Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently got a Cryorig H7 cooling a delided 6700 @ 1.375v. Got four DIMMS installed and don't want to sell and rebuy a 2x8 kit just to get a better cooler. Any recommendations as an upgrade?

Really don't want an AIO but it's looking like my best option at the moment.

Really wish I didn't buy my P400S, temps went up dramatically compared to my old Arc Midi R2 :sad-smile

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts
depending how tall your ram is, Noctua nh-d15s it allows for 65mm tall ram

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
Currently got a Cryorig H7 cooling a delided 6700 @ 1.375v. Got four DIMMS installed and don't want to sell and rebuy a 2x8 kit just to get a better cooler. Any recommendations as an upgrade?

Really don't want an AIO but it's looking like my best option at the moment.

Really wish I didn't buy my P400S, temps went up dramatically compared to my old Arc Midi R2 :sad-smile
Maybe figure out if it's cooler problem or case not supplying cooler with cool air it needs. 2nd post in 'Ways to better Cooling' linked in my sig shows what I use to monitor air temp. 5th post is good guide to optimizing case airflow.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe figure out if it's cooler problem or case not supplying cooler with cool air it needs. 2nd post in 'Ways to better Cooling' linked in my sig shows what I use to monitor air temp. 5th post is good guide to optimizing case airflow.
it's definitely the case. when I take the front panel off completely, temps drop ~10c on both the CPU and GPU. the front panel of the P400S is poo poo.

depending how tall your ram is, Noctua nh-d15s it allows for 65mm tall ram
My RAM is only 36/38mm tall. Corsair LPX and GeIL Dragon. LPX is 1-2mm taller than the GeIL.

Seen that heatsink but figured it'd block first slot based off how huge it is. Guess not since the fan is in the middle? Might grab that then.

What do you think about Thermalright Le Grand Macho Rt?

Inviato da mTalk
I'll look into it. :D

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
Okay, then first thing I would do is move rear exhaust to front so there are 2x front intake and block off all holes not covered by the 2x fans in the fan mounting panel with some tape so air cannot leak from inside of case back in front of fan monting panel. Try that with and without front on and see what you get.

I haven't built a system in last year or more that has any exhaust fans in the case .. only intake fans. ;)

·
Gamer
1,244 Posts
Its the unfortunate trend of PC cases, form over function. If you're handy and have a good selection of tools, you could always mod your front panel. Add some extra ventilation.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Why not change the case ? You’ll take a loss or break even selling it, but a case with better air flow AND upgrading your cooler from the h7 eventually.... gonna be super chill bruh ;p

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
P400 works just fine when setup properly. Sure, it's not as good as some but it isn't as bad as others.

Most stock case fan setups don't have enough airflow. For example if we use a CPU cooler with 120mm fan and a GPU with 2x (or 3x) 92mm fans we need a case that has 2x 140mm or 3x 120mm intake fans with at least matching exhaust fans, (I prefer)1.5x as much exhaust vent area without exhaust fans.

Case airflow has to be greater than component airflow. If it is not the components have to re-use their own heated air .. and every degree warmer the air going into working component cooler is translated into about a degree hotter that working component will be.

P400 has 1x 120mm intake, so that is about right for just the CPU cooler .. with no cool airflow for GPU cooler. So of course they heat up when both are working. ;)

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,214 Posts
If you can get enough air into the case, the be quiet! Dark Rock TF will do the job for you. Cools on par with an NH-D15S when given proper intake, will fit in your case and won't impede on the RAM slot unless you are running absurd looking RAM.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up ordering the Thermalright Le Grand Macho. It came in today and installation was an absolute nightmare but temps are better. ~5c cooler at idle and ~12c at load. Temps are about in-line with what I had with my H7 and old Arc Midi case, so I'm happy :)

Definitely need a new case but going to hold off until I upgrade the rest of my system for that. Just got the P400 and don't want to ditch it so soon. :eek:

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. Ended up ordering the Thermalright Le Grand Macho. It came in today and installation was an absolute nightmare but temps are better. ~5c cooler at idle and ~12c at load. Temps are about in-line with what I had with my H7 and old Arc Midi case, so I'm happy :)

Definitely need a new case but going to hold off until I upgrade the rest of my system for that. Just got the P400 and don't want to ditch it so soon. :eek:
I'm working on a project of some very simple and low-cost pieces to space the front of P400 out 5-8mm with 4 little pieces that clip onto case's front cover pins and into case front latches and magnetic mounting fitler/s for fans.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm working on a project of some very simple and low-cost pieces to space the front of P400 out 5-8mm with 4 little pieces that clip onto case's front cover pins and into case front latches and magnetic mounting fitler/s for fans.
so just a gap between the front panel and the case? don't think that'd look too great IMO. light shine would look pretty bad and showing the frame of the case is why I don't run it with the front panel off to begin with :p

I had to ditch my rear exhaust fan to fit the new cooler and I threw the two fans I had on my H7 to top intakes. Dropped down to 59c max during ~hour game play of CS:GO. With my old H7 and fan layout I was hitting low 80s so I'm pretty happy.

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
so just a gap between the front panel and the case? don't think that'd look too great IMO. light shine would look pretty bad and showing the frame of the case is why I don't run it with the front panel off to begin with :p

I had to ditch my rear exhaust fan to fit the new cooler and I threw the two fans I had on my H7 to top intakes. Dropped down to 59c max during ~hour game play of CS:GO. With my old H7 and fan layout I was hitting low 80s so I'm pretty happy.
I'm talking a small gap like is many glass paneled fronts have .. 4-8mm is not very wide .. 6.35mm is 1/4 inch.

Your using top intakes is a perfect example of how hard it is to guess how airflow will work .. and why I often tell people to experiment to find out what will work best (probably not as often as I should):eek:, especially if their intake air temps are high. Did it lower your GPU temps as well? Le Grand Macho RT has one of the biggest fin pack areas, maybe the biggest out there. And with 7x 6mm heatpipes it's only 1 heatpipe less than the most.

I assume this is your sig rig? Some nice audio equipment. Are you using motherboard audio? I'm using Asus Xonar w/ Klipsch Pro Media Ultra & Sennheiser HD 414

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm talking a small gap like is many glass paneled fronts have .. 4-8mm is not very wide .. 6.35mm is 1/4 inch.

Your using top intakes is a perfect example of how hard it is to guess how airflow will work .. and why I often tell people to experiment to find out what will work best (probably not as often as I should):eek:, especially if their intake air temps are high. Did it lower your GPU temps as well? Le Grand Macho RT has one of the biggest fin pack areas, maybe the biggest out there. And with 7x 6mm heatpipes it's only 1 heatpipe less than the most.

I assume this is your sig rig? Some nice audio equipment. Are you using motherboard audio? I'm using Asus Xonar w/ Klipsch Pro Media Ultra & Sennheiser HD 414
That might not look so bad then but if the gap is that small I wonder if it'd really be all that beneficial?

GPU temps are about the same. They're not bad, just warmer than my old case.

And yeah, onboard audio. It's a mismatched setup but it sounds nice. I got the speakers for free and the sub scratch and dent for relatively cheap when my old Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s died on me. I really need a replacement to the Lepai and throw in a DAC or a sound card but I dunno what to get. :eek: I usually just use my SHP9500s and without some fiddling with the EQ it sounds a bit tinny with onboard but I'm pretty clueless about audio equipment. I'm leaning toward getting a sound card for simplicities sake but from what I understand something external will sound better...

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
That might not look so bad then but if the gap is that small I wonder if it'd really be all that beneficial?

GPU temps are about the same. They're not bad, just warmer than my old case.

And yeah, onboard audio. It's a mismatched setup but it sounds nice. I got the speakers for free and the sub scratch and dent for relatively cheap when my old Klipsch Pro Media 2.1s died on me. I really need a replacement to the Lepai and throw in a DAC or a sound card but I dunno what to get. :eek: I usually just use my SHP9500s and without some fiddling with the EQ it sounds a bit tinny with onboard but I'm pretty clueless about audio equipment. I'm leaning toward getting a sound card for simplicities sake but from what I understand something external will sound better...
Well, it's the kind of gap Evolv ATX uses for it's front vent .. and the same as many new glass front panel cases have. While it's not great all by itself, add it to the existing top and bottom venting on P400 and it give case way more than twice as much front vent area.

There used to be a guy in USA on ebay who rebuilt Klipsch ProMedia amps. He did mine many years ago when it went out. I have a near new ProMedia 2.1 setting in the closet that I used while he was rebuilding my amp. I'm not up to date on audio cards or options for them. Only external I've used is Asus Xonar U7 I used on a notebook for awhile. It seemed to give good clean sound to both speakers and headphones, but not a lot of headphone power.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, it's the kind of gap Evolv ATX uses for it's front vent .. and the same as many new glass front panel cases have. While it's not great all by itself, add it to the existing top and bottom venting on P400 and it give case way more than twice as much front vent area.

There used to be a guy in USA on ebay who rebuilt Klipsch ProMedia amps. He did mine many years ago when it went out. I have a near new ProMedia 2.1 setting in the closet that I used while he was rebuilding my amp. I'm not up to date on audio cards or options for them. Only external I've used is Asus Xonar U7 I used on a notebook for awhile. It seemed to give good clean sound to both speakers and headphones, but not a lot of headphone power.
I bought my ProMedia 2.1s on eBay yeeeeeeeears ago (~2008?) refurb. Wonder if its the same guy :D

My SHP9500s aren't very difficult to drive @ 32ohms, that's why I'm tempted to just stick with what I have. It doesn't sound bad, but if I could do my purchase again I'd probably spend a bit more and go with something like the ATH-M50x. The SHP9500s were the first open pair of headphones I've owned and they're great for music but for gaming they leave a bit to be desired in the bass department.

·
Premium Member
27,140 Posts
I bought my ProMedia 2.1s on eBay yeeeeeeeears ago (~2008?) refurb. Wonder if its the same guy :D

My SHP9500s aren't very difficult to drive @ 32ohms, that's why I'm tempted to just stick with what I have. It doesn't sound bad, but if I could do my purchase again I'd probably spend a bit more and go with something like the ATH-M50x. The SHP9500s were the first open pair of headphones I've owned and they're great for music but for gaming they leave a bit to be desired in the bass department.
Guy that did the amp rebuilds only did amps sent in to him by owners of systems. He did not sell complete ProMedia systems.

I got my Sennheiser HD 414 way back in the seventies and are 600 ohm. The first ones were 2000 ohm, then 600 ohm and the 1995 50th anniversary were 52 ohm I have had to replace the foam several times over the years. They quick making them years ago but still have ear buds and cables. Their are usually some on ebay but they are not cheap .. like $110-150 .. frequency response is 8-21000 Hz, 0.9 THD and they originally cost $30, with inflation that would be about $165, so I guess the ebay pricing is about right. :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts