1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
LOL. Made me look twice.

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
When you say $500, are you talking USD or CAD?

Also, what kind of photography will you be doing?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sintricate
View Post

Are cameras ever used to anything other than photography? lol

Paperweight? lol

·
Banned
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by r31ncarnat3d
View Post

When you say $500, are you talking USD or CAD?

Also, what kind of photography will you be doing?

lol yes I ninja edited.

But I would assume 500$ should be able to get me a decent SLR?

Im talking CAD, and I will be doing a variety of photography.

I would need something for motion as well as still shots.

Also if 500 CAD isnt enough how much more am I going to have to spend?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmo_9000 View Post
lol yes I ninja edited.

But I would assume 500$ should be able to get me a decent SLR?

Im talking CAD, and I will be doing a variety of photography.

I would need something for motion as well as still shots.

Also if 500 CAD isnt enough how much more am I going to have to spend?
If you are buying new, $500 cad before taxes will get you the cheapest and lowest end DSLR possible if you are buying new. That is with the cheapest kit lens available, most likely the 18-55mm (not sure if you can get an IS or non IS) with a Canon XS- not sure about the nikon equivalent.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
$500 USD is kinda bare minimum for a DSLR and lens. My wife has the the Olympus E-510 and it works very well. You can find the newer model, the E-520 for $479 USD on Buy.com: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ingid=66778221

We both like the E-510 and E-520 because you can use the LCD screen to frame the picture (feature is typically called "live view") while in any mode. Canon only allows you to do that in one mode and Nikon doesn't do it at all. The Olympus is also very easy to use as are Canons. Nikons typically are more complicated.

Olympus, Canon, and Nikon all make excellent cameras. Do some shopping around and see what model you can find for your budget. And shopping used might make your money go further.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
nikon d3000 or canon xsi are good starters.

if u want video, ur gonna need to go to at least a d5000 in nikon.. and i think its a t1i for canon.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yea if you want to do motion you need at least a canon T1I I used to have a XSI amazing little camera and i could do live view in every single picture mode so idk what e_dogg is talking about but mine could do live view all i had to do was hit a button didn't matter what mode it was in. But if your talking video and quality your looking at canon or Nikon and your going to be spending a good amount of cash for a IS lens The good thing about Sony/Olympus the image stabilization is built into the camera body so you don't have to buy the expensive IS lenses.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xgeko2
View Post

Yea if you want to do motion you need at least a canon T1I I used to have a XSI amazing little camera and i could do live view in every single picture mode so idk what e_dogg is talking about but mine could do live view all i had to do was hit a button didn't matter what mode it was in. But if your talking video and quality your looking at canon or Nikon and your going to be spending a good amount of cash for a IS lens The good thing about Sony/Olympus the image stabilization is built into the camera body so you don't have to buy the expensive IS lenses.

Interesting...when we were shopping for the camera, the live view button would only work in "P" mode on the XSi and the saleman said that was Canon's limitation on it. Maybe they changed that but it was only a couple of years ago.

Also, good point about the image stabilization. Lenses are still pretty expensive ($300-500) but not quite as much as a Canon IS lens ($500-1000).

Edit: Here we go - source

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canon's Website

Be sure you're shooting in P, Tv, Av, M, or the A-DEP exposure modes The camera is designed so that Live View is intentionally disabled in the full-auto modes, such as the Green Zone, Portrait mode, Landscape mode, and so on. If you want to have the convenience of totally automatic exposure along with Live View, use the P (Program) mode - it sets shutter speeds and apertures totally automatically, like the Green Zone mode, but now allows access to all menu settings, including Live View.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by e_dogg
View Post

$500 USD is kinda bare minimum for a DSLR and lens. My wife has the the Olympus E-510 and it works very well. You can find the newer model, the E-520 for $479 USD on Buy.com: http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...ingid=66778221

We both like the E-510 and E-520 because you can use the LCD screen to frame the picture (feature is typically called "live view") while in any mode. Canon only allows you to do that in one mode and Nikon doesn't do it at all. The Olympus is also very easy to use as are Canons. Nikons typically are more complicated.

Olympus, Canon, and Nikon all make excellent cameras. Do some shopping around and see what model you can find for your budget. And shopping used might make your money go further.

Agreed, I was going to recommend the olympus line as well. If you can save up a couple more dollars, the e-620 has IS built into the camera and is normally found in a 2 lens kit (14-42mm & 40-150mm). I think i paid around 700 on sale at Worst Buy and it's fantastic, however, there is no video, pics only. Check them out. Keep in mind that Cannon and Nikon make great cameras too! I just found the olympus to be the best value (adjustable LCD FTW).

·
Premium Member
4,206 Posts
Olympus E-510 and E-520 also have in-body stabilization (definitely better on the 520, though) and are noticeably cheaper than the E-620.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laboitenoire View Post
Olympus E-510 and E-520 also have in-body stabilization (definitely better on the 520, though) and are noticeably cheaper than the E-620.

I thought they might, but wasn't 100% sure. I would take a look at these. The kit lense(s) are actually quite good!

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by laboitenoire
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishman78
View Post

I thought they might, but wasn't 100% sure. I would take a look at these. The kit lense(s) are actually quite good!

Yeah, our E-510 has the IS built into the body. It's an excellent camera.

Also, if you want a more compact camera, the E-420 is a little less expensive and also a digital IS built in (rather than mechanical like the E-520). We didn't love the small grip on the E-420 but the lighter weight was nice.

The Olympus kits come with Zuiko lenses which are every bit as good as a Nikkor or Canon lens.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts