Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I recently ordered a Slipstream 800 RPM for my side panel intake. I'm gonna order another one or two, was wondering what the best (readily available!) 120mm fan is? In terms of performance/noise ratio. I could try the higher RPM slipstreams, but maybe there's better options.

·
Retired Reviewer
10,099 Posts
For case fans I use pretty much only Gentle Typhoons of various rpm's. Slip Streams are also good for case fan work. However, make sure their airflow points sideways or down. Same with Yate Loons, since they are also sleeve bearing fans. Also, you will need to lubricate them before to put them to work, and periodically thereafter.

If you buy Yate Loon fans, buy them only from Petra's Tech Shop (long story), here.

To get some idea of how various 120x25mm fans perform, check out item 1 in my sig.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
The best 120mm fans without regard to price are Scythe (Nidec) Gentle Typhoons. These are long-life ball bearing fans with a unique noise characteristic that makes them sound quieter than other fans running at the same RPM. They also have excellent static pressure and are constructed very well.

I compared my Gentle Typhoon AP-15 and S-Flex SFF21G to see how they differed in terms of noise. Even though the S-Flex has long been a very well-regarded fan in the enthusiast community, the SFF21G had to be run at ~1400 RPM to match the noise level of an AP-15 at full speed (1850 RPM). That's how good the Gentle Typhoons are.

With price in mind, Yate Loon's 120mm sleeve bearing fans are quite good for a budget option. Just be sure to NOT mount them horizontally as exhaust fans in the top of the case (as with all sleeve-bearing fans).

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Budget isn't much of a concern, as long as its not something ridiculous like $25-30. The Gentle Typhoons were an obvious choice, but they're not in stock anywhere

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TMallory
View Post

Budget isn't much of a concern, as long as its not something ridiculous like $25-30. The Gentle Typhoons were an obvious choice, but they're not in stock anywhere

Plenty of them in stock here:

http://www.aquatuning.us/product_inf...20x25mm--.html

Shipping is a little expensive unless you spend over $75, but either way it works out to about $20-25 per fan since their starting prices (before shipping) are rather low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts