Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm going to be traveling a bit during the next few months, and am in search of some good closed back headphones. Also, I would like these for gaming as well, since I don't wanna wake up my roommate.

So what are your recommendations? I've been eyeing the a700 from audio technica, but are there any others that you would recommend that would be better?

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
ATH-M50

ATH-A700 is a bit lacking IMO, and the two are near the same price range, so go for the m50s.

• Rep+
Reactions: Space Pope

·
Registered
9,178 Posts
I just got the RX900s and there pretty good. I wasn't able to find the A700s for less then $100.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'm also going to go ahead and recommend the A700's, I love them they are great for games because of their vast soundstage (especially for being closed). While the bass isn't thumping on your head, All bass notes are very clear, and it gives enough "oomph" to let you know its there. I don't really like thumping bass anyway, these cans were perfect for me

So it may put you a little bit over the $100 mark, but in my opinion it is very well worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,995 Posts
Of the two (A700 and M50) personally I prefer the M50's-
For two reasons a) a touch more base, and b) I'm still undecided about the the 700's "Batwing" headband style; although supremely comfy I'm dubious about it's durability.

The M50 cans can be found for $99 (shipped) with either a coiled cord or straight (ATH-m50s)
IIRC I did "Best Offer" and got mine for $90
(don't forget your eBay 8% cashback from MS/Bing)
Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you want another option, consider the Tritton AX720. I carefully read up on tons of reviews for a wide array of headphones and headsets, and the AX720 seemed like the only headset option that never really got consistant review cons of any nature unlike every other headset in the price range (or below). You will exceed your budget a little bit though... can be bought on eBay $100 open box, don't know about US e-tailers. It's a steal at that price though... Some things to consider, especially if you want to travel with these:

1. requires a TOSLINK connection for (simulated) 5.1; otherwise you can convert connection to regular 3.5mm audio + mic jacks for 2.1.

2. uses a "dolby decoder box", the 720 AMP, for some audio enhancements. Must pass headset connection (looks like PS/2) through 720 AMP first to get usage of TOSLINK. 720 AMP box is extra set-up for traveling headset.

3. I think cord is 15 meters, but comes with velcro cord fastener and a little clip on cord.

4. Some say it could have more bass, but I like it just the way it is since I often hear loud explosions every 3 seconds for minutes on end in my game of choice (heh).

IMO, great sound quality; beats the quality out of my retired Razer Barracuda HP-1 headset, which has durability issues, true 5.1 analog, and costs more. If I didn't mention a potential concern, assume that it is no problem with the AX720. TOSLINK (small, included) unlocks full potential, but AX720 does fine on regular green jack (IMO).

Enough fanboygasm... I've heard good things about the SteelSeries Surround 5H and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro that has already been mentioned. I'm not particularly familiar with this Audio Technica company that keeps getting recommended lol. Try this site for a good collection of reviews on a wide range of parts--I find it especially helpful since uses sources beyond the typical OC review circle.

GL in the hunt.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctr2yellowbird
View Post

If you want another option, consider the Tritton AX720. I carefully read up on tons of reviews for a wide array of headphones and headsets, and the AX720 seemed like the only headset option that never really got consistant review cons of any nature unlike every other headset in the price range (or below). You will exceed your budget a little bit though... can be bought on eBay $100 open box, don't know about US e-tailers. It's a steal at that price though... Some things to consider, especially if you want to travel with these:

1. requires a TOSLINK connection for (simulated) 5.1; otherwise you can convert connection to regular 3.5mm audio + mic jacks for 2.1.

2. uses a "dolby decoder box", the 720 AMP, for some audio enhancements. Must pass headset connection (looks like PS/2) through 720 AMP first to get usage of TOSLINK. 720 AMP box is extra set-up for traveling headset.

3. I think cord is 15 meters, but comes with velcro cord fastener and a little clip on cord.

4. Some say it could have more bass, but I like it just the way it is since I often hear loud explosions every 3 seconds for minutes on end in my game of choice (heh).

IMO, great sound quality; beats the quality out of my retired Razer Barracuda HP-1 headset, which has durability issues, true 5.1 analog, and costs more. If I didn't mention a potential concern, assume that it is no problem with the AX720. TOSLINK (small, included) unlocks full potential, but AX720 does fine on regular green jack (IMO).

Enough fanboygasm... I've heard good things about the SteelSeries Surround 5H and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro that has already been mentioned. I'm not particularly familiar with this Audio Technica company that keeps getting recommended lol. Try this site for a good collection of reviews on a wide range of parts--I find it especially helpful since uses sources beyond the typical OC review circle.

GL in the hunt.

No.

·
Audio File
3,815 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xhassassin
View Post

ath-m50

ath-a700 is a bit lacking imo, and the two are near the same price range, so go for the m50s.

off the team.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tombom View Post
off the team.
How's it going without me? Still getting rolled every scrim not against team shotgun?

Erm, if you're going with benefits for gaming I'd go with open backed, which I would recommend the ATH-AD700s for your price range.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts