Overclock.net banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short I ordered another AM3 motherboard that supports SLI, so now I have an extra one, and enough spare parts to get it going as well.

This will be a dedicated 24/7 folding rig so I'd like to try to pick up a processor that will pump out decent PPD but not break the bank as I'm already folding roughly 24/7 on 2 GTX 480's and an x4 955.

Right now newegg has 955's for $110 shipped, I usually only get 5-6k PPD out of it while folding with 2 GPU's but I remember by itself it got 8-10K ish, is there any other processor that can match/beat that for less/same cost?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,801 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
If you don't need a HSF you could get one of these. I've folded on a 620 @ 3.25Ghz and it gets ~6.5k PPD. The extra cache on the Phenoms dosen't make much of a difference for folding.

• Rep+
Reactions: csm725

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
If your board is a solid HT-overclocker the 1055T can achieve ~pretty much the same levels as the BEs, I'm running a [email protected] with between 27-50k PPD on -bigadv, ~22k on regular SMP under Ubuntu 10.04.

As I understand it my X6 needs a lot of voltage to run @4Ghz (1.55V in Win) and won't do it in Ubuntu, 1.55V is absolute max what I want to run it at. Don't know prices where you are but I think it's more fun/challenging to overclock a CPU with locked multi but if a 1090 can be had for around the same price go with that.

·
Premium Member
46,127 Posts
Mine doesn't even do 3.8Ghz at 1.44v.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac
View Post

Mine doesn't even do 3.8Ghz at 1.44v.

Fail overclock Z, get too it!

·
Premium Member
5,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega17;14239766
1.55V is massive V for 4.0
eek.gif
Hell yea, it's a bad, bad CPU so I had to grill it a bit
tongue.gif
. It's at [email protected] now (it does a bit over [email protected] in Win but isn't stable folding under Linux), still high but temps are in check and I'm not that worried for the life of the chip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega17;14239766
The 1090T will do 4 on ~1.44 [depending on the chip], plus it has the Black Edition benefit of multiplier OC'ing
wink.gif
BE sure has advantages compared to non-BE, especially with bad motherboards. In my previous board this CPU couldn't manage more than 3.7 (~263MHz HT) in long term folding stability in Ubuntu with >1.5V. And now there isn't much more money for a 1090 than a 1055 (at least here) so it's a safer/more boring choice.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
I wouldn't bother getting anything but a hex to be honest - the PPD/W just isn't worth it until you get to either hex or Sandy Bridge and start getting the big bonuses. For a GPU folding rig I'd just get an Athlon II X2 to feed the GPUs and not bother with SMP at all.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_beast;14255536
I wouldn't bother getting anything but a hex to be honest - the PPD/W just isn't worth it until you get to either hex or Sandy Bridge and start getting the big bonuses. For a GPU folding rig I'd just get an Athlon II X2 to feed the GPUs and not bother with SMP at all.
^I agree with this
smile.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts