Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, I was planning on building a new pc soon and I was wondering what would be the best budget cooler (air or aio) on the market for overclocking it. I am planning to overclock it from 4.2 to 4.7 or maybe 5.0. my budget is preferably 20 to 40 dollars but if its really necessary 60 ish is my max.

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
Well, CLCs cost at least 30% and usually 50-100% more than good air coolers, so that rules CLCs out full stop. But we need to know what case, motherboard and RAM you are using to be able to know what coolers will fit. ;)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Noctua NH-D15 if it will fit. Great cooler and is a budget cooler if you are pricing it next to a full custom loop.

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
While NH-D15 is not as expensive as CLCs, it is one of the most expensive air coolers make .. definitely not a 'budget' cooler.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
While NH-D15 is not as expensive as CLCs, it is one of the most expensive air coolers make .. definitely not a 'budget' cooler.

I was more just pointing out that budget is subjective, yes the D15 is one of the most expensive air coolers, it is also the best and for that price I don't think it can be beaten. I was also comparing it to spending thousands of a full loop, because compared to that its very definitely a budget option.

A more appropriate question from the OP would be I want to spend between $xx and $xx, what would be my best option ?

·
Registered
230 Posts
He says $40-60

A cryorig H7 if its available in your country . Noctua NH U12s is good too. Hyper 212 is an option if your choices in you area are limited. Dont bother with 120mm CLCs.

You wont get more than 4.8ghz out of any of these.

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
I was more just pointing out that budget is subjective, yes the D15 is one of the most expensive air coolers, it is also the best and for that price I don't think it can be beaten. I was also comparing it to spending thousands of a full loop, because compared to that its very definitely a budget option.

A more appropriate question from the OP would be I want to spend between $xx and $xx, what would be my best option ?
Yes, it can be beaten .. in cooling, noise level and and price
NH-D15 is no better than about a dozen others, all costing less cooling as well (a few better) or within 2c and at similar noise levels. Silver Arrow IB-E, Dark Rock Pro 3, PH-TC14PE, Le Grand Macho RT, TRUE Spirit 140 Power, NH-D14, NH-U14S and R1 Ultimate to name a few .. some are about 30% less expensive.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've never seen the D15 beaten for cooling performance by any air cooler in any review or chart I have seen.

·
⤷ αC
11,240 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
I've never seen the D15 beaten for cooling performance by any air cooler in any review or chart I have seen.
Then you have probably been looking at cooler reviews done by reviewers using their own built system .. which are only comparing out their system performs with different coolers. Results are very different when testing cooler perform with all having the same temperature air flowing into them. ;)

Most reviews test coolers in complete build inside of case setup using stock case fans flowing about half as much air as CPU and GPU fans flow and basing cooler performance on delta temps measuring air temp in room at beginning and end of test. Unless you have an identical system setup you will get different results than they do.

To accurately test coolers we need to monitor air temp going into cool are same time as CPU temp. Inside a case after running a stress test for 10 minutes with only the stock case fans the air temp going into cooler will easily be 10-20c warmer than room .. maybe 25-30c warmer.

Here is testing done on open bench with adjustable wattage synthetic CPU showing 4 best cooling all within 1c of each other.
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11407/140-mm-slim-tower-cpu-cooler-roundup/7

Here is Le Grand Macho RT and NH-D15
https://www.anandtech.com/show/11407/140-mm-slim-tower-cpu-cooler-roundup/7

and here
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermalright/Le_Grand_Macho/6.html

Any review showing CLCs giving CPUs temps significantly cooler than top tier air is not accurately testing coolers but instead testing cooler performance in their system. This is especially true if CPU temps are not very close to the same with both air and CLC cooler fans at same sound level. Even CLCs at full speed making much more noise than air coolers all testing done with air the same temp flowing into both air coolers and CLCs, then CLCs will cool up to about 5c cooler than top tier air coolers. But that is with CLCs making 5-8 times as much noise as air cooler. :p

·
Senior OCN Member
39,907 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,918 Posts
Cryorig H7 cooled my 7700K just fine ... before I killed the 7700K. :D

Still rocking one on my 6700 @ 1.4v and handled my 6400 at the same voltage just fine.

Maybe go for the H5 if you can afford it, but the H7 does me well.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Deepcool has a lot of great budget options like the Neptwin v2. It's $55 and is also one of the better coolers you can get.
It's already been said but the H7 is a better option if you want a single tower or just don't want to spend as much.

5ghz is actually pretty easy these days, especially delidded.
The 212 isn't even a good cooler for the price but it was enough for me to get 5ghz on a 3 year old 4690k (as seen in my sig).

There are so many great options out there it's really hard to say which is better for the money, especially when delidding makes almost any cooler a great cooler.

·
Premium Member
27,145 Posts
I had forgotten about that thread. With your list combined with one I posted there are 25+ alternative coolers to choose from. Shop around because there are usually 5 or 6 on sale at any given time. 212 may be okay if it's less than $20. :p

Personally I think the Neptwin V2 is over-priced for 120mm fanned twin tower. For $55 there are many much better coolers. I think the Scythe Fuma is much better 120mm fanned twin tower. It performs about the same as the best do and is only $46.99 at Newegg .. but I don't think $46.99 is budget. To me budget is $25-35. ;)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9ZH6CU1449

All that said, the more cooling you have the better when overclocking because it means higher overclock and lower temps .. and bigger coolers don't need as much / fast airflow so remain quieter too.

Probably the best cooler to cost is something like TRUE Spirit 140 Power for $49.99 on Amazon.com. I think it's better than Fuma if you have the room in your system.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts