Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a i5-2500k PC, on a budget (hard to believe right?). My budget is $500 (for the whole computer), I could probably spare $15 or so more, but no more than that. I set my price low because I already have a HDD and CD/DVD Drive to use. I also have a case to use already.
My budget for the motherboard alone is $120-$140.

I was planning on getting the MSI P67A-G45 (B3); it is bundled with the i5-2500k on newegg, and it shaves $20 off by getting the combo. Plus today, they are having a sale of $15 off the MSI board, in addition to the $20 MIR it comes with.

I was reading some the negative reviews though and now I am bit nervous. Can anyone vouch for this board? This is my first build.

I was also looking at the ASUS P8P67, but it seems like that one has many more negative reviews (only 3 eggs). It was also in a bundle on newegg with the 2500k.

MSI also has the P67A-G43 (B3), from my research the only difference between this board and the G45 is a built in FireWire port (which I probably won't use anyway.) However, I didn't see really any reviews talking about the overheating PCH like the G45.

So yes, I could use some expert advice. Thank you!
smile.gif

Parts I currently have in my cart:

PSU: XFX CORE Edition PRO550w - $70 ($20 MIR)
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (1600) - $60 ($20 off instant, normally $80)
Cooler: Xigmatek Balder - $44 ($5 off instant)
CPU: i5-2500k - $220 ($20 off from combo)
Mobo: MSI P67A-G45 - $125 ($15 off instant, normally $140 plus $20 MIR)

·
New OCN got me like...
4,097 Posts
ASRock P67 Extreme4. It's slightly more than the two you're looking at, but it's still within your budget (assuming $500 is for the CPU+mobo). No overheating issues with this one either.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The G43/G45 are good budget boards. You can Crossfire and SLI on them so that's a major plus.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by onoz;14137663
ASRock P67 Extreme4. It's slightly more than the two you're looking at, but it's still within your budget (assuming $500 is for the CPU+mobo). No overheating issues with this one either.
I'm sorry, I forgot to post what I currently have in my cart (and prices)
biggrin.gif
. Check the OP for what I currently have in my cart.

OK, so I added the i5-2500k separately (no bundle), and my budget for just the motherboard is about $120-$140. And at $140 for the motherboard, I'm over-budget by $30. But if it's a really good board, it's a small price to pay for reliability. $160 for the motherboard is a bit too much.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N3Xus;14137685
The G43/G45 are good budget boards. You can Crossfire and SLI on them so that's a major plus.
Are you sure they can SLI now? I got a g45 on release & although it said sli on the mobo it wasn't sli capable.
I was thinking it needed a bios update but there were no new bios' at the time so I took it back & swapped it out for some sli action.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtW 420;14138265
Are you sure they can SLI now? I got a g45 on release & although it said sli on the mobo it wasn't sli capable.
I was thinking it needed a bios update but there were no new bios' at the time so I took it back & swapped it out for some sli action.
If you scroll down Linus himself says they're both SLI capable.
smile.gif

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtW 420;14138265
Does yours have the "issue" of PCH temps reading 100C+ ?

I didn't really want to surpass $500 on my whole build, but I was looking at some other... ehmm more stable motherboards in my price range and found this Gigabyte board. LINK

The Gigabyte in comparison to the MSI P67A-G45 (price, features, and ratings), which do you think is a better buy?

It's not really a high-end gaming rig, more like a Photoshop/Video Editing + medium gaming PC. So SLI isn't a huge necessity for me, but it's nice to have in case I decide to upgrade later.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
I only kept if for a day, when I couldn't get sli to work went back to the store & they couldn't either, so let me upgrade it for the Gigabyte ud4 I have now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts