Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend recently got a Sony Ericsson X10 and it's made me want to go to android more then ever, but unfortunately I'm not of the age of where I can go to contract and my parent's aren't in the best financial position to do it via them...

So after saving up for one, what is the best android handset???

"Saving up" being crucial for the budget wise so it can be of a reasonable budget and it must also be for the U.K

·
Registered
85 Posts
LG Optimus GT540. Got it to replace the crap Samsung Jet that I made the mistake of buying before (powerful hardware let down by the steaming turd that is Touchwiz 2.0). Android 1.6 'Donut' rocks.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've looked at it
Probably is going to be the one I'm getting, I just like to check with the professionals before I make my decision

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
I would look for handsets that AT MINIMUM have 2.1 installed. 1.5/1.6 are old, unsupported, and many apps aren't available for them. Not only that, anything with 1.6 currently means the support for it sucks, and it will never go farther.

I'm unfamiliar with available handsets in the UK (if you know of a good list, I'd take a look), but something like the HTC aria if it's available. It's quite snappy, runs 2.1, and there is still hope for a 2.2 upgrade for it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jeffaruni

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Do they require you to have a data plan in the UK?

·
Registered
85 Posts
BTW - An Android 2.1 'Eclair' update for the Optimus will be released soon. According to LG, it is out of beta testing and will be available for download shortly. So there's hope.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You CAN buy the handsets on their own over the in the UK, but it's extortionate for me over here, the Galaxy S, is £430 which equates to about $670, so for a 17 year old still in full time education over here, it's not practical, might be solved though as I may be able to go on contract via my grandmother...

Thanks anyway guys for the help! Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by snowshoe View Post
BTW - An Android 2.1 'Eclair' update for the Optimus will be released soon. According to LG, it is out of beta testing and will be available for download shortly. So there's hope.
I'd wait then. There have been a few manufacturers that have 2.1/2.2 roms coming, then they vanish off the face of the earth.

·
Premium Member
4,953 Posts
Might want to take a look at the Orange San Francisco, it's similiar to the T-Mobile pulse but with more ram which was the main thing that crippled the Pulse

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phon...Orange-in-grey

Only £100, once rooted and some custom roms become available it will be a great little phone for the money. Many pulse owners seem to be switching to it, that said, the Pulse aint bad for £80 either once you install 2.1, a2sd and OC a little.

and yeah I know I'm a little late to the thread

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've got a HTC Wildfire on 3 which was pretty good value. I pay £20 a month (two year contract) and for that I get 1GB internet, 5000 minutes, unlimited 3-to-3 minutes and 5000 texts.

I think the retail cost of the Wildfire is close to £400, so it almost feels like getting the phone on a loan and then having unlimited usage.

Contract is the only way to go I think.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Or you can really cheap out and get a Polaris or Kaiser for around 80 bucks and hack android onto it, works nearly flawlessly and has Froyo. Easy too, plus updated graphics drivers and OC'd processor

Battery life is in the neighborhood of 1-2 days. Check it out at xda-developers.com. I had a Vogue and it was good while it lasted, but I have to admit, that LG is a better phone. Just sayin' since you wanted a "cheap" option...

·
Premium Member
11,332 Posts
LG Ally....it's for sure getting a Froyo update too.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I got an HTC Tilt. 50 bucks shipped, hacked Android.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts