·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also, i game a lot, with games such as Crysis / Left 4 dead / Empire Total War

Basically, Phenom 2 x3 720 BE, or Phenom 2 x4 940 BE

I will overclock it to 3.4 gh/z 24/7.

SUGGESTION TIME! (either 940 or 720...)

DONT SAY X3 720 BE AND UNLOCK 4TH CORE, remember, im on a MSI k9a2 Platinum v2...

So I'm not sure that works...

also, should i get the TRUE or Dark Knight-S1283V?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im asking for a heavy gamer, which processor is better for use up to 1-2 years,

Phenom 2 x3 720 BE, or Phenom 2 x4 940 BE

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i hear that the Phenom 2 x3 720 BE is also good, i'm asking to get which one :

Phenom 2 x3 720 BE
or
Phenom 2 x4 940 BE

also, should i get the TRUE or Dark Knight-S1283V?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
then again, i could have better gaming now, and save $80..... im torn apart lol, but now I'm leaning towards 720 BE, because I will get great air cooling and an Antec 1200, so i could OC for future applications.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashnburn_819 View Post
Is there a budget?
yes, but I'm upgrading about 400$, so
like 20-30$ would not matter so much...

Obviously if its like 2-3 C change, i would get the $38 dark knight.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Honey what should I get? Three or four? I don't care about the price.

FOUR YOU FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ikillerzi View Post
then again, i could have better gaming now, and save $80..... im torn apart lol, but now I'm leaning towards 720 BE, because I will get great air cooling and an Antec 1200, so i could OC for future applications.
Seriously, do you have a low budget? if you do, get the 720 and a Xig. If not, get the 940 and the TRUE.
And why oc for future applications when you can oc now?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by crashnburn_819 View Post
Seriously, do you have a low budget? if you do, get the 720 and a Xig. If not, get the 940 and the TRUE.
And why oc for future applications when you can oc now?

i would oc now, but im just saying, it wouldn't run out of value in 1 year

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSingh View Post
Honey what should I get? Three or four? I don't care about the price.

FOUR YOU FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never said i don;t care about price, my build is ultimately built around it, just saying if it came down to it, 80$ more would NOT be the END OF THE WORLD

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
I'd go with the 720 BE, I think. Not really a whole lot of use for the fourth core in gaming.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
For pure gaming I have heard that the X3 720 is a fantastic processor due to the extra cache and truth be told, not many games use more than 2 cores at the moment anyway. As for the cooler, the TRUE will outperform the Xigmatek but not by much and furthermore, the TRUE generally needs to be modded and fitted with some decent fans before it starts shining. I'd say go for a Dark Knight

• Rep+
Reactions: ikillerzi

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ikillerzi View Post

I never said i don;t care about price, my build is ultimately built around it, just saying if it came down to it, 80$ more would NOT be the END OF THE WORLD
Well, I assumed you didn't have a budget since you didn't state one in the OP. You just said "which one should I get".

The 720 is an excellent choice. You won't miss that one core too much. The only time it is used is for those 2 hours that you render. Three cores will handle anything for the next 2 years.

• Rep+
Reactions: ikillerzi

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
If you can't do the core unlock, go with the PII 940. The 940 is clocking just as well as the 720 anyways, quad core is always better than triple (at the same speed).

·
My claws fix anything
3,246 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSingh View Post
Well, I assumed you didn't have a budget since you didn't state one in the OP. You just said "which one should I get".

The 720 is an excellent choice. You won't miss that one core too much. The only time it is used is for those 2 hours that you render. Three cores will handle anything for the next 2 years.
Agreed, the 720 BE should be more than adequate for your needs for the next 2 years. Also, there is a combo deal with the normal Xig HDT 1283, where you got both for like $159, so you save even more money.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...t=Combo.163680

And if you want to get a spend alot on the cooler, I'd get the Noctua U -12P, but thats just more of a personal preference.

On my 720 BE with the Xig 1283, I have yet to break 39c under load... and thats with some pretty hefty vcore. I dont really think you can make a bad move with the cooler, as all will be able to keep up with it.

Good luck man

1 - 20 of 35 Posts