Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the CM Nepton 120XL and the Corsair H75.

They come with 2 fans included in the box so that's a plus for me.

Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The performance difference between them shouldn't be too drastic. I would probably get whichever has the thickest radiator. That will give you a bit of extra turbulence noise, but greater surface area and mass to dissipate the heat. Just off the top of my head, I think the Nepton and the NZXT Kranken are on the thicker side.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
What TK421 and ciarlatano said.
thumb.gif

May I ask why you are going CLC and not using a good air cooler?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantik3 View Post

Well the only reason for 120 CLC should be limited space in the case
I have yet to see a case that can fit a 120mm CLC, and not a Cryorig C7/Noctua NH-L12/Thermalright AXP-100 or the like. 120mm CLCs are an absurdist product segment.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
Quote:

They fit allright but they all seem to have lower TDP ratings than for example the Nepton 120XL that op asked( and probably other CLCs) so if you plan to OC maybe they are not enough.
It is only the pump noise that matters after that (cause the fan noise can be fixed).
Several of the smaller air coolers are easilyas hgh TDP as 120mm CLCs.
Guess you haven't used CLCs. Fan / airflow through radiator is the noise issue most have.
Pump noise is only a small part of it. Radiator fan is biggest noise problem under heavy load.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have only used one. I own the seidon 120v(very low end CLC).But i dont have much reference when it comes to noise and I use headphones so I can't really tell. It is more noisy than the aircoolers for sure. The only reason i said pump is main sound problem is because you can change the fans and get some GT or Vardars or whatever you think is best for radiator use.
And I am ocing only when benching and in that case I dont care about noise, everything is full speed ahead, fans at max etc..it's all about performance then.
Besides in my small elite 110 case those low profile coolers would be sitting/ touching the bottom side of my PSU hardly getting any air that's why i think in some special cases there is place for these CLCs

To the OP: If we are talking about the case in your sig you can find sth better than a 120 CLC. If i had to choose though between the two you suggested I would go for the nepton

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
Quote:

I have only used one. I own the seidon 120v(very low end CLC).But i dont have much reference when it comes to noise and] I use headphones so I can't really tell. It is more noisy than the aircoolers for sure. The only reason i said pump is main sound problem is because you can change the fans and get some GT or Vardars or whatever you think is best for radiator use.
And I am ocing only when benching and in that case I dont care about noise, everything is full speed ahead, fans at max etc..it's all about performance then.
Besides in my small elite 110 case those low profile coolers would be sitting/ touching the bottom side of my PSU hardly getting any air that's why i think in some special cases there is place for these CLCs

To the OP: If we are talking about the system in your sig you can find sth better than a 120 CLC
Lowering fan speed lowers TDP.
buttkick.gif
biggrin.gif

Even running Vardar or GT fans, CLC radiators depend on lots of airflow to make up for their low performance. Run fans fast to give lots of airflow and you have more noise.
I understand your OC for benching. I use very high CFM fans that scream when benching, but are near silent the rest of the time.
thumb.gif

Those 'special' case are rare and designed for CLC use are the devils work .. just like CLCs are.
tongue.gif

All it takes is using a case with decent airflow design .. which 'special' cases are not. These 'special' cases

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,201 Posts
Quote:

It is only the pump noise that matters after that (cause the fan noise can be fixed).
Actually.....it can't. Because, you know.....the laws of physics.

CLCs use high fpi aluminum rads, because it is far cheaper than using copper. Aluminum is not particularly efficient at dissipating heat. High fpi requires more air pressure to function effectively. Put it all together....and you have a unit that is designed to only function with any efficiency with high speed fans (which is why all CLCs come with them). You can't "fix" it. It makes little difference what fan you use in terms of noise/performance. The noise generated by the air passing through the dense rad far outweighs the sound of the fan, itself. So, regardless of which fan is pushing the air through the rad, the noise remains almost constant at like performance levels.

·
Never Finished
2,314 Posts
Well, my H80i GT performs better than the Nepton 280L I had when throwing on some deltas
tongue.gif
Yeah, they're like 14.5mmh2o, but the fact that a 120mm rad has the ability to perform better than something much larger is awesome since I did not have the space for a large heatsink or 240+ rad in my case. I believe someone is selling their RMA replacement H80i GT in the OCN marketplace still.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,301 Posts
The H80i GT is among the loudest in terms of air turbulence, no? The rad is very thick and FPI is high (iirc) than previous units.

·
Never Finished
2,314 Posts
I don't hear turbulence...just fan. The fans typically idle around 800rpm (near silent), and when adjusting the fan speeds in Asus FanXpert, I only hear the fans spin up and ramp down. If I heard any turbulence I would have refunded the AIO or done some weird ghetto rigging to get mitigate it
tongue.gif

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airisom2 View Post

I don't hear turbulence...just fan. The fans typically idle around 800rpm (near silent), and when adjusting the fan speeds in Asus FanXpert, I only hear the fans spin up and ramp down. If I heard any turbulence I would have refunded the AIO or done some weird ghetto rigging to get mitigate it
tongue.gif
Allllllllllrighty, then.......... A magic radiator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered an arctic cooling liquid freezer 120 AIO, which is a 49mm rad with 2 fans. Will post some results here
smile.gif

Atleast according to Hardocp it's a really good and silent AIO cooler

·
Never Finished
2,314 Posts
The only airlfow turbulence that I've ever heard was whenever I strapped a third fan on a dual tower (My PHTC14PE) or a second fan on single tower heatsink (U14S). It causes a high pitch sssss sound. I have an idea of what turbulence sounds like, and I don't hear it at all with my H80i GT.

EDIT: Maybe I should add that I have rubber gaskets on both sides of the rad.

·
Registered
363 Posts
i am currently using the liqmax II 120mm. It does the job, and can do low-mid overclocks without temps getting out of hand. The location o have it placed with push/pull fans leaves me with very little clearance, and putting it in the case required some strange orders of adding/removing stuff.

the fans on it come with 3 settings, and so far i have only had to run it on the low settings, even when OC'd, and at that speed they are near silent. (the higher speeds are not so much)

When i set the fan settings on my graphics card to 80% while gaming to keep them a bit cooler and very slightly OC'd causes them to make about 20x more noise than my cpu cooler. 20x may actually be an understatement, they are loud af.

the liqtech 120 is a little nicer looking, and a little higher end.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I forgot to mention I need the AIO cause am building in a tiny mini-itx case with no room for a beefy air cooler, my choices are very limited by this case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts