally Posted by thealex132
View Post

If money is really no object at all;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145304
But its just overpriced and these will do you just fine;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145314

IMO, stay with your G.Skill and overclock them

I don't really like either of the modules you linked, mostly because 8GB is really not practical for 90% of people right now and just puts stress on your IMC. The Dominators are very overpriced also, 8-8-8-24 timings for that price? I don't think so.

Stick with your G.Skills. If you absolutely need to upgrade get G.Skill Pi's or get Mushkins.

·
✾ ✿ ❀ ❁
8,398 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp27
View Post

^ i was gnna buy those but i thought SB can;'t do 1.65v dram

I'm very sure it can, if not then just down the voltage to 1.5v. I am almost positive you can keep the RAM's default settings at 1.5

·
Registered
669 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thealex132
View Post

I'm very sure it can, if not then just down the voltage to 1.5v. I am almost positive you can keep the RAM's default settings at 1.5

No, you would have to lower the frequency or loosen the timings to run at 1.5v.

You can go 1.65v on Sandy Bridge, just like lsdmeasap said. I wouldn't worry about that. He knows what he is talking about.
Just get some decent modules that have good timings.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

·
Banned
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat_ownage;12023583
mine are pretty low voltage you should get some
lovo-1.jpg
is that gskill?

plus its not sandy bridge wont it be differnt

·
Registered
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp27;12026260
is that gskill?

plus its not sandy bridge wont it be differnt
No, Sandy Bridge still uses the same RAM that 1366 did. The only difference is that Intel wants you to use 1.5v RAM now instead of 1.65v which was sort of the standard previously.

·
Registered
937 Posts
If you want a good all-arounder, this 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 2000 (9-10-9-27) set is probably a good choice. 4GB modules so you only have to populate 1 memory channel, decent timings, and high bandwidth.

1866%209-10-9-27%208GB.jpg

EDIT: Just went and picked these Corsairs up for myself actually. This is completely unoptimized. I'll update this again when I try them at 2133 and then I'll let you know how low I'm able to drop the voltage. But right now I gotta go! Is it a big deal that it's running at 2T?

If all you want is 4GB, then something like this 2x2GB Mushkin Ridgeback DDR3 1600 (6-8-6-24) would be a good way to go - and it's affordable too - $75 when it's in stock!

Here's the MaxMemm result I got:
6-8-6-24%204GB.jpg

·
Registered
191 Posts
Think i need to write this in notepad and just copy and paste from now on

But honestly, Sandy bridge WILL work with 1.65v ram. However long term reliability of the parts decreases. You might find your parts wear out within 3-5 years instead of them lasting 10 years.

Whats the max voltage people are recommended for the sandy bridge processors? For arguments sake let's just say people were saying do not exceed 1.38 volts. Although the cpu will work and is rated for up to say, 1.5 volts max, doing so will wreck the cpu fairly quickly.

But hey, if you have the cash and upgrade every 2-3 years, then 1.65v ram should be fine

·
Registered
937 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by starpwnage
View Post

But hey, if you have the cash and upgrade every 2-3 years, then 1.65v ram should be fine

Most 1.65v RAM will run at its' rated speed with much lower voltage. My mushkins will run at 1.56v and I haven't tried going any lower.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts