Overclock.net banner

Best 26" Full HD 24p monitor?

3004 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  StrongmanSal
Hi all,

I've been looking at upgrading my Samsung monitor to the 26" version (the Samsung Syncmaster T260HD).

It has everything I want, but I read reviews that it doesn't handle 24fps input/playback correctly, which causes juddering during Blu Ray playback.

I am going to be using the monitor that I buy as:

1st HDMI input:
General PC use. (HDMI input)
Watching Blu-ray.(HDMI input)
Gaming.(HDMI input)

2nd HDMI input:
Using it to watch TV through a freeview/digital box input (HDMI input I guess)

Can anyone point me to some monitors that have all the below features (or better), as well being able to handle 24fps playback for blu ray:

5 ms, VGA, DVI, HDMI x 2, Component / YUV, Scart, Loudspeakers, Freeview tuner

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS:
Display Screen Size: 26" Widescreen
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Brightness: 300cd/m²
Contrast Ratio: DC 10000:1 (1000:1)
Response time: 5ms
Viewing Angle (Horizontal/Vertical): 170˚/150˚
Colour supported:16.7M
Video Signal: Analog RGB, DVI, HDMI, Component , TV (Digital TV / Analog TV)
Sync. Signal: Separate H / V, Composite
Connector: 15pin D-sub, DVI-D, 2HDMI, Component, DTV Tuner, Optical Out, Scart, Cl Slot
Power Power Consumption: 70W (Max.)
Standby Power (DPMS) < 2W
Features: Plug & Play DDC2B
Multimedia Speakers: 3W x 2Ch (SRS TruSurround XT)
Special Features: Built-in DTV(DVB) Tuner, Sound: SRS TruSurround XT. Optical digital sound (SPDIF). Component, HDMIX2, Supporting 1080P Input, CI Slot

Im not too bothered about the built in DTV(DVB) Tuner. I can just get a separate one.

Any help much appreciated.
See less See more
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
can anyone help me out with this please? I have a Samsung T260HD on order, but after reading some bad reviews I might change my mind.
That should actually work well for what you want, I barely ever hear anything bad about Samsung's monitors.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunky_Chimp View Post
That should actually work well for what you want, I barely ever hear anything bad about Samsung's monitors.
Thats what I thought. But I read reviews saying that the screen judders during blu-ray playback because it doesn't support 24 fps / 24p (or whatever its called!) properly!
See less See more
Hmm.. This is the exact monitor that I plan to buy when I come across some money. Just about the sexiest monitor for the price right now. I haven't read anything bad about that. Now, is this 24fps playback review coming from one single person, or multiple people on several different sites stating this?? You never know, maybe the person who wrote that review has a lower-end computer. Just a thought.
I have never had any issues with my t260, I have watched several blu rays on it to. As far as the 24FPS thing I dunno as I watch them through WINDVD, but I can tell you the T260 is one heck on a monitor.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpmad4it View Post
Thats what I thought. But I read reviews saying that the screen judders during blu-ray playback because it doesn't support 24 fps / 24p (or whatever its called!) properly!
If this is your only concern... stop worrying and get the monitor. 24p does not exist, a blu-ray would be 1920x1080 also known as 1080p (progressive scan).

24fps is simply the rate movies are filmed at, and as far as I'm concerned is a moot point. This monitor is 60hz, as are the vast majority of televisions. You aren't going to find any consumer television or monitor that run's a refresh rate equal to that of film framerate - and honestly I'm not sure why you would. As an LCD it would still hold the frames and make it appear to stutter significantly, simply put 24hz would be terrible.

Either way, I'm not really sure what you're concerned about - this is probably just some review from a confused user who, really, has no idea what he/she is talking about.
See less See more
  • Rep+
Reactions: 1
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_hax View Post
If this is your only concern... stop worrying and get the monitor. 24p does not exist, a blu-ray would be 1920x1080 also known as 1080p (progressive scan).

24fps is simply the rate movies are filmed at, and as far as I'm concerned is a moot point. This monitor is 60hz, as are the vast majority of televisions. You aren't going to find any consumer television or monitor that run's a refresh rate equal to that of film framerate - and honestly I'm not sure why you would. As an LCD it would still hold the frames and make it appear to stutter significantly, simply put 24hz would be terrible.

Either way, I'm not really sure what you're concerned about - this is probably just some review from a confused user who, really, has no idea what he/she is talking about.

Yep, like me! Thats why i cam here to get the record straight (thank you!)

I think I will stick with my order!
See less See more
the 24p thing u are talking about is comparing to the refresh rate, cuz 60/24 isn't a whole number
that's why there is that 120hz / 24 = 5; a whole number

i'm just pulling this out my ass from reading about it long ago

only true 120hz is samsung 22" and viewsonic 22"
Quote:

Originally Posted by getbigtony View Post
the 24p thing u are talking about is comparing to the refresh rate, cuz 60/24 isn't a whole number
that's why there is that 120hz / 24 = 5; a whole number

i'm just pulling this out my ass from reading about it long ago

only true 120hz is samsung 22" and viewsonic 22"
thanks for the info!
See less See more
out of curiosity, what is the major difference between the T260 and the T260HD versions? and which would best suit my needs (as outlined in my first post)
If I recall correctly the only difference is the HD variant has a TV tuner, remote, more input options, and speakers. This comes with the downside of increased input lag, so the HD version is not a great gaming choice.

Otherwise, they are the exact same monitor.
Does it work the opposite way around too i.e. the T260 doesnt make a great movie playing monitor via blu ray (through a blu ray SATA drive)?

I'm guessing if I did get a T260 I could use an external TV tuner / digital box and plug it in via SCART or HDMI?
The T260 will work fine - it just doesn't have those extra inputs. It you're only using a PC input and not the built in features (tuner/speakers) then I would save some cash & input lag and skip the HD version. T260 will be fine for that.

The only reason I would get the T260HD is if I wanted it to double as a television...
Quote:


Originally Posted by i_hax
View Post

The T260 will work fine - it just doesn't have those extra inputs. It you're only using a PC input and not the built in features (tuner/speakers) then I would save some cash & input lag and skip the HD version. T260 will be fine for that.

The only reason I would get the T260HD is if I wanted it to double as a television...

I've gone for the T260HD. Sod the double contrast ratio its a load of rubbish anyway, and thats the only improvement over the HD
See less See more
I personally think viewsonic has pretty awesome monitors
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top