Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno.... I've been wanting to get my hands on an acryclic case... but this is what i want in general. A case that is big enough to fit a decent liquid cooling system in with no problem. But i want it to be Mid-tower preferrably. Something easily moddable... Help?

• Rep+
Reactions: Chr0niKaL

·
Some call me... Bifford
5,265 Posts
Acryclics look cool, but can be difficult to mod, if you don't have the right equipment. I have a Coolermaster case that I really enjoy. I have a thermaltake case at work that isn't bad either. However, Lian Li is supposed to make the best cases. I can't afford one so I have no first hand knowledge of them.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Lian-Li cases are second to none when it comes to quality and stability. But they are pricey. I think you're going to have a hell of a time fitting water-cooling into any mid-tower so a full tower might be your only option. I love my PC-71.... but it also cost me almost $200... so it's not for everyone

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
A mid tower that can house a water cooling kit... Ummm

Ok here ya go...

Akasa Eclipse-62 - Hexus.net Review
You may have to search in the USA for Sav-Row Blackbird instead... Its the same case. Here in UK its sold under Akasa.

Also this case costs £80 so its very reasonable in price.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

Lian-Li cases are second to none when it comes to quality and stability. But they are pricey. I think you're going to have a hell of a time fitting water-cooling into any mid-tower so a full tower might be your only option. I love my PC-71.... but it also cost me almost $200... so it's not for everyone

stability?

as in it tipping over? Or the computer being stable?

I can run no case and be 100% stable!

anyways, this is the case I'l be using
http://www.coolerexpress.com/clearacatxca.html

VERY cheap, nice if you like acrylic.. Doubt you can fit a full water cooling setup inside... However I'l personally be sticking the radiator and probably the pump outside the case...

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...170-001&DEPA=0
nice psu to go along also.. i'v found over 4 reviews on it and there all VERY promising.. all showing almost perfect voltages without changing..
Actually, if I remmeber right, 3 of the tests showed the 3.3v and 5v lines staying the same under load and idle, along with the 12v line chaning like .1v...

That is, if you go the acrylic route

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Stability???

does it not fall over or does it crash alot???

is there a case stability rating??

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
yiffys also probably talking about the fact that Lian-Lis are made out of aluminum so they generally have lower temperatures

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenut
yiffys also probably talking about the fact that Lian-Lis are made out of aluminum so they generally have lower temperatures
how many cases ARN'T aluminum? Im pretty sure my $50 3 year old case is solid aluminum...

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee
how many cases ARN'T aluminum? Im pretty sure my $50 3 year old case is solid aluminum...
Most cases arent aluminum... Aluminum cases cost more, and you'll have a hard time finding a decent alumnum case for $50 bucks.

Stability??? I think yiffy meant quality of the build, sturdiness...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evil XP2400
Most cases arent aluminum... Aluminum cases cost more, and you'll have a hard time finding a decent alumnum case for $50 bucks.

Stability??? I think yiffy meant quality of the build, sturdiness...
What are they usually made out of?

And how much of a difference in temps could it really give? I mean, as long as you have at least 2 case fans (i'l always run a min of 4) I doubt the case will make a big difference in temps..

Unless you run no case fans... Like some of my friends seem to do, as the air inside there case is HOT

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
real aluminum is pricey... other cases are usually sheet metal or something like that

well yiffy said quality and stability, implying he meant them separately... Im not gonna speculate on what he meant, we could both be wrong... lol

anyway, lian-li cases and the like have been shown, depending on what else is in the case, to drop temperatures quite a bit

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towlieee
What are they usually made out of?

And how much of a difference in temps could it really give? I mean, as long as you have at least 2 case fans (i'l always run a min of 4) I doubt the case will make a big difference in temps..

Unless you run no case fans... Like some of my friends seem to do, as the air inside there case is HOT
The cheaper cases (70 and under) are usually made of SCC steel or some crap like that and that ones that use aluminum use really thin crap that doesnt give the case any sturdiness.

Aluminum has better thermal properties than steel so when you have your A/C on it will get/stay colder faster... It's also much much lighter than the steel cases, and at the same time very very strong. I'm sure it wont make a huge difference in temps, but every littlebit helps, and if the high ranked case makers are using it, then there must be a reason.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
by the way, I dont buy those expensive cases... I dont care what anyone says, they are not worth the premium... they arent that much better or different...

·
Registered
965 Posts
Quote:

Wow you guys are dense, yes by stability I meant build quality and sturdiness....

You calling us fat!!! =P

Im not dense, im big boned

Im just trying to learn... Ask all questions I can

Always thought my case was aluminum since its pretty light and a silverish color.. maybe its not I dunno..
I personally just always go for the case that looks the best for the money..

I would never spend $150 on a regular case, cause I know I can get one that looks just as good if not better for $60.. but thats just me..
I would have spent like $150 on a acrylic case, but now that i'v found em for $50... I wont spend over $75 on acrylic

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
yeah, it must be everyone else thats dense

we should have known what was meant when you didnt exactly explain it...

sheesh, where are my psychic powers these days

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well saying that case improved system reliability doesn't exactly make ya'll look that smart...

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
neither does using ya'll...

seriously tho, there are plenty of reviews that claim lian-lis aluminum cases improve system stability because of the lower temperatures

then again, paying 200 bucks for a case isnt my idea of intelligent either...

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
ha

all these jokes and I just realized without the ability to hear or see sarcasm this is turning out to look pretty hostile... lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts