Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
All AMD 64 cpu's are very good for gaming, the difference between the little 3000+ overclocked and a much more expensive cpu is not much at all given that the more expensive chip is not overclocked. What is wrong with the current cpu you are using?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
3000+ overclocked and if you dont mind paying an extra 20 bux or so the 3200+ to get that 10x multi to make ocing easier.
Or ya as relk said an opteron.

·
Banned
3,169 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damo.teh.Great

I think im going 2 go for a Opteron
i herd that the lowe models 144 are better for overclocking then ther higher.

Good luck in getting one, I live in Oz and have been waiting for 3 months trying to get a 144 or 146, I think the 148 is a bit more available so might just end up with one of them or a 3700+.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Forget about the upgraded cooling for now, it's more important you use the total cash towards the processor. I would recommend the 3700+ san diego or the cheapest opteron you can find. Make sure they are both "retail" and come with stock cooling.
You will have a killer chip that will overclock higher than anything else cheaper and on the stock cooler. Start slow.....put that $220 into the processor.
You will hate yourself later if you dont

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
I was pretty surprised by how well the stock AMD heatsinks work. Even with a couple of hours of gaming, MBM says I never even got over 29C.

(I can't wait until my 939 bracket for my xp-90 comes in, but I can't imagine getting much lower, though)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

Forget about the upgraded cooling for now, it's more important you use the total cash towards the processor. I would recommend the 3700+ san diego or the cheapest opteron you can find. Make sure they are both "retail" and come with stock cooling.
You will have a killer chip that will overclock higher than anything else cheaper and on the stock cooler. Start slow.....put that $220 into the processor.
You will hate yourself later if you dont

:withstupi :withstupi

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by erauman

:withstupi :withstupi

and you must kidding (edit) ....no other option is better than what I recommended...if you can think of one, I'd like to hear it....

·
Registered
355 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

and you must be on kidding (edit) ....no other option is better than what I recommended...if you can think of one, I'd like to hear it....

uh.....i quoted you....agreeing with you..lol

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by erauman

uh.....i quoted you....agreeing with you..lol

sorry, I dont understand those "i'm with stupid" smilies. I have always viewed them as insults....:withstupi

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
I have to agree with tytlyf on the better Opty option.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts