Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,768 Posts
Strix B350F Gaming is coming out soon... The MSI tomahawk is pretty good. I would avoid asrock when looking at B350 boards. If you were looking at an R7 part as most of their boards are a 3 phase. But for R5 most boards should overclock just fine.

·
⤷ αC
11,278 Posts
MSI B350 Pro Carbon probably.

Reason: The PK632BA is slightly more efficient than the Onsemi 4C06N used on Gigabyte/ASUS B350 boards and superior to PK618BA used on some variants of Asrock B350 boards. Some Asrock B350 boards may have SM4337 + SM4336 but the SM4336 lowside is also less efficient. In terms of switching (high side) having 2 mosfets instead of one may result in similar total losses but it is over 2 mosfets (half the load). The rise/fall time son the MSI Pro Carbon's PK616BA aren't awesome but the low side makes up for it.

ASUS B350-F STRIX , maybe in the future may top it if it uses a proper PWM for 6 phases , the MSI + Gigabyte + Asrock ones for B350 do not
smile.gif

edit: Buildzoid's crashcourse in B350 boards if you want to watch it is informative

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the video, it helped clear up comparisons and questions I have been searching for but spinning wheels much of the time. I also have a R5 1600 and planning to get g.skill 3200 cl14 b-die.

After research and seeing the vid I decided on the MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon but it's at the top end of the price point for a B350 and almost to the Asus PRIME X370-PRO. Getting in this area between the two would It be better with the Asus or are they both overkill with the 6 core 1600.

I'm fine sticking with one of those but for the price I'm thinking the Prime X370 Pro is the way to go....thoughts? Also if they are both overkill for my CPU what other B350 would be recommended?

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

Reason: The PK632BA is slightly more efficient than the Onsemi 4C06N used on Gigabyte/ASUS B350 boards and superior to PK618BA used on some variants of Asrock B350 boards. Some Asrock B350 boards may have SM4337 + SM4336 but the SM4336 lowside is also less efficient. In terms of switching (high side) having 2 mosfets instead of one may result in similar total losses but it is over 2 mosfets (half the load). The rise/fall time son the MSI Pro Carbon's PK616BA aren't awesome but the low side makes up for it.

ASUS B350-F STRIX , maybe in the future may top it if it uses a proper PWM for 6 phases , the MSI + Gigabyte + Asrock ones for B350 do not
smile.gif
Are the temps reported in another thread (link below) really that high for the Gigabyte? I've seen posts saying that they weren't that hot. And is the Asrock B350 Pro 4 VRM realy that much cooler?
http://www.overclock.net/t/1629780/vrm-temps

Would the 3/6 phase Asrock B350 pro4 cpu vrm be a concern compared with the 4 phase vrm for most other models in terms of voltage stability?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

smile.gif

edit: Buildzoid's crashcourse in B350 boards if you want to watch it is informative
MSI looks solid board, but again, I would stick with those Asrock if I want to overclock.
A good example:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1629687/why-is-overclocking-harder-on-a-better-motherboard-gaming-pro-carbon/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.