Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im upgrading to a socket 775 mobo. i currently have an ECS G41T-M5and am looking for a good cpu. my main needs are to run seti in the background, general web surfing, and game wise i want to be able to play COD Modern Warfare 1. im doing this on a budget and need to find out how much to save up for it.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbudden
View Post

Intel Q6600. Can be had on here for around 100$. Quad Core. Nuff said.

I disagree. I think a Core 2 Duo e8400 is a better deal.

Most games don't use all four cores yet; Modern Warfare is one of those games. You won't see any extra benefit going from a dual core to a quad core.

Furthermore, the e8400 is based on the 45nm architecture, while the Q6600 is based on the 65nm architecture. With respect to dual-core gaming (which again is what MW is), the e8400 is the superior CPU. It will outperform the Q6600 in your games.

You can usually find a used one for ~$100. I managed to find one for $75 four months ago.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do want to do some minor ocing as well. not trying to double the Ghz, but add like 25% would be nice.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
I don't think you'd be able to. That ECS G41 motherboard is pretty horrible for overclocking.

In either case, the 45nms are the better overclockers, so the e8400 would be the better choice there as well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
with my socket A gigabyte board, i can change the clock multiplier on the board itself, am i able to with the ecs

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibz117 View Post
with my socket A gigabyte board, i can change the clock multiplier on the board itself, am i able to with the ecs
Multi is locked on the cpu and can't be changed by the motherboard. Unless it is an unlocked(intel) or black edition(amd) cpu.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
dang. i was hoping i could

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gibz117 View Post
First, the CPU multiplier is locked on all non-extreme editions (with some exceptions, but they're not sold in the US with the Core 2 Duo architecture).

Second, ECS' motherboards are made from subpar components. Not only is their BIOS crippled and lacking OC options, but their parts won't be able to withstand any decent overclock. Additionally, the G41 chipset itself isn't great for overclocking. I'd recommend looking at P43 and P45 boards. You can usually find a Gigabyte EP45-UD3L for cheap, and that board pushed my e8500 to 4.2 GHz.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Go with an E8400, if you must have a Quad, then a Q9450. I wouldn't go for a Q6600, 65nm is old tech at this point.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by levontraut
View Post

i am led to say to go the q6000 route. it is futur proof and depending on what OS you run it will use all 4 cores and some games actualy use them. cod4 does sometimes or the os makes use of them to do load ballancing.

COD4 does not support quad cores. It's impossible for it to "sometimes" properly use all four cores.

And the Q6600 isn't futureproof; it's old 65nm tech that's already outdated by the newer 45nm tech, which itself is going to be outdated in a few months by 32nm tech.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by levontraut
View Post

btw. i went from dual core to quad core and there was a huge diffrence so go quad dude. you will not regret it

Which dual core? If you're talking from an e6xxx to your Q9650, then of course, because you're benefitting from the 45nm architecture and not the extra cores if all you're doing is playing COD4.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts