Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a computer few days ago, this are the specs:

CPU: 3930k
MB: ASUS P9X79
GPU: 680 GTX
PSU: Corsair HX 1050
RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengance 1866MHz
Case: Thermaltake Chasar MK-1

One of the Sata ports on the board was bad out of the box (physical damaged) so ill sending it back to amazon, now should i get the same board? or get something different ? better?

I mostly game on this system, and was thinking to water cool it, with something like a H220...Ill probably try to get to that 4.7 Ghz magic number on this CPU
smile.gif

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,694 Posts
That board should take you to 4.7 easily, provided you didn't get a terrible overclocking cpu. That is MASSIVE PSU overkill though. You could easily run tri 680's on that 1050.

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
Because it is the best X79 board out. It is made for Overclockers, it has tons of features and is rock solid. That is why it is worth the price.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingforlife View Post

Because it is the best X79 board out. It is made for Overclockers, it has tons of features and is rock solid. That is why it is worth the price.
But like you have that board, with good water cooling, but only running your CPU at 4.6, people with cheaper boards achieve higher OCs

·
Washed Up Old Gamer
4,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermiguel View Post

maybe i can change the PSU as well.. I mean for the $200 difference price wise is it worth it, going to the RIVE? why would you pay that much for a board?
The RIVE is for the most extreme of enthusiasts. If your goal is 4.7, I don't think it's worth the 200$ premium.

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
I run 4.6 daily, I also use my board under phase for 5.2GHZ+

My chip will do 4.9ghz @ 1.5v under water and im using a 480mm RAD. It depends on how good a chip you get as I would not run past 1.45v 24/7 under water.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Who Dat View Post

The RIVE is for the most extreme of enthusiasts. If your goal is 4.7, I don't think it's worth the 200$ premium.
What makes it so much better at overclocking than the others..? Like how it compares high end boards like the the MSI Big Bang-XPower II or Sabertooth, or even the AsRock x79 Champ

1 - 9 of 9 Posts