Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about building another system this spring or summer and want it to be more of a gaming rig. I also want to see how high I can overclock it, probably on liquid cooling. Which AMD processor do most people use to achieve clock speeds of up to 4.0 Ghz. or some where near there (with in 2 Mhz.)

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOmega View Post
Ocelot's right, it seems the 955's are OCing the best ATM.
So the 965 doesn't overclock as good as the 955? I need to know since I'm going to build a rig.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinton13 View Post
So the 965 doesn't overclock as good as the 955? I need to know since I'm going to build a rig.
You would think so. But the 955s prove to be better. Out of the top 5 AMD overclocks in the world, the 955 holds 4 of the spots compared to the 965 which holds one. http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
955 C3 is the best! I see people hit between 3.8-4.0 all the time (4.0 on air is rare with these chips but it happens. Most people can do it on water I think....)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post
955 C3 is the best! I see people hit between 3.8-4.0 all the time (4.0 on air is rare with these chips but it happens. Most people can do it on water I think....)
I've seen a good portion of the 4 GHz clocks on air. The Phenom II chips run less hot then the i7s because the lack of hyperthreading. As long as you have a good air cooler you could make 4 GHz easy.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOcelot View Post
You would think so. But the 955s prove to be better. Out of the top 5 AMD overclocks in the world, the 955 holds 4 of the spots compared to the 965 which holds one. http://valid.canardpc.com/records.php
Thank you very much. So back to the OP, the 955 overclocks best.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaceDriver52 View Post
I am thinking about building another system this spring or summer and want it to be more of a gaming rig. I also want to see how high I can overclock it, probably on liquid cooling. Which AMD processor do most people use to achieve clock speeds of up to 4.0 Ghz. or some where near there (with in 2 Mhz.)

555BE

Pulled 4.6+ GHz on water.

Benching in 4.4-4.5 range

Unless you are looking for a quad core... then by all means a 955 c3 stepping

·
Premium Member
3,538 Posts
955 C3. im on C2 right now[is already NOT BAD at all].
with 1.425V on 3837mhz.

probably could higher with OC with bus speed+ nb

·
Banned
435 Posts
965 and 955 are the same chip. It all depends the luck of the draw. The C3 965's overclock a tad better due to being binned chips. For sure 4Ghz with decent cooling, maybe 4.1Ghz on the 965. A few peeps got 4.2Ghz and all these numbers I have seen are stable.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts