Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the best AGP card that is available today. I also assume that the next gen cards that will be coming will mostly likely be PCIe only so this will probably be my last upgrade before a new machine.

I will be getting a new machine in about 6 - 7 months so this will just hold me over till then. What I want is to be able to play HL2 and CS:S without lag anymore. I was looking at either the x850XT or the 6800 ultra (GT if I cant find the ultra). I would assume x850XT would be better for HL2 and CS:S, but then my friend starting tell me how the 6800 has Pixel Shader 3 and what not. So which would be better?

Also, I have a 2.4 GHz Northwood P4, Intel D850EMV2 mobo, 768 RDRAM. Will I see a lot of bottleneck and hardly any performance gain because of the rest of my system? Right now I have a 5900XT and getting about 20 - 40 FPS depending on the map and stuff in CS:S.

·
Registered
764 Posts
well basically get the 6800 because the drivers are easier and more available causing less hassle and generally the graphics are more refined and yes the shading and lighting in my exp is always better on a Nvidia

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
The best AGP graphics card for my mind would be this..X850Xt PE straight off the shelf for US$405 yes it is expensive but..

cheers..
and be happy not mad !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Only the 6800GS has pixel shader v3, and it's equivelent to a X850Pro performance wise. Both Nvidia and ATI make good cards, the _actual_ difference between them is not much. It's really upto you, I suggest buying a card from a company that you've purchased from before if you have no other ideas. the run down, for the -$200 range you can get either a X850pro (which you MIGHT be able to mod into a X850XTPE) or a 6800GS. For 300-ish grabe a X850XL if you can find one, or a 6800GT. and for 400, either a 6800ultra or a X850XTPE. From the majority of benchmarks i've seen, Nvidia is usually faster in the begining, but has better performace under the stress of AF and AA, etc.

·
Banned
1 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Worldestroyer

For 300-ish grabe a X850XL

I don't think there is a x850xl. There is a x800xl though

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
i just thought about the same question. My local pc shop gave me 2 options. A 6800GS and a x850xt pe, at 20$ difference. The 6800GS at 280$ and the x850xt at 300$. I definetly bought the x850xt pe. i havent recieved it yet, but, clock speeds are much faster and it runs 16 pixel pipelines, which cant be compared to a 12 pixel pipeline card; except in OpenGL.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
the x850xtpe is much faster than the 6800gs agp. also i dont know how the ati drivers are more difficult than nvidia's dozens of options. you should be happy with that card for 6-7 ,months.

·
Banned
5,844 Posts
maximum pc pited these cards up against each other. and they picked the 6800gt over the x850xt hands down its cheaper and only a few FPS slower nothing youll even notice unless you love to brag about benches. Plus it has SM3 which ppl dont give credit for but it does infact smooth out graphics. so my personal opinion based on the facts put out there is get the 6800gt or even the gs since there not far off

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is better, 6800GT or GS? I look no Newegg and there are like 5 or 6 6800 cards, lol. I prefer NVidia personally, but everyone points to ATI for HL2 and Source. When will the 7800GS be out with AGP?

I am trying to buy what is available at BestBuy because I got $100 gift card there, but if someone can find the card 100 bucks cheapers online, why then it evens out and I don't care.

BFG's website says they still carry the 6800 Ultra, but finding it online cheap is the problem. I would love to get a 7800 or an x1xxx series but PCIe only

Also, no one helped me out yet with the issue of my CPU and memory, will a video card not help much or is my machine sufficient?

·
Registered
415 Posts
fastest AGP card is either X850XT PE or a 6800 ultra..mine has stock OCing available to 440/1210..on an intel system in 3dmark05 it scored 5970, not too shabby

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wsfrazier

What is better, 6800GT or GS? I look no Newegg and there are like 5 or 6 6800 cards, lol. I prefer NVidia personally

Well...the GS is alot cheaper...it has higher clock speeds and 4 fewer pipelines which make it cheaper. But for OCers, you could probably boost a GT up to the same as GS clock speeds (alternatively with after market cooling too
) with 4 MORE pipelines..but here in norway i cant find any GTs for AGP anymore...but im getting a x850xtpe ;D (300$!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts