Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been pondering this for a while, what is the best cooling method that is NOT watercooling?

I am getting my Q6600 in the week and am going to try it with my Zalman 9700LED for the time being as it's a very good cooler. I was leaning towards the Ultra 120 extreme if the Zalman doesn't do a good enough job. But i can now get hold of a Tuniq Tower (was out of stock for ages). A TEC was another idea but have heard they are a total pain in the ***. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Someone asked this question yesterday. Tuniq, Ultra, Enzo.

You already know my temps on the Enzo and they haven't been beaten on Air yet.

·
Premium Member
6,065 Posts
I have the 120 extreme but not a quad core. I'm pretty sure that this would be one of the best air cooler's but there are a few other's that could cool enouogh.
heres a pic on what kind of temp I get with the 120 but like I said it's not a quad...

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was just reading your post, and I had to comment, the Q6600 is $266 on July 22nd buddy!! Just wait it out! I know its hard, I'm on my 2nd month of waiting to build my comp and its killing me, but you can use the extra $250 on more memory or anything

·
Banned
9,264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jokesonme
View Post

I was just reading your post, and I had to comment, the Q6600 is $266 on July 22nd buddy!! Just wait it out! I know its hard, I'm on my 2nd month of waiting to build my comp and its killing me, but you can use the extra $250 on more memory or anything

seconded.
best air: Thermalright 120 Extreme
best extreme: Phase/TEC

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I think performance wise, the TR120 Extreme and the Tuniq are pretty neck and neck. I have server of both and I would say they are both good choices.

But... Performance aside...
The TR120 Extreme was much easier to mount than the Tuniq. Long screws on the TR120 vs thumb screws on the Tuniq. Because the fan is mounted inside the Tuniq, the heatsink fins overlap the thumbscrew so installing can be tough. Sure, you have to take the motherboard out for the initial install, so it is not so bad, but if you have to reseat you HSF, it can be a huge pain. Small hands and a wide open case, or removing the entire motherboard again, are about the only ways to make it simple to reseat. The TR 120 Extreme is much easier to work with.

Performance: Tuniq Tower = TR 120 Extreme
Ease of installation and removal: TR 120 Extreme >> Tuniq Tower

You should include some extra money to get solid fan for the TR 120 Extreme, as it does not come with one.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I didn't get to try the Enzo with a fan and I haven't seen anyoen else's on air temps with another Quadcore to compare and contrast. Only Graysky who had the Lapped 120 Extreme + Fan.

Enzo + Stock fan beat that and my ambients are higher. So that's something to consider. But, if you don't trust new guys you best stick with the 120-Extreme!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts